• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest mindfly

Rule Changes Explained

Rate this topic

That is stupidest video i have ever seen, unless they have secret angles that they aren't showing people half of those hits didn't fall in that rule category.

^clearly a legal hit under the new rules and yet it was deemed illegal in that video

I think video explains is all the changes a little better.

All I want is uniformity.

No, but really. I agree. I hate make up calls too. Those type of things take away the enjoyment of the game. I don't want a team to win because of some stupid call be the Wings or not.

Guest mindfly

That is stupidest video i have ever seen, unless they have secret angles that they aren't showing people half of those hits didn't fall in that rule category.

^clearly a legal hit under the new rules and yet it was deemed illegal in that video

Nope blindside hit with most contact to head = illegal.

Nope blindside hit with most contact to head = illegal.

For instance the hit on Salmela, that one clearly is a mix of both head and body, it was just a huge hit, the Franzen one was borderline blindside, Lepisto really should have seen him coming from that angle. Backes makes absolutely no head contact whatsoever form the angles shown in that video.

Some of those examples they use as legal hits or illegal icing contact I disagree with. That Pronger hit seemed illegal and the first icing contact example they showed seemed fine to me. It looked like Marleau was gonna get there first and the LA guy had every right to take him out of the play. They last part sucks and takes out most of the good trash talking.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Also interesting that they can't make rude/threatening gestures. :rolleyes:

it's a gentlemen's league. "Here, you can have the puck it's icing sire." "I would like to take you out to dinner after the game, please accept this invitation" "I'm sorry mr. O' Halloran, but my butt was not in his face, I was merely showing him my new pads!"

Also interesting that they can't make rude/threatening gestures. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think kinda dumb. You should be able to taunt and intimidate your opponent. A little pantomime throat slashing never hurt anyone.

Pronger and the term "legal hit" do not go in the same sentence

EDIT: I realize he is much bigger than some players, but every hit he throws seems to have head contact

he probably never caught his brother in the head on a check

I still don't get it. The Pronger hit seemed more 'blindside' than half the supposedly illegal hits. Rafalski didn't even get hit in the head. Most of those icing calls weren't 'obvious'. And most of the altercation stuff is pretty harmless.

Anyone else think the NHL should have edited the last line a bit before releasing the video?

Here's the original line...

"On behalf of the National Hockey League and Hockey Operations Department, good luck to everyone in the 2010-2011 NHL season"

But with the model of consistency that is the NHL's on-and-off-ice officials, they might be better suited saying it like this...

"On behalf of the National Hockey League and Hockey Operations Department, good luck to everyone in the 2010-2011 NHL season. You're going to need it."

But what about the physics?!! :P

esteef

I still don't get it. The Pronger hit seemed more 'blindside' than half the supposedly illegal hits. Rafalski didn't even get hit in the head. Most of those icing calls weren't 'obvious'. And most of the altercation stuff is pretty harmless.

The video of the Pronger hit directly contradicted what the narrator was saying about legal hits during it. The opposing player was turning up ice and there is no way you can convince me that he had time to look ahead and see Pronger bearing down on him in time to protect himself.