• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

Rate this topic

Am jealous. Why am I stuck with the only guy I know who couldn't care less about sports?? My bf thinks I am certifiable and need serious meds/counseling when it comes to hockey. I have Center Ice and will watch like 5 games a day and he just shakes his head. And ... get this ... he is originally FROM CANADA!! Oh well, hopefully he never makes me choose or hes SOL. :P

And he doesnt like hockey? must not have had a ton of friends growing up :lol:

p.s. I see your location is Midland...I was born there

My gf never watched a game of hockey in her life before we met. She's a born and raised SE Michigan native, and is traditionally really into the Pistons. However, I think she's lost interest since she's never wanted to watch a game since we met.

We met in the middle of the 2008 playoffs, and she watched every game with me. She was very open minded about it, asked about the game, and got pretty into it during the Stanley Cup Finals. She even bought us tickets to go to a few games during the following season. While she doesn't want to watch every game like I do, she does like to watch the important games with me, and is always willing to go to the JLA for games. All in all, she's a good sport!

I don't have a boyfriend, and the last one didn't like hockey (like 99.9% of the population around here). Yep, thinking about moving to Michigan. ;)

You know what's even worse, though? I can't fault a guy for not liking hockey in Southern California, but I went to a dance in high school with this guy whose dad had an awesome late-'60s Corvette, and when I asked him about it, he said, "I'm not much of a car guy." Really? Come ON! What's the point of being a guy if you don't like cars? Your DAD knows better - what happened to you? Yeah, that didn't really work out too well... Yet another reason to move to MI - you guys get the car thing.

But back to hockey...I got a couple of my female friends to watch some of the playoffs with me, though. I think one was at least sort of into it, so I'm glad I wasn't boring them to death. Of course, she just moved back here from SF, so her adopt-a-team is the Sharks, which caused a few problems during the second round, but she was nice about it because she knew I was suicidally depressed afterward, hehe. Maybe I can get her to go to a game with me for my birthday in December...

Edited by MulesWillFly93

One of my ex's used to call peroids innings.

My fiance is finally warming up to hockey. She know's all the current Wings names/numbers and has a pretty good understanding of the basic rules, but only really gets excited during the playoffs.

Our wedding is this October and I bought her an Abdelkader jersey as a welcome to the family gift - plus I asked the reverand to sneek "during the NHL regular season and in playoffs". - TRUE

EDIT: She also named our dog Raffi

Edited by Ozzie30

Instead of my girlfriend putting her actual name into my list of contacts when I got my new phone, she put her name as "Zetterberg's Girl" That probably tells you all you need to know.

Mine says our kid is really Zetterbergs .. well have to wait and see how he back checks to see if hes really mine .. You might see us on Maury with Z and Emma ..

I've never had a girlfriend that's been into hockey. A girl I dated last year would watch all of the televised playoff Wings games even after she moved home for the summer. I think she realized it was all I wanted to talk about. I'm starting grad school at OSU in Sept so hopefully I can find a hockey fan there.

cant have a girl that isnt willing to be in love with them. may current gf used to be a blues fan but i was like *****! this isnt gunna work. anyway she watched all 82 games with me last year. now i got her into the tigers and lions and she is in love with detroit sports.... i think im gunna merry her :D

Edited by wings1110

My mother was in the kitchen getting food for a houseful of relatives the night of my dad's funeral, and she still dropped everything to run into the living room when I told her that Hossa was fighting. She had to explain to all of the knitting ladies in the living room that she doesn't like it when they fight, and she was just making sure Hossa was ok - and then went on to tell them all about him.

I'm trying to get her to understand the importance of fighting, but as you can see, she loves the Wings. She also thinks Mickey Redmond "looks like a very nice man". Uh-huh.

My last hamster was a big Danny Cleary fan. I haven't gotten the current one excited about hockey yet.

My gf knew there was a sport called hockey when we met, I've tried to get her into it but she's not really a sports kind of girl. She will occasionally watch games with me but usually falls asleep when she does. The only piece of red wings memorabilia she has is a hudler jersey since he's her favorite player. Datsyuk is a close second cuz he has a "funny shaped head"

My wife likes some sports (baseball, some football, racing, etc.), but doesn't understand hockey, particularly on TV (which I can understand). But her annoyance by my love for the Wings is to the point where she will openly root for the other team by the 2nd or 3rd round, because she knows that if the Wings are eliminated, I will pay less attention to the games.

From an idealist's standpoint, I'll never know what it will be like to have a wife/girlfriend that loves the Wings, knows all the players, and watches the games with me. On the other hand, I've been a fan for so long now (dating back to the early 90's and pre-Cup years), that the selfish part of me likes the fact that the Wings are "my thing" that I do on my own. This is particularly true given that I'm an out-of-market fan now, so it's not like I'm surrounded by a bunch of other Wings fans anyway.

So, I am one of the girlfriends that didn't like hockey at first, but look at me now. Instead of my boyfriend posting on LGW...it's me. It started off when the Wings were playing the Flames in the playoffs in 2004. I didn't like hockey at all and I made him watch it in another room. He kept pressing me to at least watch a game and it didn't even have to be a Wings game. In fact, he said that I have to pick my own team and he wasn't going to "make" me be a Wings fan. I finally gave in and starting watching games. I became a Wings fan in the beginning because of Chelios. Now, I am a fully obsessed Wings fan...probably more so sometimes than my boyfriend. We get Center Ice and we watch every single game in our "spots" that give the Wings luck. I even got a little Parrotlet bird and name him Ozzie. I have asked my boyfriend what would have happened if I picked a different team and his response was "I knew you would pick the Wings because they are the Red Wings and how could you not love em."

My wife never gave a rat's ass about hockey (I would be weeping openly watching a gold metal hockey victory & she wouldn't give a second look). However,that all changed in 2008 when a local kid whose parents we know well was called up to the Wings. She immediatley became interested & as the kid won a regular shift & the Wings went to win the Cup, she never missed a moment. It got so good that she approved me buying the NHL center ice package so we could watch every game last season. She wants to buy NHL CI again this year & was just commenting how she can hardly wait for the season to begin.She says she misses Ken Daniels & Micky Redmond & even Doc Emry. The kid is Darren Helm & I can never thank him enough!!

Okay, that's a pretty awesome story. In fact, the more of these I read in this thread, the more I do wish my wife cared about something that's as important as the Wings are to me. She did buy a Wings zip-up sweatshirt while we were in the "D" last year, which made me proud, but she could care less about the actual team. I think with her, the Wings just represent all things "Detroit", and she's one of those bitter ex-Detroiters who is now a transplant somewhere else, but still hates on Michigan (which doesn't really make sense to me).

Being a Wings fan in Minnesota is a mixed bag...it's good because there is a lot of hockey here and the Wild fans aren't exactly hostile to Wings fans (and have a very facility to view NHL games in). The flipside of that is that it's actually a pretty marginal city for pro hockey. The Minnesotans understand the game, and love the Gophers and the High School tournament, and will drive their kids to 5am practices. But interest in the Wild, and especially the NHL as a whole, seems to take a backseat to the other sports options here, which was a disappointment to me.

My wife and her family are from Chicago, and her dad is a hardcore Hawks fan, from back in the early 60's. So, while she is kind of a Hawks fan... even she hates how Hawks fans are acting. She liked the Hawks TEAM... but not their fans. And living with her, I began to like the Hawks TEAM as well. Besides, Quenville has always been my favourite non-Wings coach. Seeing as he's from Windsor, like me.

She's more of a White Sox fan anyways, but we've made an agreement that I'll watch White Sox games with her(and I loathe baseball... it's so slow) and she'll watch Wings games with me.

Even she thinks Zetterberg is hot though...

ready for this.....

my wife was born and raised in Pittsburghscared.gif

she is knowledgable about the pens and wings, as i keep her updated. if she was not with me, she would not care what was going on with either team. but, she likes to go to games, and will watch games with me. with both pearl jam and hockey i would say "she doesn't love it, but likes it enough to enjoy it with me."

As a huge Pearl Jam fan, it is cool to meet someone who shares two of my biggest interests! Welcome to the boards! If you ever see the username "PjWingsFan" on the Ten club forums, that is me haha

I have been a "lurker" ever since finding about this site back in March (or April) when one of the ladies in line for Training Camp tickets told me about it. Hubby suggested that I reply to this topic because I am addicted to the Wings...Like several others, I grew up in the LA being a Kings fan (I did my homework during intermissions) and getting to meet Marcel Dionne, Dave Lewis, and even "Mr. Hockey". I was at Luc Robitaille's first game, and saw him score his first goal. In 1997 I married a Michiganiac and while visiting MI for the first time, saw the Stanley Cup banners in Traverse City. I was in heaven! I went back to CA, packed up my things, shipped my best horse out to MI and never left.

During the 2006 playoff run, hubby was in a car accident and had to go to emergency. Wearing my Robitaille jersey (from the Wings of course), I insisted that he get a room w/ a tv so that I could watch the game. Hubby was taken away for x-rays and an MRI - I stayed to watch the game in his emergency room on the tv...Hubby joked to the doctor that the Wings were more important than he was - he understands me! I have also gone to Training Camp for 1 day and then drove overnight to show my horse at a National Horse show...

Like somebody else said, I can quote stats from the 80's and 90's and usually know the answer to the trivia questions. I am very lucky to have a Hubby who understands that nothing comes between me and my Wings...He is a big fan as well, but I have been a hockey fan even longer.

For those of you in the Grand Rapids area - Mickey Redmond will be at the Whitecaps Game on Sunday, August 29th. He will be signing autographs...Yes, I will be in line VERY early that morning!

If I ever had a boyfriend, he'd probably dump me because the majority of my time would be spent on LGW, Puck Daddy, NHL.com, watching a Wings game, or watching RW Weekly. I would get too emotionally involved with the games(example: my story about The Game That Shall Not Be Named) I would endlessly rave about how epic a play was or rage about the refs or a poor Wings performance. I would spend my money on a newspaper after every win during the playoffs, just so I could read the sports section and tape the pictures to my wall. Even certain songs would remind me of hockey and I would end up making up my own lyrics to them. My facebook statuses would be game recaps/analysis, and everyone would probably get annoyed by it all. Maybe I'm not supposed to know more about hockey than some guys my age... :huh: Also, he probably wouldn't like that Marian Hossa is my computer background. ^_^

Edited by wingnut40

My fiancee and all her friends -- most of whom have now become my friends and who we hang out with all the time -- are ALL Penguins fans. There's on Flyers fan in the bunch. There are zero Red Wings fans. I went into solitary confinement in 2008 and 2009.