• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Crymson

Jiri Hudler Watch Thread

Rate this topic

A 5'4" and 100 lb blond could body him off the puck

It's true.

Small size can be made up for with speed or agility. He has average speed, above-average agility, but his will to use them seems nearly nil. If he would actually play like he wants to be there, he'd be a 50 point guy. I just don't see it this season.

Not saying I am for or against it, just wondering: Is it a good idea to bench Hudler?

The way Miller and Eaves have been hustling, someone else needs to join that rotation. Hudler would be one, plus maybe the old guys like Modano and Homer.

I've said it before... Hudler showed his true colours when he defected to the KHL and when he saw the grass was not greener came crawling back :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I hope that loyalty is returned when he starts to play well and is then traded to some s***ty that won't ever make the playoffs.

Hudler may be like Ville Leino, in the sense that he needs to go to a different team.

He's just not a good fit here. You think he would be being a small, skilled euro, but just like Leino, he needs to toughen up and play with different players that will complement his game better.

Hudler may be like Ville Leino, in the sense that he needs to go to a different team.

He's just not a good fit here. You think he would be being a small, skilled euro, but just like Leino, he needs to toughen up and play with different players that will complement his game better.

Even when hes playing on the 2nd line, he is just invisible out there. I was thinking maybe Filppula would help him re-discover his game, but I think he just needs a change of scenery.

I've said it before... Hudler showed his true colours when he defected to the KHL and when he saw the grass was not greener came crawling back :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I hope that loyalty is returned when he starts to play well and is then traded to some s***ty that won't ever make the playoffs.

Yay, this rehashed argument again.

Yay, this rehashed argument again.

This is easily the best organization in pro hockey and possibly in all of pro sports. Players in "decline" or "too old" or even "not living up to expectation" are brought to Detroit, treated like family, given an achievable role and flourish. From this a level of Player/Organizational loyalty has developed to the point that players want to stay here, take less money to stay here and do well by staying here... Yes, this re-hashed argument again! Hudler is the rare exception that has chosen to leave for "greener pastures" only to find he just left paradise... he does not have a place here anymore. He has not yet shown why we should keep him and bring him back into the family. The Leino example is perfect... Leino wouldn't be the same player here and flourished elsewhere, like Primeau-donna did. Hudler might also and he might bring us something we can utilize! I'd risk it!

I really agree with you on this comment! Last year Hudler would have been a very important player to us... this year he simply is not! On another team... like maybe Edmonton or definitely L.A., he would be an important player again and bring them something they need and possibly flourish again.... my guess is that where ever he may end up he will always regret leaving Detroit...I think he will get traded!

Hudler is by far the weakest link on the team. he sucks the energy right out of any line he plays on. At first I loved the fact that he was back, but he just doesn't fit in anymore. he gets knocked down all over the place and can't win the puck along the boards. he also often doesn't chase down the puck when he gives it up. I gotta say that nobody deserves to sit for him anymore. Our forth liners have been solid and hudler's one of our last guys with a large negative rating. I see things going best this way:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Cleary

Holmstrom-Filpulla-Franzen

Abdelkader-Modano-Bertuzzi

Miller-Helm-Eaves

Out: Hudler

Top 3 lines have playmaking, hustle, net presence, and a sniper. Hudler cannot do any of these right now. He has the potential to be a great sniper, but its hard to maintain puck possession when he isn't contributing by winning battles for the pucks and thus never gets to take a lot of shots. I've had enough of trying to get hudler going, its time to sit his ass. He isn't pitching in offensively and is definitely not contributing defensively. And when Draper gets back this gets more interesting.

I'd like defensive prospects for Hudler at this point. It would free up some cap for something later. If we make a move on a replacement for nic (doughty) at some point it would be nice to have some cap room if we have to overpay.

This is easily the best organization in pro hockey and possibly in all of pro sports. Players in "decline" or "too old" or even "not living up to expectation" are brought to Detroit, treated like family, given an achievable role and flourish. From this a level of Player/Organizational loyalty has developed to the point that players want to stay here, take less money to stay here and do well by staying here...

That has zilch to do with Hudler's loyalty.

Yes, this re-hashed argument again! Hudler is the rare exception that has chosen to leave for "greener pastures" only to find he just left paradise...

He was on contract with the Wings even when he signed the two year deal to the KHL. He was planning on coming back.

he does not have a place here anymore. He has not yet shown why we should keep him and bring him back into the family.

No on the former, yes on the latter.

The Leino example is perfect... Leino wouldn't be the same player here and flourished elsewhere, like Primeau-donna did. Hudler might also and he might bring us something we can utilize! I'd risk it!

Once again, has nothing to do with what you said about Hudler's "loyalty" earlier.

That has zilch to do with Hudler's loyalty.

He was on contract with the Wings even when he signed the two year deal to the KHL. He was planning on coming back.

How could you possibly know he was planning on coming back?

The fact that he signed a contract for the KHL when he was currently under contract in the NHL, after taking the Wings to arbitration no less, doesn't exactly speak well for Hudler's loyalty.

The KHL and NHL have no binding agreement regarding one another's contract, so he basically went to arbitration, then signed with the a competing hockey league.

If he ever wanted to return to the NHL, he was contractually obligated to the Wings. That doesn't mean he was planning on coming back.

The fact that he signed a contract for the KHL when he was currently under contract in the NHL, after taking the Wings to arbitration no less, doesn't exactly speak well for Hudler's loyalty.

Can't hurt that he came back immediately and didn't attempt to sign any other contract with another KHL team.

The KHL and NHL have no binding agreement regarding one another's contract, so he basically went to arbitration, then signed with the a competing hockey league.

I would hardly consider the KHL a "competing" league when it is full of soft skilled guys and the NHL's rejects.

If he ever wanted to return to the NHL, he was contractually obligated to the Wings. That doesn't mean he was planning on coming back.

He didn't stay in Russia, and from his relations with the team he obviously liked it here.

Guest Crymson

Exactly. He took the Wings to arbitration, thus stalling their ability to sign anyone, and most free agents were gone by the time he decided to jump ship.

Exactly. He took the Wings to arbitration, thus stalling their ability to sign anyone, and most free agents were gone by the time he decided to jump ship.

And this has what to do with loyalty?

Hudler went to arbitration due to a contract dispute. Happens to RFAs.

The Red Wings had the opportunity to negotiate up until the hearing to attempt to dissolve the issue as soon as possible. They offered Hudler 3 million taxed dollars while Dynamo offered him 5 per year untaxed while providing a car, utilities, and an apartment to live in.

Hudler went to Moscow for a year, expecting to play through his contract.

When Dynamo Moscow folded, Hudler had every opportunity to sign for another team for more than the 2.8 he was given with Detroit. He declined to do that and came back to Detroit to be paid much less than expected.

Right now he is struggling, but unless you can prove to me that it is because he really doesn't want to be here, then it is simply because things are not working for him/he is simply playing lazy/ is not adapting to the North American game/etc.

I have seen nothing unusual in Jiri Hudler's behavior. You could argue it is a dick move for Hudler to ask for more money (how dare he, right?), but it has nothing to do with disloyalty.

The fact that he went to the KHL for more money in the first place is the point yes? Instead of staying with the better team in the better league for "less" like other "loyal" players have done, he went to an inferior league where apparently his skills and work ethic have eroded somewhat.

esteef

The fact that he went to the KHL for more money in the first place is the point yes? Instead of staying with the better team in the better league for "less" like other "loyal" players have done, he went to an inferior league where apparently his skills and work ethic have eroded somewhat.

esteef

And you find it strange that a player wants to make as much as he possibly can?

It's not like Detroit is full of players who have salaries much less than they deserve.

Can't hurt that he came back immediately and didn't attempt to sign any other contract with another KHL team.

Still doesn't demonstrate in any way that he planned on coming back. Who knows if he'd be back here had Dynamo moscow not folded.

The going to arbitration made it even more surprising, as that move sort of unofficially communicates "I want to stay with this team, but I think I should make more money" since it means you no longer can entertain offers from othe teams in the NHL.

I would hardly consider the KHL a "competing" league when it is full of soft skilled guys and the NHL's rejects.

The KHL offered Hudler a bigger contract and the Wings lost one of their current players to that league. How is that not a competing league?

It's certainly not at par with the NHL, but the KHL has poached some NHL talent. That's a competitor.

He didn't stay in Russia, and from his relations with the team he obviously liked it here.

He liked it here so much he turned down $3 million a year to get $5 million a year in an inferior league.

I can certainly believe "you don't know what you've got until it's gone" with Hudler, but there's nothing to indicate definitively that Hudler planned on coming back the whole time.

And this has what to do with loyalty?

Hudler went to arbitration due to a contract dispute. Happens to RFAs.

The Red Wings had the opportunity to negotiate up until the hearing to attempt to dissolve the issue as soon as possible. They offered Hudler 3 million taxed dollars while Dynamo offered him 5 per year untaxed while providing a car, utilities, and an apartment to live in.

Hudler went to Moscow for a year, expecting to play through his contract.

When Dynamo Moscow folded, Hudler had every opportunity to sign for another team for more than the 2.8 he was given with Detroit. He declined to do that and came back to Detroit to be paid much less than expected.

Right now he is struggling, but unless you can prove to me that it is because he really doesn't want to be here, then it is simply because things are not working for him/he is simply playing lazy/ is not adapting to the North American game/etc.

I have seen nothing unusual in Jiri Hudler's behavior. You could argue it is a dick move for Hudler to ask for more money (how dare he, right?), but it has nothing to do with disloyalty.

In my book, the dick move is going to arbitration, which shows a level of commitment to the team, then bailing for the KHL.

As for its impact on his play, I don't think it's because he doesn't care, I just think he played for a season in a much less competitive league and his game went to s***. For someone his size who's that slow, that's gonna show.

For the record, I hope Hudler starts to look like the Hudler of old. The team could definitely use his skill, especially on the PP.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Call it a gut feeling, but I don't want Hudler gone. Clearly he stalled out developmentally over in the KHL. It's not simply a readjustment process, but he has to catch up, not just transition to a different style.

It does make sense to trade him, but something tells me he's going to be working all season and off-season to work on the other elements of his game, and I'd like to wait and see in the off-season if he can get it together. We all know Hudler can be a beast if he gets it going. I'd hate to trade him and have him end up bulking up or training with Datsyuk or someone in the art of keeping the opponent away from the puck and becoming a good 2nd line sniper.