• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 zombi

zombi

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:59 PM

DETROIT -- Detroit Red Wings general manager Ken Holland hopes to begin contract talks in earnest soon with coach Mike Babcock.

The sides have had preliminary discussions.

"Mike likes it here, I like him here, but we haven't had much of a chance to sit down,'' Holland said. "Over the course of the next couple of weeks we'll probably have an opportunity to sit down and talk more.''

Babcock is entering the final year of his contract, but there is no urgency to get a deal done. Babcock's last contract wasn't completed until after the 2007-08 season.

"We've talked, we haven't gotten anything done yet,'' Babcock said Tuesday. "I'm not real concerned. It's my understanding (Holland) wants me to be here and I want to be here.''

http://www.mlive.com...abcock_t_4.html

I think it's safe to say that we'll be seeing Babs around for quite some time. My guess is that he'll retire from professional coaching as a part of this organization.

Posted Image

Edited by zombi, 14 September 2010 - 11:00 PM.

Posted Image

#2 HockeytownRules19

HockeytownRules19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

Hallelujah! Lock him up baby! The best coach in the game by far!

#3 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

What a day it was when Kenny hired Babcock.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#4 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:05 PM

Babcock was groomed for the Wings role. He spoke to Kenny about the job when he was coaching the Jr's team we shared with Anaheim. Kenny told him to go be a head coach somewhere else first and they'd talk again after that...

The rest is history!

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#5 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Babcock was groomed for the Wings role. He spoke to Kenny about the job when he was coaching the Jr's team we shared with Anaheim. Kenny told him to go be a head coach somewhere else first and they'd talk again after that...

The rest is history!

Really?
*this space for rent*

#6 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:13 PM

What a day it was when Kenny hired Babcock.

Posted Image thats for sure! and to lock him up would be sick, get r done Kenny.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#7 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:28 PM

Really?

True story, I am not sure Kenny was certain Babcock would make it back to the Wings, it was more of a go prove yourself kind of thing, but he did coach a Jr team we shared with Anaheim and he has known Kenny for many years.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#8 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

Same thing with Stevie. Or at least I hope.

#9 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:27 AM

Lock it up Kenny! Babs is the man. To get him locked up early would be great so its not on Babs or Kenny mind this season
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#10 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:29 AM

I think it's safe to say that we'll be seeing Babs around for quite some time. My guess is that he'll retire from professional coaching as a part of this organization.

Posted Image

I doubt it. Eventually we're going to have a sucky roster, and Babcock's 9000% intensity will wear on the players. He will leave and go to a contending team and win some cups with them.

When is he eligable for the HOF btw?
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#11 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Pragmatic Optimist

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

30 Years / 150 Million

Get it done Kenny

My wish: A healthy roster

#12 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:55 AM

Best news this offseason.... including modano.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:12 AM

Gotta love Babs; gets the most outta his players year after year...IMO he should've won the Jack Adams award considering how depleted the Wings were.

Git'r dunn :thumbup:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#14 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:13 AM

Best news this offseason.... including modano.

Oh yes

#15 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Posted Image

Sometimes, a carefully worded suggestion of something physically impossible works as well.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#16 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:26 AM

Babs has been the best coach in the NHL since 2002. IMO his the best coach in the 2000 era.

Lock him up for life.

* Yes Stevie too will eventually become GM of this team there's no doubt about it, after our GM steps down which I hope it'll be a good long time.

#17 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:41 AM

Babs has been the best coach in the NHL since 2002. IMO his the best coach in the 2000 era.

Lock him up for life.

* Yes Stevie too will eventually become GM of this team there's no doubt about it, after our GM steps down which I hope it'll be a good long time.

I think people are fooling themselves by thinking Yzerman will return. Remember, Yzerman would have to be done with Tampa Bay at the exact same time that Holland retires. Odds are very slim. Holland isn't going to retire a year or two earlier than he wants just so Yzerman can get the job, and Yzerman isn't going to not give 100% to Tampa Bay because he's waiting for Holland's job to open up.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#18 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

Excellent news. I approve.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#19 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

I do wonder if Babcock ever blinked 1st and lost a staring contest
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#20 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:36 AM

He'll sign through 2015 and then leave.

OK, probably not, but in the article from the other thread he did say that he recommends quitting your job every 10 years and doing something else.

Edited by FireCaptain, 15 September 2010 - 09:38 AM.

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13