146 replies to this topic

#1 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:16 AM

And by the sounds of it, a heavyweight one at that:

Red Wings GM Ken Holland gave the Detroit News's Chris McCosky a roster update, and in doing so, he revealed that his one personnel goal during free agency involves adding someone who can drop the gloves when necessary:

"You'd like to bring in a Brad May or an Aaron Downey-type player, but if it's not there, it's not there," Holland said. "If we can't fit it in, we would go without it. It's just impossible to address every single need in a cap world."

If the Wings can't find a fourth-liner with bite, however, Holland suggests that the Wings have enough toughness to get the job done without a dedicated enforcer:

"We have some size on the back end, as well," Holland said. "We'd like an enforcer type, yes, but it has to be the right fit. We'll watch what moves are made over the next couple of months and see what shakes out."

Link Studies

I think this is more Mike Babcocks doing than Hollands, but its all good anyway! :clap:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#2 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:21 AM

There will be huge competition for those bottom 2 lines...

So they won't sign a D-man for that 6th spot? They will go with Ericsson-Kindl/Janik? huh?

Edited by mindfly, 22 June 2010 - 08:21 AM.

#3 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

I think he earlier said he's looking to sign an enforcer and that comment is more like saying he maybe won't be able to sign one after all. "If it's not there, it's not there." "If we can't fit it in, we would go without it." I wouldn't also be so sure about that heavyweight thing. He's just referring to two former team members who could fight.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 22 June 2010 - 08:29 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#4 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:25 AM

:thumbup: All for it
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#5 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

I think this is more Mike Babcocks doing than Hollands, but its all good anyway! :clap:

Why do you think that exactly? Was getting Hudler for example more Holland's doing then?

I think Babcock affects in all player moves regarding the big club. I wouldn't say he's any more pro-enforcer than Holland is. Babcock after all likes his team to control the puck and have the possession. I think that strongly involves players like Hudler.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 22 June 2010 - 08:28 AM.

#6 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

I think he earlier said he's looking to sign an enforcer and that comment is more like saying he maybe won't sign one after all. "If it's not there, it's not there." "If we can't fit it in, we would go without it." I wouldn't also be so sure about that heavyweight thing. He's just referring to two former team members who could fight.

That's pretty much exactly how I took it too. Holland has made this type of comment before during past off-season's and it seems to be his way of getting out of bringing in a player of that style. Bottom line, the Wings don't need another May/Downey. Unless Kenny can bring in a Drake-type of player, I hope he forgets the whole thing.

So they won't sign a D-man for that 6th spot? They will go with Ericsson-Kindl/Janik? huh?

Sidenote: Terrifying
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#7 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

It'd be nice if Holland would go out and get a guy who can play the game a bit and also drop the gloves, rather than pick up someone who gets minimal minutes and will only play 40 games a year. But that will cost some precious cap money and possibly personnel.

It's better than nothing I guess, but it'd be great to have a player like that around for a few years rather than this token effort Holland makes in the off season to pick someone up off the scrap heap.

#8 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:33 AM

It'd be nice if Holland would go out and get a guy who can play the game a bit and also drop the gloves, rather than pick up someone who gets minimal minutes and will only play 40 games a year. But that will cost some precious cap money and possibly personnel.

It's better than nothing I guess, but it'd be great to have a player like that around for a few years rather than this token effort Holland makes in the off season to pick someone up off the scrap heap.

Exactly! I'd be more than willing to lose a guy like Miller and likely another if it meant adding a Drake-type of player to a multi-year deal. Someone that's in your face and goes to the corners, is tough and will also drop 'em, but can also play the game and chip in offensively from time to time. That's the type of guy this team could use!
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#9 Ram

Ram

Tots

• Bronze Booster
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:44 AM

Well if not we can send Eaves and Abby to Bobby Probert's boxing school?

And not Ericsson. His ass needs to learn how to play defense first.

Edited by Ram, 22 June 2010 - 08:44 AM.

"Hey @Datsyuk13 really bro? On my bday...cmonnnn.. Someone fix that ice in the corner.." - @logancouture

#10 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

Here Holland is complaining about not being able to sign the guys he wants and having his hands tied due to the cap but yet is still considering throwing money away on Maltby. Christ man, put money where its NEEDED.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#11 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:47 AM

Why do you think that exactly? Was getting Hudler for example more Holland's doing then?

What are you on about with that?

Anyway, Babcock has always been pressing for a tough guy. He said he was pushing for Holland to sign Brad May five years ago and has always openly praised enforcers and his need for wanting someone to "keep the flies off" whilst Holland has always made these wiggle-room remarks.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:57 AM

ok, I'll bite...

He didn't say he was signing Hossa or re-acquiring Osgood a few years ago either... Holland is smart and will not reveal his cards... for all we know, he's planning on a blockbuster trade at the draft, followed up by a big FA signing on July 1st(HIGHLY UNLIKELY) - but I wouldn't rule anything out until the roster is set in stone... one way or another, I'm pretty convinced we will get some good sandpaper in here...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#13 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

What are you on about with that?

Anyway, Babcock has always been pressing for a tough guy. He said he was pushing for Holland to sign Brad May five years ago and has always openly praised enforcers and his need for wanting someone to "keep the flies off" whilst Holland has always made these wiggle-room remarks.

I was just thinking what you meant with that. I mean, Babcock probably affects every moves Holland makes concerning the big club. I just don't think Babcock affected Brad May signing any more than the Hudler signing for example.

I just got the image that you were saying Babcock is somehow more pro-enforcer and more after tougher players. I feel Babcock is one of the few coaches in the league who prefers skill over toughness in many situations considering they way he wants his team to play.

#14 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

I was just thinking what you meant with that. I mean, Babcock probably affects every moves Holland makes concerning the big club. I just don't think Babcock affected Brad May signing any more than the Hudler signing for example.

I just got the image that you were saying Babcock is somehow more pro-enforcer and more after tougher players. I feel Babcock is one of the few coaches in the league who prefers skill over toughness in many situations considering they way he wants his team to play.

I think this is what Babs wants -
11 skilled forwards dressed every night
1 tough forward dressed every night

any forward that is skilled and tough - MAJOR bonus...

Defense help more on the ice, than the box, toughness for a defenseman should be judged in areas other than dropping the mitts...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#15 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

He did! He said himself he was pushing for Holland to sign May for years! :scared:

And again, he is! His Anahiem teams were always tough, he's always openly praised his tough guys and enforcers in general...I dont know what else to say...

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#16 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

In Kenny I trust :thumbup:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#17 Mickey Redmond

Mickey Redmond

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:07 AM

if abby would drop the gloves we really wouldn't need an enforcer.
  • Ram likes this

#18 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:08 AM

if abby would drop the gloves we really wouldn't need an enforcer.

Is that because players would be scared of Abbys fearsome might? :rolleyes:

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#19 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:09 AM

Here Holland is complaining about not being able to sign the guys he wants and having his hands tied due to the cap but yet is still considering throwing money away on Maltby. Christ man, put money where its NEEDED.

Yes I agree.. Maltby, Ilary, last season add Willy, maybe Miller they are plugs of the wrong kind. I'm not for getting a bonafide goon that can't do anything but fight but some money needs to be spent on what our grind line needs... players that will grind, hit and fight on occasion. At this point I would be happy if our 4th line had players that will finish their checks with some authority and play some decent offense.

#20 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

I think you bolded the wrong part of his quote. He mentioned ideally he would like to grab an enforcer, but he also alluded to the slim pickings on the market, especially for the particular molding Holland would be looking for. He also said he has no problem going without one if need be. I take that whole quote as saying "I know I told you guys that I was going to sign an enforcer a couple weeks ago, but I don't know if I will so much anymore..."

edit: also "keep the flies off" is quickly becoming the most used Quote of Babcock on LGW.

Edited by Echolalia, 22 June 2010 - 09:16 AM.