• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#61 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,947 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:14 PM

Home movies of Maltby scoring the last goal of his career, Feb 13, 2010 vs. Ottawa.

Yes, that's me holding the camera! :lol:

Edited by Barrie, 12 October 2010 - 04:22 PM.

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#62 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:02 PM

Why'd he resign if he was going to retire anyway? And then he cleared waivers. That just got my hopes up. I don't want him to retire. I specifically told him, "I really hope you resign...I hope to see you out there again" But did he listen to me? NO! I'm so upset right now. :( Well, I hope he made the right decision for himself. Best of luck to you Malts. I'll miss reading your lips as you drop F-bombs. Thanks for all the years. :clap:

That's a double negative.

Congrats Maltby on a great career as a Wing! In honor, my avatar will be of us in TC trashed lol.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#63 brandon27

brandon27

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:21 PM

Congrats to Maltby. Nice little career he put together for himself. best of luck to him in his new role as a scout!
Posted Image

#64 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:26 PM

Our mouthy little grinder even made the front page of the sports section of the USA Today, god love him. :thumbup:

http://www.usatoday....key/default.htm

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#65 HockeyCrazy3033

HockeyCrazy3033

Hall of Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 17,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:47 PM

Thank you, Kirk! It was a GREAT run!
"I'm a winner. That's all I do". - Chris Osgood -

#66 tdinc

tdinc

1st Line All-Star

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

4 Rings, A classy Guy all around. Original Grind line.

Good luck Malts :clap:

#67 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:12 PM

about damn time

You are not the best poster in LGW history. In fact, you are probably the opposite of best.

And before you say something like, "Well I'm sorry that I don't act like a Red Wings homer like everybody else in here." That's not the point.

Of course Maltby's playing days were coming to an end.

This isn't the time/place for that though. It's about celebrating Maltby's career and what he gave to this organization for such a long time.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 12 October 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#68 Johnny Law

Johnny Law

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

Dude night in night out for many years and many cups went out and put it all on the line. What he perhaps lacked in talent he made up with hard work and 100% commitment, that's not a slight if your in the NHL your one of the best 700 players of hockey in the world.

The DRW and all wings fans were lucky to have Maltby, his skills were not score sheet type skills and will be hard to replace.

#69 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:28 PM

Good to see he retired rather then playing with the Griffins, even tho he could helped out.

This guy was a very important key of the success of this franchise. He played a crucial role, shutting down the opposing top lines.

Shame on all those fans that are being negative about this situation. The reason he signed the contract was to compete for a roster spot, didn't work out but we can never blame the guy for trying.

Hope all the best in the near future Maltbs, maybe he could now join us on LGW and discuss hockey.

#70 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:42 PM

I never watched hockey during the grind lines prime but I still appreciate everything Maltby has done for this team in the past.
Congratulations on an amazing career!

Edited by crotty99, 12 October 2010 - 06:42 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#71 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

Its pretty amazing when you think about it. Detroit basically had the same 4th line players for about 15 years. The Wings still had about 1/4 of their 95 runner up team. Talk about longevity/team loyalty.

That's why we have one of the best, if not the best, organizations in the NHL.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#72 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

When I read some of the posts in this thread, I am just appalled. Here is a guy that gave his heart and soul to the organization. He was a penalty killer and a grind liner. You don't win four Stanley Cups by accident. Detroit knew what they had here and they treated him well for many years. In return, he gave everything he had to the organization.

Yet, some of the fans on this forum piss on him and other players. Even Lidstrom is a target by some people, which is disgusting being as that we are all fans of the Red Wings here. This isn't the HFboards where there are asshats a plenty out there that like to start flame wars with other teams and fans.

I expect people here will be supportive of their Red Wings and the management. After all, they deserve to have our support being as that they haven't missed the playoffs in 25 of the last 27 seasons and the last 19 in a row. The players have shown that they care about playing in Detroit by giving it their all season after season after season.

Here is Maltby, a player who has given it their all for years. 75% of the posts here have the right attitude, which is supportive and remembering what Maltby brought to the table. The rest of the posters here are true morons. If not for the fact that they don't remember what Maltby did for the organization, but because he is a Red Wing. He will take a job in the front office because the Red Wings care about their players and the players care about playing here. I don't see this kind of commitment from many organizations out there.

Support your Red Wings guys. They are your team. If you don't like the team, go bandwagon on the Sharks and Hawks. I heard they need more fans on the bandwagon these days.

Happy retirement Maltby! You will be missed.

i want to respond to this in hopefully a thoughtful and respectful way. let me first say, i am not as far out as many of the people that were sick of maltby. however, i was against the signing this summer. also, i definitely do not advocate any bashing of lidstrom because he is still very important to the team. if anything, i think any negative comments were over the summer wishing he had taken a bigger pay cut.

to me, the reason many people get upset when these guys keep hanging on is because it is not for the good of the team. had maltby stuck around this year it would have meant losing another player. while someone like drew miller might not be the key to stanley cup success, he has more long term and short term upside than maltby.

the problem is that the wings organization will be loyal. so if players aren't willing to accept their best days are behind them, then they linger on for longer than they need to. when this happens, many fans can turn against the player. chelios lingered, maltby lingered, and draper is getting pretty darned close.

i am appreciative of what kirk maltby has done to help the wings over the last 15 years. it doesn't mean i had to be happy over his contract this summer. to say anyone who disagreed with your opinion is a moron is just silly and juvenile.

with all that said, i wish maltby a happy retirement. there ended up being no negative impact to the signing, so no ill will on my part going forward. (not that maltby or anyone cares about my ill will!)

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#73 wingnut22

wingnut22

F#$%!

• Silver Booster
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

this saddens me :( But I wish him nothing but the best. Thanks for the great years Malts! :siren:

Posted Image
"They are younger. We are not called younger anymore. Except to Cheli. To him, everyone is younger." - Pavel Datsyuk

#74 redwingslady87

redwingslady87

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

about damn time

Normally I'm not one to say something about posters making statements like yours, but come on... Grow up and show some respect. Malts played his heart out for 14 years with us, and making the decision to retire was very obviously a difficult thing. Is that what you want people to say about you when you retire? That it's "about damn time"?

#75 best poster in LGW history

best poster in LGW history

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:41 PM

Is that what you want people to say about you when you retire? That it's "about damn time"?

i guess it would apply if i was hanging on to a job that i could no longer do competently when i should have retired a year or two ago and was getting paid more than younger employees that would no doubt do more for less.

i'm sure they'd say "about damn time".

hope that helps.

#76 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Posted Image

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#77 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,300 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:28 PM

It was definitely time. We're all getting older Malts. But what a career. And what a blue collar Red Wing through and through.

For a city like Detroit, the Wings should have a special category for players like Maltby. Not the most talented, but a hard working, loyal, lunchpail kind of player that was an important part of this franchise for 16 seasons.

It's just not gonna be the same without him out there irritating the crap out of guys, blocking shots, and taking punches in the face to draw a penalty.

#78 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:32 AM

Memories:

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#79 hokeychik22

hokeychik22

leapin' lou fontinato

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

isn't draper's contract up next year? probably will retire next year. drapes will always be a favorite to me.

good luck kirk whatever you choose to do now!

i'd personally love to see maltby and draper be with the wings organization some how

#80 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

i want to respond to this in hopefully a thoughtful and respectful way. let me first say, i am not as far out as many of the people that were sick of maltby. however, i was against the signing this summer. also, i definitely do not advocate any bashing of lidstrom because he is still very important to the team. if anything, i think any negative comments were over the summer wishing he had taken a bigger pay cut.

to me, the reason many people get upset when these guys keep hanging on is because it is not for the good of the team. had maltby stuck around this year it would have meant losing another player. while someone like drew miller might not be the key to stanley cup success, he has more long term and short term upside than maltby.

the problem is that the wings organization will be loyal. so if players aren't willing to accept their best days are behind them, then they linger on for longer than they need to. when this happens, many fans can turn against the player. chelios lingered, maltby lingered, and draper is getting pretty darned close.

i am appreciative of what kirk maltby has done to help the wings over the last 15 years. it doesn't mean i had to be happy over his contract this summer. to say anyone who disagreed with your opinion is a moron is just silly and juvenile.

with all that said, i wish maltby a happy retirement. there ended up being no negative impact to the signing, so no ill will on my part going forward. (not that maltby or anyone cares about my ill will!)

Sorry, but anyone coming into a retirement thread to bash the retiree is a moron. Regardless of your opinion of the player, now or in the past, this isn't the right place to express it. Maltby played a significant role in establishing the standard of excellence to which so many Wings fans now feel entitled. We should all repect the man enough to wish him well now, or at the least, not say anything bad about him in his retirement thread.