• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

haroldsnepsts

Campbell calls (likely Savard) "Fake Artist" in email

Rate this topic

More like, the rule isn't meant to stop people from fighting with less than 5 minutes left, rather to stop coaches from sending out goons to start fights and send a message.

Malkin's fight was purely reactionary to the play that was unfolding on the ice. It's not like it was the first time that year that the rule was amended based on those circumstances.

How is that any different than what Malkin did?

Is that stated in the rules?

Yes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26336

The suspension shall be served unless, upon review of the incident, the Director of Hockey Operations, at his discretion, deems the incident is not related to the score, previous incidents in the game or prior games, retaliatory in nature, “message sending”, etc. The length of suspension will double for each subsequent offense. This suspension shall be served in addition to any other automatic suspensions a player may incur for an accumulation of three or more instigator penalties.

It was a Boston player who was also charged with instigating a fight in the final five minutes, and due to the circumstances was not suspended for it.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Is that stated in the rules?

The rules don't apply to star players. You know better than that.

The suspension shall be served unless, upon review of the incident, the Director of Hockey Operations, at his discretion, deems the incident is not related to the score, previous incidents in the game or prior games, retaliatory in nature, “message sending”, etc

Exactly what part of Malkin's jumping Zetterberg was "not related to the score" or "message sending"?

What part of it WAS message sending?

He didn't even start the scrum. He simply responded to it.

I don't think it would have happened if it was a 1-1 score. The game was Detroit's, the Penguins knew they were about to go down 2-0, and their frustrations were boiling over. We might just be looking at this differently.

TSN has it up now, we get a response from Campbell

Contacted by TSN for his reaction, Campbell said: "For me, it's much ado about nothing. Stephen and I would have banter back and forth and Stephen knows I'm a (hockey) dad venting and both of us knowing it wouldn't go any further than that. Stephen would laugh at me. The game in question (when Gregory Campbell was penalized late in the Atlanta-Florida game) wasn't on TV and I was asking Stephen to find out for me if it was a soft call. That's all there ever was to it. The (refs) working that game are still in the league, aren't they? Stephen handled the officials, just like Terry Gregson does now, and I've got a lot of emails to those guys asking about this soft call or that soft call and that's in a lot of games. I'm not ultimately responsible for the (on-ice) officials, that's Terry Gregson's responsibility, but I have to answer to GMs on these calls."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341367

TSN has this story on their front page: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341367

Contacted by TSN for his reaction, Campbell said: "For me, it's much ado about nothing. Stephen and I would have banter back and forth and Stephen knows I'm a (hockey) dad venting and both of us knowing it wouldn't go any further than that. Stephen would laugh at me. The game in question (when Gregory Campbell was penalized late in the Atlanta-Florida game) wasn't on TV and I was asking Stephen to find out for me if it was a soft call. That's all there ever was to it. The (refs) working that game are still in the league, aren't they? Stephen handled the officials, just like Terry Gregson does now, and I've got a lot of emails to those guys asking about this soft call or that soft call and that's in a lot of games. I'm not ultimately responsible for the (on-ice) officials, that's Terry Gregson's responsibility, but I have to answer to GMs on these calls."

Some pretty good rhetoric there, don't be surprised if this ends up blowing over.

edit: ^Ninja'd! lol. But I'm gonna leave this post here because it's on the new page. :cool:

Edited by ComradeWasabi

TSN has this story on their front page: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=341367

Some pretty good rhetoric there, don't be surprised if this ends up blowing over.

edit: ^Ninja'd! lol. But I'm gonna leave this post here because it's on the new page. :cool:

I think the most important part is this

Contacted by TSN for its reaction to Dellow's piece, deputy commissioner Bill Daly said: "Any suggestion that Colin Campbell performs his job with any less than 100% integrity at all times and in every decision he makes is way off base and just factually wrong. Because of the potential for a conflict of interest, or more importantly a perceived conflict of interest, the League has implemented various structural protections that prohibit Colie from having any oversight or disciplinary authority relating to any game in which his son, Gregory, plays. Its always fair to question and criticize League decisions as being wrong, but not on the basis that they aren't justly and fairly arrived at."

If the NHL really is ok with they lost any respect I had left for the league.

How does a person advance beyond the 4th or 5th grade and not know the difference between "your" and "you're"? As for the profanity, I have saltier language than he does, but I at least understand the right and wrong times to use it. A good, well-timed f-bomb can be just what the doctor ordered, but not in a professional setting. Come on.

tiger-woods-text-messages.png

:lol: Exactly. I wonder how long it will be before this ceases to amuse?

I believe that the fact remains that this governing body isn't any different from the federal government in that they will abuse their power for as long as they can get aweay with it, and they will get away with it as long as we let them. Unfortunately, we can't vote these tools out of office. My guess is that others before me were entirely correct; absolutely nothing will come of this.

Oh well, it was nice to pretend the league might have some integrity regarding Campbell and what a joke he is.

"As Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations for the National Hockey League, Colin Campbell is required to analyze and assess, candidly and directly, the performance of every member of the Hockey Operations Department -- including those of all on-ice officials," NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told ESPN.com in a statement. "He also is required to execute the direction of the 30 Clubs with regard to standards of on-ice rule enforcement as well as on-ice player conduct.

"In the execution of those rigorous and challenging duties over 12 seasons, Colin has been thorough, thoughtful, professional and scrupulous; his integrity has been impeccable, and he has no role whatsoever in matters pertaining to games in which his son plays. Colin Campbell has the complete confidence and support of the National Hockey League, as do all members of the Hockey Operations Department."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5809513

Right. so what about the part where he calls Savard a faker? Seems like the Director of Hockey Operations basically calling a current player something like that to the head of officials might influence how that player is treated.

Very professional. Just like the director of operations "venting" to the head of officials about calls against his son is also totally normal and appropriate conduct.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Guest Heaten

Why can't we call Terry Gregson's personal cell phone to 'vent' about bad calls? I emailed them about the SJ vs Wings series last playoff and never got a reply. But this clown gets to 'vent' whenever he wants to the head man?

I want this guy fired, NOW!

Exactly what part of Malkin's jumping Zetterberg was "not related to the score" or "message sending"?

Malkin is a superstar and not a registered full-time goon, so of course he is incapable of sending a message or instigating a fight.

Zetterberg is less of a star so clearly he started. He was lucky to not get suspended, in fact.

Edited by egroen

Malkin is a superstar and not a registered full-time goon, so of course he is incapable of sending a message or instigating a fight.

So when a Penguin instigates an altercation (while others are involved in a scrum previously) he should automatically be suspended or else it is a double standard?

Zetterberg is less of a star so clearly he started. He was lucky to not get suspended, in fact.

Oh boy.