• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

NHL's Most Unbreakable Records

Rate this topic

Guest Hatethedrake!

The following Red Wings record will never be broken...

NUMBER OF TIMES PER GAME RED WINGS FANS YELL SWEAR WORDS AT A RED WINGS PLAYER...118 CURRENTLY HELD BY JASON WILLIAMS. Actually Williams holds the top 5 records in this category with 110, 103, 100 and 96.

A lot of Gretzky's records that are not listed there are pretty unreal. 50 goals in 39 games, 92 goals in a season, 215pts in a season, 1,963 career assists, 163 assists in a season.

I don't think Gretzky's are untouchable, to be honest. Right now, they're astounding. But the game evolves so quickly. I'd say his totals could be broken within the next 15 or 20 years.

The no-brainer answer is Gretzky's point total record.

Also, Dave Schultz's 472 PIM's will never be broken, considering how often guys get suspended nowadays for things that wouldn't result in suspensions in those days.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The no-brainer answer is Gretzky's point total record.

Also, Dave Schultz's 472 PIM's will never be broken, considering how often guys get suspended nowadays for things that wouldn't result in suspensions in those days.

or Tiger Williams' 3966 career PIM. I have a tough time seeing anyone doing 200 a year for 20 years unless Vince McMahon takes over for Bettman.

or Tiger Williams' 3966 career PIM. I have a tough time seeing anyone doing 200 a year for 20 years unless Vince McMahon takes over for Bettman.

I thought that said Tiger Woods and then saw the number 3966 and then thought, "No way I'm sure Wilt Chamberlain has that number beat."

A lot of Gretzky's records that are not listed there are pretty unreal. 50 goals in 39 games, 92 goals in a season, 215pts in a season, 1,963 career assists, 163 assists in a season.

Gretzky would have never touched the goal scoring records had Joe Malone played ~80 game seasons.

44 goals in 20 games, 22 game season? Now that's an untouchable mark. 2.2 GPG over a full season. Also 2.2 PPG because assists were not calculated, which ALSO beats any of Gretzky's marks. If you assume that he had equal assists to goals, which is common for top-end offensive players, that's 88 points in 20 games over a full 22 game season, total 164-164-328 in 75 of 82 games. Absolutely sick. Gretzky would never have been viewed the same.

I thought that said Tiger Woods and then saw the number 3966 and then thought, "No way I'm sure Wilt Chamberlain has that number beat."

Warren Beatty has 'em all beat....combined. Hell, add Tiger, Stilt, Heff, and everyone else up and Beatty's probably hit all of those girls too.

Lemieux was on pace to break Gretzky's 92 and 215 by a wide margin in 1992-93 but had a bout with cancer that caused him to only play 60 games, so he scored 69 goals and 91 assists - pace for 97-127-224 - plus he probably would have scored at a higher rate without the cancer and the missed games. 110 goals and 260 points? 120 goals and 280 points? Who knows...he was just ridiculous that season.

Regardless, the most unbreakable records are probably the consecutive games streaks. When you first consider that a player has to play twelve or more consecutive seasons, which means he has to be good enough to not only earn a regular spot but a spot regular enough to not be in danger of being rotated out of the lineup, this means he'll be playing 15-25 minutes per game, plus playoff games. That's a crazy amount of games and minuts per game without missing a game. And then you look at the goaltender consecutive games streak? That's more than six complete seasons, plus playoffs. Fewer than 60 goaltenders in the history of the league have even played that many games in their career, let alone in a row. Gretzky's career records will fall before that one does.

I laugh when sometimes Gretzky's assist total in a season would be more then the person that was second in points. That is some funny s*** right there.

No kidding. There were 4 seasons where his assist total alone would have won him the scoring title.

This aren't actual recognized records, but Gretzky feats I'm sure will not be reached again:

- 5 years in a row winning the scoring title while leading the 2nd place guy by 70+ points

- Winning the scoring title by scoring 79 more points than anyone else

Just throwing it out there, Gretzky did play in a high scoring era, but he dominated the competition like no other.

The following Red Wings record will never be broken...

NUMBER OF TIMES PER GAME RED WINGS FANS YELL SWEAR WORDS AT A RED WINGS PLAYER...118 CURRENTLY HELD BY JASON WILLIAMS. Actually Williams holds the top 5 records in this category with 110, 103, 100 and 96.

I can see Leaf fans surpassing that with Lebda before too long.

No kidding. There were 4 seasons where his assist total alone would have won him the scoring title.

This aren't actual recognized records, but Gretzky feats I'm sure will not be reached again:

- 5 years in a row winning the scoring title while leading the 2nd place guy by 70+ points

- Winning the scoring title by scoring 79 more points than anyone else

Just throwing it out there, Gretzky did play in a high scoring era, but he dominated the competition like no other.

Lemieux?

Lemieux?

Maybe the closest, but when it comes right down to it, no one dominated the way Gretzky did. You can try to twist and turn everything anyway you want by talking about illness and injuries and what ifs and on pace, etc., but at the end of the day, what you are left for is what actually happened.

Lemieux probably the had the potential and skill to challenge some of Gretzky's totals, but he never really did in the end.

Lemieux won the scoring title 6 times and the total margin he won by for the 6 years combined was 95pts. That compares to Gretzky's maring of 70+ pts, 5 years in a row and 79pts in a single year.

I undestand some of those years Lemieux may have still won the scoring race even missing a ton of games, but like I said, all I can go by at the end of the day is what actually happened.

Gretzky probably would have had a lot higher career stats too if he didn't seriously injur his back in the middle of his career.

Lemieux was on pace to break Gretzky's 92 and 215 by a wide margin in 1992-93 but had a bout with cancer that caused him to only play 60 games, so he scored 69 goals and 91 assists - pace for 97-127-224 - plus he probably would have scored at a higher rate without the cancer and the missed games. 110 goals and 260 points? 120 goals and 280 points? Who knows...he was just ridiculous that season.

Regardless, the most unbreakable records are probably the consecutive games streaks. When you first consider that a player has to play twelve or more consecutive seasons, which means he has to be good enough to not only earn a regular spot but a spot regular enough to not be in danger of being rotated out of the lineup, this means he'll be playing 15-25 minutes per game, plus playoff games. That's a crazy amount of games and minuts per game without missing a game. And then you look at the goaltender consecutive games streak? That's more than six complete seasons, plus playoffs. Fewer than 60 goaltenders in the history of the league have even played that many games in their career, let alone in a row. Gretzky's career records will fall before that one does.

One of Gretzky's seasons he was on pace for about 240 Pts through a similar amount of games. The grind definitely takes a toll. Lemieux was incredible but the 'difference' between Gretzky and Lemiuex would be one of the greatest players of all-time (5 harts, 2 cups, 5 scoring titles, etc...)

I honestly don't think Glenn Hall's record will ever come close to being broken. Goalies are not expected to be such iron men these days.

My housemate came up with one too...Bobby Orr's plus-minus record of a +136 for a season.

Edited by Kira