• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How big of a Wings fan is your Wife/Girlfriend/Significant Other?

Rate this topic

I think it's great when I go to games and see girls without boyfriends/husbands. My friends and I always say to each other that we wish we could find girls who would wear hockey shirts or jerseys in public because they love the sport.

I really need to move further north...

It seems that the LGW community appreciates the female fanbase. It's great to see. :D

I think there are still a large number of guys who can't fathom the idea of women genuinely enjoying the sport of hockey. If they are at the games, it's because their boyfriend/husband is interested in the game. Or they are there because they think the guys on the team are really cute. And thus female fans have the reputation of just being interested in the game for any other reason besides actual love for the sport. Most of the guys I've talked to are blown away when I tell them that I really enjoy hockey, and a few have asked me to teach them more about the game. As more people become aware that there are serious male and female fans alike, I think things will get better, but as of now, we still get the same song and dance.

Unfortunately, many women and girls are just that...puckbunnies. They bring the wrath of the stereotype on all women. That's what makes real women and girls that love, understand, and are true fans of the game something special. Heroes. Goddesses. God's gift, etc.

Not all puckbunnies are female. Plenty of males at games that have absolutely no clue as to what's going on on the ice. Maybe they're there for the cute guys too.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Unfortunately, many women and girls are just that...puckbunnies. They bring the wrath of the stereotype on all women. That's what makes real women and girls that love, understand, and are true fans of the game something special. Heroes. Goddesses. God's gift, etc.

Not all puckbunnies are female. Plenty of males at games that have absolutely no clue as to what's going on on the ice. Maybe they're there for the cute guys too.

And they're the point of my frustration. The nickname puckbunny grates my nerves. It is a stereotype of female fans who watch hockey, and like many stereotypes, it's hard to shake because of the actions of these women. I can understand initially liking the game because they believe that the players are cute, but there seems to be too many who like the game for just that reason; and not for a reason like...enjoying the speed of the game and skill of the players. And then some (not all) are not receptive to learning more about the game.

True..I suppose we have that advantage. :P

And I never thought about it that way...guess I'm guilty of thinking that guys at the game are there for the sport. Thanks.

Female fan, die hard. My friends and I even have a tradition that all playoff games MUST be watched by certain people in my basement. One of those moved to Florida this year (feel free to blame him for the loss, we do). Almost all of my guy friends, funny enough, hate sports and make fun of my for my hockey obsession. I was at a bar during the playoffs (after we were eliminated) and there was a fight on tv and the bartender said something about fighting being banned in the playoffs. I corrected him citing that it's only banned for instigation during the last 5 minutes of a game and everyone around me was like 'holy s***' hahaha

I mean it's common knowledge to all of us, but to non-sports fans...I thought it was funny anyway.

Also when I was living at home my mom got pissed and yelled 'When did your room turn into JLA?! Stop screaming at the TV they can't hear you!!'

i think i love you

And they're the point of my frustration. The nickname puckbunny grates my nerves. It is a stereotype of female fans who watch hockey, and like many stereotypes, it's hard to shake because of the actions of these women. I can understand initially liking the game because they believe that the players are cute, but there seems to be too many who like the game for just that reason; and not for a reason like...enjoying the speed of the game and skill of the players. And then some (not all) are not receptive to learning more about the game.

True..I suppose we have that advantage. :P

And I never thought about it that way...guess I'm guilty of thinking that guys at the game are there for the sport. Thanks.

Like my sister says, "You don't have to turn off your ovaries to watch hockey."

I liked hockey long before I liked boys. The cute boys are icing (as in frosting) on the cake.

My wife told me, when we first started dating, that she truly likes hockey and enjoys going to games, but that she could never become a real fan because she gets too into it and would have a heart attack. I chuckled and chalked this up to her making an excuse not to have to watch every single game with me, and was thankful I had met someone who could enjoy live games with me when the Wings come to town (I live in CA).

Well, we finally got to a game together last playoffs (game 2 vs. SJ). As you recall, this was one of the worst officiated games in the history of sports. By the end of the game, much to my surprise, my wife, who understands the basics of the game fairly well, was standing and screaming at the refs after yet another penalty was called. This was pretty awesome, but a one off experience, I figured, as it was SO horribly called. Even Sharks fans around us were pissed about it.

Then came the 2010 Olympics. My wife is Russian, so her team was Russia, and she claimed that she didn't much care beyond that who won. If it wasn't Russia, it didn't matter. She obviously knew that I was going to watch every game involving Canada, Russia and the US, and decided this was a good time to watch with me. She quite literally cried when Russia was trounced, and, much to my surprise, became a HUGE USA supporter after watching their first game against Canada.

During the gold medal game, she was covering her eyes, screaming, clapping and getting up and pacing frantically at each stoppage of play.

It was then that I realized she hadn't been patronizing me at all with her first comments about never being able to become a real fan. She *would* have a heart attack from the stress of it. I count myself now doubly blessed, as I have a wife who will go to and watch important games with me AND honestly gets why I throw things at the TV sometimes. If that means she doesn't watch all the time with me, I think that's a fair tradeoff. She's more passionate about my favorite sport than I am, if only in small doses.

My wife stood in line at Center Ice in Traverse City for several hours in freezing weather (with rain in the forecast) to get tickets to the Red and White game at Wings training camp for us and a couple of friends. That must stand for something!!!! And she paid for 'em!!!

My wife stood in line at Center Ice in Traverse City for several hours in freezing weather (with rain in the forecast) to get tickets to the Red and White game at Wings training camp for us and a couple of friends. That must stand for something!!!! And she paid for 'em!!!

There were quite a few of us doing that...My husband had a great time meeting and talking to the other husbands whose wives were fanatics like me! There were 2 ladies in line behind us who go to Training Camp with their families, but the husbands stay and babysit the kids so that the wives can enjoy the hockey. Yes, it was freezing cold in line, but it was worth it and I would do it again! Only 4 more weeks to go....

Like my sister says, "You don't have to turn off your ovaries to watch hockey."

I liked hockey long before I liked boys. The cute boys are icing (as in frosting) on the cake.

Great quote!

Aha, same here. Became interested in the local team at first before eventually gaining interest in the NHL and the Wings.

The odds of any girlfriend of mine liking hockey has dwindled to an extremely low number ever since I moved to Seattle.

Then again, I moved about six years ago, so the likelihood of a girl liking the Hawks (or god forbid the Wings) back then is probably lower than a woman liking hockey out here.

I've had a few comments on Wings jerseys, shirts, and hats that I wear, but usually it's Canuck fans flirting with me in a mean way. <_<