• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Lilja gets training camp invitation to Sharks

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

see ya, andreas. you won't be missed.

I've never understood comments like these. Mind boggling how ungrateful some people become after winning Stanley cups.

Edited by Heaten

Guest best poster in LGW history

I've never understood comments like these.

lilja is an easily-replaced player that rejected a very fair offer made by the wings. i'm sure if you try hard enough you can wrap your head around that.

see ya, andreas. you won't be missed.

I bet you cried the day that they took the negative option away from the ratings. Such posts as yours cry for that sort of attention, and now we find ourselves with little recourse other than to either ignore you or actually waste bandwidth in responding.

I'll throw the bone today because I'm bored. Lilja will be missed. I'm not saying Salei won't do a good job; I'm sure he will. But rest assured, Lilja will be missed by many.

Thanks for reminding us that you're still with us.

Edited by 55fan

I bet you cried the day that they took the negative option away from the ratings.

actually it's much more entertaining to have people respond to you instead of simply giving you a neg vote.

rest assured, Lilja will be missed by many

if by "many", you mean a few message board posters that have a habit of over-valuing their team's lesser players...then i guess you're right.

Guest Heaten

lilja is an easily-replaced player that rejected a very fair offer made by the wings. i'm sure if you try hard enough you can wrap your head around that.

So you don't strive to move up and try to get bigger responsibilities or pay raises at your place of employment? Yeah, you are right... I can't wrap my head around why people hate those who are ambitious and strive to better their lives.

Haters gonna hate. :clap:

actually it's much more entertaining to have people respond to you instead of simply giving you a neg vote.

if by "many", you mean a few message board posters that have a habit of over-valuing their team's lesser players...then i guess you're right.

O.K. I have to ask this.

Are you Patrick Sharp by any chance?

So you don't strive to move up and try to get bigger responsibilities or pay raises at your place of employment? Yeah, you are right... I can't wrap my head around why people hate those who are ambitious and strive to better their lives.

Haters gonna hate. :clap:

when did i say i hated him? i don't have anything against him for turning the offer down (although it was obviously a very stupid business decision), i said he wouldn't be missed.

...and he won't.

Yeah. That's why I threw you a bone. I know you're probably getting one since someone responded to you.

By "many" I mean those who appreciate a guy who blocks shots, fights when no one else is willing (even if it's not his forte), and those who are aware that he won last year's "sexiest Wing" contest.

I didn't say that all of the reasons that he'd be missed were valid, just that many people would miss him.

Edited by 55fan

Logic should also measure puck possession. Why would a player blocks shots when their team has possession of the puck? After Olympics Detroit was the best team in the league. They weren't the best team in the league because they didn't have the puck and needed to block shots for 55 minutes per night. :lol:

You already pointed out how bad Colorado's D-corp were... seems you would have used more logic to come to a more realistic conclusion with all the facts. If Salei decides to block shots while Detroit has possession of the puck, then I propose he should be waived for Kindl to play.

You do realize that Detroit averaged within a few decimal places the same shots per game as Toronto last season, Toronto must be a good puck possession team too then.

People are talking about how Lilja is going to be missed so much but we actually improved at his position if Salei stays healthy. You dont need to overrate Lilja either. He was an average number 6 defenseman

Guest Heaten

You do realize that Detroit averaged within a few decimal places the same shots per game as Toronto last season, Toronto must be a good puck possession team too then.

People are talking about how Lilja is going to be missed so much but we actually improved at his position if Salei stays healthy. You dont need to overrate Lilja either. He was an average number 6 defenseman

Wha? :blink: And how does this matter after Lilja returned and Detroit was healthy (and the best team after Olympics?). As far as I'm concerned, Wings had two seasons last year. 1st season was struggling through injuries while Howard carried the team on his back, and the 2nd season was after the team got healthy and dominated their way to the playoffs.

Which 'season' are you referring to? Season 1 when Lilja and the rest of the team was out injured or the 2nd season when the team got healthy and dominated?

O.K. I have to ask this.

Are you Patrick Sharp by any chance?

:siren: I had to log in just so i could +1 this post.

Edit: Oh, and thanks for all the feed back on naming our little girl Lilja. I'm liking it more and more. Lils Lowell.

Someone suggested Andrea with an accent. I already have a favorite niece named Andrea. She's a great skater and a great volleyball player, so i call her Dreya The Playeh. :D

Edited by T.Low

Seriously, it has got to stop on both ends.

You are not the best poster in LGW history. In fact, you are far from it.

Second, I will miss Lilja. I definitely would've liked him to remain here as a 5th or 6th d-man. But the fact that he's a fan-favorite with many people is causing them to over-value his prescence with nit-picky stats like shot-blocking or shot blocks per game or whatever else, or miss him more than usual, or I don't know. It just annoys me almost as much as people like quoted who undervalue him.

K... So the Red Wings might not block as many shots.

I would've loved for Lilja to stay again, but post-concussion he lost a step some and it remains to be seen if he'll get back to pre-concussion playing form. But he was still a 5th or 6th d-man then. And Salei now is a 5th/6th d-man.

The Wings defense will deal/manage/survive.

Salei for Lilja at present time is basically an even swap of players until both players show us otherwise good/bad.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Guest Crymson

Lilja was making lots of progress before his concussion, and he wasn't really the same player after he returned. Some of us may have semi-fond memories of him, but my opinion is that he was--at best--an average defenseman. He fought occasionally, and he was good at blocking shots, but he also had a penchant for making boneheaded plays and being totally out of position.

While some here may miss him as an individual, I don't think his on-ice contributions will be missed in the gameplay sense.

I've been trying to find any news on him and haven't had any luck. Does anyone know what he's up to?

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/2010/09/23/mclellan-finds-a-few-players-to-praise-a-look-at-lineup-changes-plus-douglas-murray-included-among-top-20-smartest-athletes/

Here’s Andreas Lilja’s assessment of his first game as a Shark tryout.

“It’s always hard to judge your own performance when you lose 5-2, but I felt good,” he said. “I felt confident with the puck and confident in my own end.”

Did he get any feedback from the coaches?

“I don’t expect that. That would be weird,” the 35-year-old defenseman said. “They usually tell you when you play bad, so it might be a good thing.”

I just found something too, apparently he's still got a chance to prove himself.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=538699&navid=DL|SJS|home

On the blueline, there are six players back who were playoff regulars. Among them are Dan Boyle, Douglas Murray, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Jason Demers, Kent Huskins and Niclas Wallin. The question is, is there another Demers or Vlasic in the remaining group who will force the Sharks hand and take someone’s roster spot?

“The blueline is limited to the number of spots,” said McLellan. “You usually don’t carry more than seven, so it is a smaller pool. You get more of a chance to make it as a forward because there are 13 spots. If we feel one of our young defensemen can bump out a veteran d-man, we’ll find a way to make that happen.”

Those fighting for that right to be in the top six or stay as the seventh blueliner are Jay Leach, Derek Joslin, Andreas Lilja, Mike Moore, Nick Petrecki and Sean Sullivan. As with the forwards, each has unique talents they bring to the table. Leach has NHL experience and can fill the heavyweight role if things get out of control on the ice. Joslin is a well-rounded player who also spent time in San Jose last year, 24 games to be specific, earning valuable NHL experience. Moore provided a lot of leadership in Worcester during their late season charge in the division and toward the AHL’s postseason. Petrecki is a hulking first round pick from a few years ago who is finding his way professionally. The interesting one is Lilja as he is familiar with McLellan from the Detroit days, but has nothing but a tryout contract at this point.