Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:54 AM

it would be cool to see him play with the wild...or the wings

#3 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

I must admit I do not know anything about the Stars prospects and this is a new cap world but to me this is a slap in the face to Modano. Let him decide if this is it he has earned that right.

#4 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:34 AM

I must admit I do not know anything about the Stars prospects and this is a new cap world but to me this is a slap in the face to Modano. Let him decide if this is it he has earned that right.

Dallas should have let him retire as a Star like Red Wings did with Yzerman. Modano was Star's Yzerman, but they certainly don't have the same loyalty as the Red Wings have. That's just another reason why the Red Wings are the best franchise in the NHL.

#5 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:41 AM

I would have to agree with you. That's pretty s***ty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years. I wouldn't mind seeing him come and play in Detroit to finish out his career since he's Livonia, Michigan native. Of course the #9 isn't available though ;)

Posted Image

#6 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

"Pick 'em up!"

#7 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

If Holland went after Modano, this would be a great off season. He'd still be a great third line center and we'd have the best third line in the league. I'm pretty sure we have the space.

DO IT HOLLAND!

Edited by Z and D for the C, 29 June 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#8 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

I would have to agree with you. That's pretty s***ty of the Stars orginization to do to Modano. He's been the staple in that franchise for years. I wouldn't mind seeing him come and play in Detroit to finish out his career since he's Livonia, Michigan native. Of course the #9 isn't available though ;)

99 is :ph34r:

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#9 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:31 PM

99 is :ph34r:

It should be :ranting: :ranting: :ranting:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#10 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:44 PM

Total classless move by the Stars organization.This guy has done nothing but play his heart out every game for 22 years in the organization,and they don't give him a contract to finish his career in Dallas?What a joke.He's been the face of the franchise forever.He's done incredible things for that organization and the city of Dallas.What af****** joke.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#11 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Not cool by Dallas.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to having him as a 4th line center.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#12 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I'm split on how I feel about this. On one hand, this is awful, and as the face of the franchise for the past 20 years he should have the ability to stay as long as he wants, at the right price of course. However, Nieuwendyk played with him for many years, and the two are probably on the same page. It is not the same situation as with Yzerman, as many of you suggest, because at that time, the Wings were still at the top of the standings. In the end it took Yzerman's retirement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to rise to prominence, and this is similar in Dallas, where they really just need to move forward and say "the team we have right now isn't working, we need to show everyone else we're moving on and in a different direction." I don't think it's as villainous as suggested to force Modano out, and I hope we bring him home to finish his career.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#13 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:42 PM

Totally agree. He's been with that franchise since they were the Minnesota North Stars. Could you imagine the Wings letting Yzerman go near the end of his career? Or the Avs letting Sakic go? Or the Rangers letting Messier go? All they had to do was sign him to a small deal and put him on the third line. There are certain players that have earned the right to decide when its time to end it. Modano has been the face of that franchise for 20 years, he's earned it.

Having said that, I would like to see him play a year in Detroit.

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:47 PM

I'm split on how I feel about this. On one hand, this is awful, and as the face of the franchise for the past 20 years he should have the ability to stay as long as he wants, at the right price of course. However, Nieuwendyk played with him for many years, and the two are probably on the same page. It is not the same situation as with Yzerman, as many of you suggest, because at that time, the Wings were still at the top of the standings. In the end it took Yzerman's retirement for Datsyuk and Zetterberg to rise to prominence, and this is similar in Dallas, where they really just need to move forward and say "the team we have right now isn't working, we need to show everyone else we're moving on and in a different direction." I don't think it's as villainous as suggested to force Modano out, and I hope we bring him home to finish his career.

Yzerman also retired at the beginning of the salary cap era. I'm not sure the Wings were fully hampered by the Cap at that point, and Yzerman was also playing on borrowed time to begin with. If Modanno is interested in playing, he doesn't have any nagging knee injuries holding him back. The Stars, however, have their team to focus on and a salary cap that won't rise for the face of the franchise.
But at the same time, you would think that a guy of his stature would deserve a little more class. I think its just one of those situations where ugliness was inevitable.

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

Totally agree. He's been with that franchise since they were the Minnesota North Stars. Could you imagine the Wings letting Yzerman go near the end of his career? Or the Avs letting Sakic go? Or the Rangers letting Messier go? All they had to do was sign him to a small deal and put him on the third line. There are certain players that have earned the right to decide when its time to end it. Modano has been the face of that franchise for 20 years, he's earned it.

Messier really doesn't fall into the same category as Sakic, Yzerman or Modano.

#16 ComradeWasabi

ComradeWasabi

the abdelgator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:24 PM

Messier really doesn't fall into the same category as Sakic, Yzerman or Modano.

Thank you.
QUOTE (thedisappearer @ December 13, 2008 - 10:13AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, we're dogpiling on the goalie sammy Hudler the defense the refs league bias against us coaching now? Ok.

Babcock is lazy and he sucks!

#17 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:40 PM

<br />Thank you.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Yeah, I was too about to point out that BAD example!!

Posted Image

#18 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,600 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:56 PM

On the other hand, I can understand the angle that Nieuwendyk is coming from.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#19 Rick Zombos Ghost

Rick Zombos Ghost

the jerk store

• PipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Time to come home Mike! and bring Pedro and Uncle Rico along..

#20 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Come get a cup for us. He can replace Maltby who is outta here.

I agree with everything you said.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.