Photo
- - - - -

Who Do The Wings Draft in the First Round?

• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#1 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

NHL draft is right around the corner and various pundits have the Wings picking either Teemu Pulkkinen, Vladimir Tarasenko, or Nick Bjugstad. Personally, I think we will end up taking somebody that nobody has ever heard of, then in 5-8 years, that person will be a an absolute stud...but that's just me :hehe:
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#2 WordonaWing

WordonaWing

Jr. Prospect

• 19 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

NHL draft is right around the corner and various pundits have the Wings picking either Teemu Pulkkinen, Vladimir Tarasenko, or Nick Bjugstad. Personally, I think we will end up taking somebody that nobody has ever heard of, then in 5-8 years, that person will be a an absolute stud...but that's just me :hehe:

The situation you describe is something that happens with draft picks from rounds 3-9.
Word on a Wing

#3 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

If Bjugstad falls into the Wings hands I'll probably dance in the street, you know? It's like, "Finally! A potential franchise center!!!"

#4 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Standing 6 feet, 5 inches tall. Weighing in at 215 pounds...

Dylan "The Villain" McIlrath!

#5 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

Standing 6 feet, 5 inches tall. Weighing in at 215 pounds...

Dylan "The Villain" McIlrath!

:thumbup: that's the only name i'm watching for in the 1st round.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#6 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

McIlrath for sure but with no shot of getting him the excitement for that better be dialed down.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#7 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

I think it'd be fun talk about players who are fair game for the Wings 21st pick and then vote on them. You can add the poll any time you want but I'm not sure exactly who's within the wide variety of players likely to be around at the 21st pick.

#8 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

McIlrath for sure but with no shot of getting him the excitement for that better be dialed down.

No shot? I've seen him hovering around 15th to 25th in some cases. I think after the Top 10 it's pretty much a crapshoot.

Edit: I just saw him at 10th overall too. Who knows.

Edited by Jesusberg, 22 June 2010 - 01:12 PM.

#9 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

what about Jarred Tinordi ?!

6'6 205lbs

The Insider Says
Bob McKenzie: The son of former NHL defenceman Mark Tinordi is an absolute physical beast, almost 6-foot-6 and still filling out a frame that is more than 200 pounds. He blew scouts away with physical testing at the Combine. Hes naturally aggressive, a heavy hitter, with outstanding leadership and character, as evidenced by his captaincy on what may be the best U.S. U-18 team ever. Tinordi will attend Notre Dame in the fall.

Bobby MAC has him going #23

#10 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

With Neidermayer retiring this afternoon, and the losses of Pronger, and Beauchemin - I wouldn't be too surprised if the Ducks draft a Dman with their 1st rounder, and that will probably be McIlrath.

Hope I'm wrong.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#11 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

With Neidermayer retiring this afternoon, and the losses of Pronger, and Beauchemin - I wouldn't be too surprised if the Ducks draft a Dman with their 1st rounder, and that will probably be McIlrath.

Hope I'm wrong.

Aren't the Ducks pushing for Kaberle ? thats what i heard

#12 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

No shot? I've seen him hovering around 15th to 25th in some cases. I think after the Top 10 it's pretty much a crapshoot.

Edit: I just saw him at 10th overall too. Who knows.

Good call. No shot is a bit much considering we have NO clue what will happen. If it happens I will gladly give you one of these :clap: especially for claiming your personal savior as the same I do, Hank Jesusberg.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#13 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:25 PM

I really do hope so. The Wings could really shore up on some physical defensemen. Kolosov hasn't made much of an impact in the AHL, just plays steady. I wonder if Brian Lashoff will be able to transition to the AHL. His two stints with the Griffins have looked really good, and I think he could turn out to be a pretty good overall player.

As the OP mentioned, I think they could go for Bjugstad as well. Detroit needs some depth at center in terms of prospects. McGrath crapped out and Emmerton hasn't really put up an impressive AHL season yet. Either way, I'm pumped for the draft big time. Highest pick since Kindl in 2005.

Oh... and Ken Holland. DO NOT TRADE THIS PICK!! :ranting: I sat through last year's draft to find out at the 29th pick, we made a trade. I like Tatar... but do not pull that s*** again Kenny... DO. NOT.

#14 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

Aren't the Ducks pushing for Kaberle ? thats what i heard

Some rumours have it that Leafs GM Burke would love to have Bobby Ryan heading to T.O. for a deal involving Kaberle (and probably a draft pick).

Mack Attack would know more about this than myself.

#15 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

Kirill Kabanov please

#16 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

I dont get the McIlrath love here. The kid hardly has any offensive upside and if it wasnt for his fighting and toughness he would just be another no name guy going late in the draft. If we want another Lilja we can get one through free agency and not waste our first rounder on one.

Anyways, the Wings always draft for skill, not size or toughness. Getting McIlrath would be a long shot especially for the Wings organization. Bjugstad looks like the high skilled center that could really make an impact on this team, but who knows who we will pick. Almost every mock draft has us going for someone different, there is no medium. This draft should be very interesting nonetheless.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:40 PM

Kirill Kabanov please

eh. no thank you.

I dont get the McIlrath love here. The kid hardly has any offensive upside and if it wasnt for his fighting and toughness he would just be another no name guy going late in the draft. If we want another Lilja we can get one through free agency and not waste our first rounder on one.

Anyways, the Wings always draft for skill, not size or toughness. Getting McIlrath would be a long shot especially for the Wings organization. Bjugstad looks like the high skilled center that could really make an impact on this team, but who knows who we will pick. Almost every mock draft has us going for someone different, there is no medium. This draft should be very interesting nonetheless.

Good post. I agree about the mock drafts especially. This thread was really just for speculation. Seems like everyone has a different opinion.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#18 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,342 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

While I know little of this kid - he does sound as though he'll make his way into the NHL as a tough as nails stay at home type Dman...He won't be the kind of guy who'll be in highlite reels during the reg season, but when it comes time for the playoffs - he'll be the guy who'll run the opposing forwards into the boards, clear the crease of the opposition, and block shots while playing on the pk, and from time to time he'll beat the snot outta guys like Tootoo, and Cooke.

We could use some of that on our team; nothing against Ericsson, Kronwall, Stuart, or Kindl, but none of these guys bring that sort of nastiness.

#19 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,539 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

Lovin the idea of Dylan McIlrath but as already mentioned,Anaheim will probably take him.Interesting article on the Tinordi kid,but why don't you guys let me know when Derian Hatcher's son is eligible to play :cool:
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#20 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Mcilrath does have some decent offensive upside, probably to be around what Brad Stuart is like. Plus he's as mean as Pronger, and as tough as Carkner.

He's the type of guy who might not put up points but you match him up against the opposing teams top forward and he'll run him through the glass all game. He obviously has talent if some people have him going top 10.

I'm still thinking John Macfarland at center could be a real possibility. He's getting Brendan Morrow comparisons and who wouldn't love a guy like Morrow on the red wings?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24