• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

Rate this topic

Seeing as I'm a chick and therefore have neither a wife nor a girlfriend, I can speak only for myself and I'd say I'm a pretty big fan. I watch/listen to as many games as I can, I post regularly here during the season/post-season and try to keep up with NHL news as much as possible.

^ Pretty much this.

No boyfriend to speak of; not many hockey fans in the south. I know a few guys who will watch hockey, but they have nowhere near the level of obsession that I have. They're more casual fans than anything. It would be nice to have someone who understands my love for the game, and as a plus, understands my support for the Wings.

So, I am one of the girlfriends that didn't like hockey at first, but look at me now. Instead of my boyfriend posting on LGW...it's me. It started off when the Wings were playing the Flames in the playoffs in 2004. I didn't like hockey at all and I made him watch it in another room. He kept pressing me to at least watch a game and it didn't even have to be a Wings game. In fact, he said that I have to pick my own team and he wasn't going to "make" me be a Wings fan. I finally gave in and starting watching games. I became a Wings fan in the beginning because of Chelios. Now, I am a fully obsessed Wings fan...probably more so sometimes than my boyfriend. We get Center Ice and we watch every single game in our "spots" that give the Wings luck. I even got a little Parrotlet bird and name him Ozzie. I have asked my boyfriend what would have happened if I picked a different team and his response was "I knew you would pick the Wings because they are the Red Wings and how could you not love em."

My GF has a dog named ozzie and I have a hunting dog named stanley "sir stanley "

Oh. My. God. That is like my dream wedding - love it! And holy crap - screw Hawaii, now THAT is a honeymoon! Aww, obviously I was glad when the Wings won, but now it makes me feel even warmer and fuzzier knowing that you guys got the storybook ending to the game and everything, aww!

I hope my friends are prepared for something similar to this because I have a feeling the bridesmaids' dresses aren't going to be what you'd call standard. I'm guessing there will be much red and white involved...

I went ahead and tweaked the thread title to include S.O.

In my case, my soon-to-be girlfriend is a mild Stars fan (go figure, living in Dallas, eh?). But she said she'd definitely go to the Wings games down here. She also said she might be converted to the cause since Modano signed with Detroit!

I have a bf now who loves hockey and the Wings as much as I do.

But before I met him I definitely used being a female Wings fan to my advantage. That was always my go-to flirting method at parties and bars. Most guys would make the exact same shocked and excited face whenever I put in my opinion of the last game or who I want to play in the playoffs, or what I think the lines should be, etc. I even got a marriage proposal from one guy I just met after I told him about my Zetterberg obsession. So I just wanted to tell all the girls out there and see if they experience the same thing.

I'll reply with a picture story that says it all.

Wedding:IMAG0055.jpg

I'm what I like to call passionate. She is borderline obsessive.

That is so awesome.

My wife is a little more than a casual fan. She was a big fan of Shanny's, now it's a toss up between Z and Homer. She loves going to games, tho we only have been able to go to a few, she'll watch playoff games with me. During the regular season tho, she will hang on the computer and come watch the replays when we score or when she hears me yelling at the refs lol. She too, hate Sindey Crosby!

Guest Shoreline

Even though she's from Toronto, she isn't much a hockey fan, though hockey is the only sport she can bear to watch any of. I'm careful though because I bet she's secretly a Leafs fan.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disheartened by the number of guys saying their girlfriends/wives/significant others are only interested in hockey/the Wings because of "cute guys".

I can't count the number of times I've gone to hockey games or even baseball games over the summer and had guys ask me if I was only there because of cute guys/rich athletes and not because I have a genuine love and interest in the sport.

Before I met my wife, she had never watched hockey a minute in her life. Now, almost 10 years later she loves the Wings and watches hockey all the time. I've really gotten her into the sport and now she actually puts it on when we go to sleep because it soothes her.

The guy where I ordered all the Jerseys from about crapped his pants when I told him how many I needed and what they were for. We also had each table named after a player. The save the dates looked like a ticket to a game (wish I could find an old one to take a picture of.) I was told a lot of our guests threw it out not knowing what it was. This was the most awesome day of my life. Thought about having the wedding at the Olympia Club inside JLA but it was too expensive. Would have been awesome though and really topped the whole thing off.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disheartened by the number of guys saying their girlfriends/wives/significant others are only interested in hockey/the Wings because of "cute guys".

I can't count the number of times I've gone to hockey games or even baseball games over the summer and had guys ask me if I was only there because of cute guys/rich athletes and not because I have a genuine love and interest in the sport.

There are those kind. Of course, they're usually the smokin' hot babes. The next time someone razzes you, smile and tell them that you appreciate that they think you're hot enough to go for the players, but that you're only interested in their stats.

The fact that we can appreciate their looks and their play at the same time is our little secret, and probably beyond the scope of understanding of those kind of guys. LGW men know better. Or should.

Or you can go to a hockey or baseball game and tell these clowns, "Oh, yes! I love football. The players look so cute with their sticks/bats (depending on which game you're at), but I'm waiting to hit on them until I get my boobs done."

I think there are still a large number of guys who can't fathom the idea of women genuinely enjoying the sport of hockey. If they are at the games, it's because their boyfriend/husband is interested in the game. Or they are there because they think the guys on the team are really cute. And thus female fans have the reputation of just being interested in the game for any other reason besides actual love for the sport. Most of the guys I've talked to are blown away when I tell them that I really enjoy hockey, and a few have asked me to teach them more about the game. As more people become aware that there are serious male and female fans alike, I think things will get better, but as of now, we still get the same song and dance.

Really can't wait til October to spread the sheer love of mine that is Red Wings hockey to my beautiful fiance, also a love I swear wink.gif (note: she is still around after 2 consecutive beard growings, makes me look homeless as s***) Cannot believe there is a girl out there that would have their whole wedding party in Wings gear. I am trying mask mine with getting red ties and red dresses but its not flying so far. Wish me luck....

My husband had never been to a hockey game, or even seen one, until we got together. Shortly before our wedding 5 years ago, I took him to a pre-season game here in KC between the Blues and the Predators and he's been hooked on the game ever since.

I'm pretty sure his Wings fandom is to save his own skin, since I know he also likes the Predators... but he'd never root against Detroit with me in the house ;)

He's not a huge, superstitious, borderline delusional fan (that's reserved for me :D) but he really appreciates the game now. He doesn't agree with some of the chincy calls we see (I let him watch Game 4 between the Wings and Caps when we won the Cup in '98 and it blew his mind what both sides got away with then that we don't now!) but he lets me be a little neurotic when playoffs start, and since we don't live near an NHL arena.. I get Center Ice and NHL Network special ordered in via our cable provider - plus season tickets to the CHL team in town.

My relationship is backwards.

I watch more sports than my boyfriend does. :P

He likes hockey and the Wings but doesn't get "into it" as much as I do. But he doesn't mind that I watch and will watch games with me most of the time.

I think there are still a large number of guys who can't fathom the idea of women genuinely enjoying the sport of hockey. If they are at the games, it's because their boyfriend/husband is interested in the game. Or they are there because they think the guys on the team are really cute. And thus female fans have the reputation of just being interested in the game for any other reason besides actual love for the sport. Most of the guys I've talked to are blown away when I tell them that I really enjoy hockey, and a few have asked me to teach them more about the game. As more people become aware that there are serious male and female fans alike, I think things will get better, but as of now, we still get the same song and dance.

I think it's great when I go to games and see girls without boyfriends/husbands. My friends and I always say to each other that we wish we could find girls who would wear hockey shirts or jerseys in public because they love the sport.