• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1068 replies to this topic

#281 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:42 AM

Modano had ONE Stanley Cup ring TWELVE years ago this year!

I wouldn't exactly call that winning over and over again like some of the Wings players or Colorado players or New Jersey players. LOL

If he is STILL so good why has Dallas sunk the last two years and why have they let him go????

Some players just have to know when to hang it up!!!

Kind of reminds me of Schneider who won a cup his first year in the NHL as a rookie and was never able to repeat again.... even with the Wings. He was useless.

Yeah-- shocking that a 40 year old Modano who we're asking to be on our 3rd line couldn't raise the s***ty 09-10 Stars out of mediocrity.

You're brilliant! Quick-- someone call the Hall of Fame and tell them to scrap the future Modano exhibit because some troll discovered the all time highest scoring American isn't actually all that good.

Christ. Your already wafer thin credibility took another shot when you said Modano can't skate anymore (proving that you have know knowledge of him whatsoever).

Edit: limited the digs at Icecapades

Edited by Drake_Marcus, 07 July 2010 - 02:43 AM.

Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#282 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:54 AM

Tell me this is a bad dream.

Mike washed up Modano? Are they serious???

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#283 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

Tell me this is a bad dream.

Mike washed up Modano? Are they serious???

I know, best f***in dream ever.

My link

granted its 08-09, the Mouse still has some wheels! and a shot!!!

#284 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:24 AM

Yeah awesome, lets sign a 40 year old and dispose of potentially many years service of Eaves and Ritola. :thumbup:

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#285 Joseph Franks

Joseph Franks

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:37 AM

Good. Gives them competition. The more competition among the bottom 6 the better, IMO.

When you have potentially 9 or so guys playing for 6 slots, some of them have to up their game. Just another thing adding Modano does. I'm sure if Modano sucks it up this year Babcock will have no issue dropping his ice time, and increasing that of those who are doing well.

In the days of old we always lacked depth on the bottom six. So when they were slumping, we were just screwed.

I say....the more the merrier. Give them something to work for. Make every single player EARN his spot. Suddenly guys like Abby, Helm, Eaves and crew have a 40 year old legend playing for the same spots they want to have. If anything, I see it forcing everyone on the bottom six to up their game, when you've got 2-3 guys trying to edge back into the lineup all season long.

Kenny is a genius.

#286 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

If modano signs im gonna be all

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

#287 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

I know, best f***in dream ever.

My link

granted its 08-09, the Mouse still has some wheels! and a shot!!!

Yeh ....in 2008-2009 Modano had some real good wheels and a great shot..... that great shot got him a fantastic 15 goals and those great wheels made him a fantastic two-way player..... he was MINUS 13 !!!!! Give me a break!!! Any player on the Wings who is minus 13 does not get any kudos from the fans... that is for damn sure.

His point production has been decreasing steadily every year the last three years (from 57 to 46 to 30) while Dallas has been sinking in the standings.

And consequently his ice time has also been decreasing steadily over the last three years .... from 19:14 to 14:18. I guess it was the coaches fault for not playing him more. LOL.

And now that he is 40 years old do people honestly think he will get better. Give me a break! Quit living in the past!
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#288 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

If modano signs im gonna be all

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Really? You approve?

#289 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:02 AM

Absolutely.. I ignore the age factor and look at the upside, and it's most likely only for a year (can't see a two year deal) so i'm all for it...most on this board seem to be for it.. maybe 20% against?

#290 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 05:21 AM

4) I intend to hijack his plane back home, and force him to sign at gunpoint.

Sounds good! I'll order my Modano jersey now! :lol:

#291 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,603 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:25 AM

Absolutely.. I ignore the age factor and look at the upside, and it's most likely only for a year (can't see a two year deal) so i'm all for it...most on this board seem to be for it.. maybe 20% against?

Not even that, I'd say.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#292 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

My link

wow. He still has one of the quickiest realeases in NHL. He would be the best shooter in our team. Yes even better than Zetterberg. I'm for it.
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#293 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:01 AM

He could be the 2nd shooter in the shootout after datsyuk as well

Datsyuk
Modano
Bertuzzi

No more shootouts for Zetterberg...

Edited by mindfly, 07 July 2010 - 08:02 AM.

#294 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:08 AM

Yeh ....in 2008-2009 Modano had some real good wheels and a great shot..... that great shot got him a fantastic 15 goals and those great wheels made him a fantastic two-way player..... he was MINUS 13 !!!!! Give me a break!!! Any player on the Wings who is minus 13 does not get any kudos from the fans... that is for damn sure.

His point production has been decreasing steadily every year the last three years (from 57 to 46 to 30) while Dallas has been sinking in the standings.

Of course he's declining. Do you think the Wings would have any shot at all to get him if he wasn't at the end of his career? The Wings can't go out and get a great, All-Star caliber forward to center their third line; five years into the salary cap world, you have to get bargain players to fill out your roster, and Modano is a good value. If you can get 15 goals and 40ish points from your third line center? Fantastic, you're in business.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#295 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

im really digging the "modano blows cuz dallas blows" argument. i think everyone keeps forgetting that hes not going to be our captain and leader, but simply supplementary scoring to our already rock solid core.

everybody better get ready cuz he is for sure coming to the wings for a season. guaranteed.

and were gonna get him for under 1.5mil!

Edited by dinverno758, 07 July 2010 - 08:24 AM.

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#296 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Between $1m and $1.5m is what Ive just read. Kenny really wants his ally in the war against fighting in his building and is prepared to give up a younger guy or two as well as our ability to find a solid 3rd pairing dman.

Awesome.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#297 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:01 AM

Yeah awesome, lets sign a 40 year old and dispose of potentially many years service of Eaves and Ritola. :thumbup:

But we get a bit more 3rd line scoring! Because everyones always said "those Wings lack a bit of SCORING"...

No one has ever said that. Lets ignore our problems and defense and on the 4th line...what we need is more scoring even though Hudler's back <_<

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#298 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:02 AM

UK do you know what I read from your posts right now!
Posted Image

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#299 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:08 AM

Between $1m and $1.5m is what Ive just read. Kenny really wants his ally in the war against fighting in his building and is prepared to give up a younger guy or two as well as our ability to find a solid 3rd pairing dman.

Awesome.

Agree mate.

People who want Modano must feel that way because of his name. He isn't producing anywhere near as much as he used to, he's 40, he's got maybe a year left in him, and yet for that amazing package they'd want to see Eaves and Ritola leave. They are 26 and 23 respectively and could be solid Red Wings for many years to come.

#300 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,874 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:13 AM

Honestly because our defense right now is:

Lidstrom - still great but not getting any younger or faster
Rafalksi - very good but has his brain fart moments.
Stuart - stepped up in a major way in the first half of last season but hit the wall in the 2nd half
Kronwall - injury prone, didn't look himself last season
Ericsson - took two GIANT steps backwards in development last season
and..
Meech??

It's hard for me to care much about signing Modano because it's hardly the Wing's most pressing need. I know Holland said something to the effect of picking up a bottom pairing guy. But who? when?

Imagine this season if one of our top four D-men goes down. Or two??

Agree mate.

People who want Modano must feel that way because of his name. He isn't producing anywhere near as much as he used to, he's 40, he's got maybe a year left in him, and yet for that amazing package they'd want to see Eaves and Ritola leave. They are 26 and 23 respectively and could be solid Red Wings for many years to come.

This is another good point.

I'd rather take a chance on a young guy and hope he steps up than take a chance on an old one that we hope has gas left in the tank.

I would've loved to have Modano on the Wings, but several years ago. Not so much now.