• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
puckbags

Maltby and Meech waived

Rate this topic

i am watching nhl network and they reported that all players cleared. they said that was from bob mckenzie. might want to search for his twitter feed if you want concrete evidence.

Posted about an hour ago on his twitter feed...

TSNBobMcKenzie All players who were on waivers yesterday have cleared. Toronto puts Lashoff on waivers; Fla puts Paetsch on waivers. That is all. Quiet day

Here's luck for ya: I want those two to be claimed but will they? Doesn't look like it.

But nooo... Teams claim players that I don't want them to. Bastards.

The nerve of them to claim players you think are good and to let players you think are crap pass through waivers!!! You should write them a letter :P

On HF boards there's a rumor that the Wings offered him a scouting position if he were to retire. Yeah I know, it's HF, but hey, if true then I'm glad for Malts.

I think that's if he makes it through waivers. If a team were to claim Maltby he wouldn't retire so he could still play in the NHL, but who knows.

So Maltby gets waived, clears, and now he might retire? Didn't he know that being assigned to GR was the most likely scenario?? Either he REALLY didn't believe he'd be sent down, or the Wings' management led him to believe he'd make the big club. Otherwise, why would he have re-signed in the first place?

So Maltby gets waived, clears, and now he might retire? Didn't he know that being assigned to GR was the most likely scenario?? Either he REALLY didn't believe he'd be sent down, or the Wings' management led him to believe he'd make the big club. Otherwise, why would he have re-signed in the first place?

I don't blame him for at least thinking about retiring. I knew that was a scenario. I think he resigned thinking that he would get an opportunity to play for the big club. Grand Rapids wouldn't be bad, but he had his heart set on the feat of breaking into the NHL. Now that it didn't work, maybe he lost his desire to compete. Who knows. I say that if he decides to retire, he has earned that right to do so. Especially after years of loyalty and 4 cups.

I know I am in the minority here; but I actually like Malts. I think he brought a little grit and got under players skin. I don't think he was the direct cause of many mistakes or goals (Lebda ahem). Sure, he is getting up in age but I would rather see him retire by complete choice at his own accord when he feels the time is right, not when he is semi-forced into the decision because he didn't make the big club.

I think he has things he can teach the young guys in GR. I think his veteran presence and 4 stanley cups speak volumes to kids trying to play harder and harder.

Here is to you Malts, hoping you can stick it out for the year. Maybe be part of a Stanley Cup winning organization one last time. Then you can happily retire.

Edited by NvrFrgtRussian5

So Maltby gets waived, clears, and now he might retire? 1)Didn't he know that being assigned to GR was the most likely scenario?? Either he REALLY didn't believe he'd be sent down, or the Wings' management led him to believe he'd make the big club. 2)Otherwise, why would he have re-signed in the first place?

You really need to think of this from a fail-safe and business point of view. When injuries do happen, do you want NHL ready veterans that know the system to step in or do you want unproven rookies who are a year removed from juniors who don't really know what's going on to step in? The Wings re-signed him for back-up purposes and it was a great move on their part.

1) Yes, Maltby knew he was going to be waived at some point and the "rumor" going around was that Wing's management waived him with the intent that maybe he'd get claimed by another team, this way he would still play in the NHL instead of going down to the AHL. I'm guessing the talks at the negotiating table went something like this:

Matlby/Agent: "How much ice time can you give me/my client?"

Holland: "Little to none, you'll most likely start the season in GRap and be first in line for an injury call-up"

Maltby/Agent: "I/My client want(s) to stay with the Wings. With the family being here and playing 99% of NHL games here, the Wings are the team to play for"

Holland: "I can offer you slightly more than league minimum if you'd like to stay, but at some point we'll need to waive you to send you down, are you ok with that?"

Maltby/Agent: "Business is business"

Holland: "If we waive you, and you pass waivers and the AHL doesn't appeal to you, you can always have an office job here like Downs, Cheli, and all the other veterans we've signed over the years"

2) I'm guessing it had something to do with his family and not wanting to leave. Even on the two way deal, he still makes more than most of us while playing in the AHL. It's always good to have income. And he can still play and he still wants to play, he could crack the top twelve of a lot of other teams, but this way he re-signs with us and still has a contract and could still be claimed to play in the NHL for another team.

I was hoping he would come back and play for the Griffins this season. Looks like he may retire. While I am selfish in hoping he returns, I know he deserves to retire on his terms. Its just sad because the Griffins could use his veteran leadership.

http://detnews.com/article/20101007/SPORTS0103/10070448/1128/Red-Wings-veteran-Kirk-Maltby-leaning-toward-retirement