• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, it's cocky of him to think he would be the player to change that. Honestly, in the games I saw him play in last year - he didn't show me much. Always seemed to me like a talent whose passion/drive was suspect.

How many games did you see?

I don't really know much about his drive but overall he was pretty good. Plus it seemed like every other video griffinsvision put out there had Curt Fraser saying, "Larsson kept us in this game" or "Stole this game for us."

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

Not the best choice of words for him.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:02 AM

I don't think he would misquote holland, although seeing that helm and abdelkader needed 3(?) seasons in the ahl same would go for andersson, i translated directly from the quote and it said "he probably need one more/another season in the ahl", holland maybe should have been more honest ans said "he need a full 3 seasons and then we'll see", maybe he talks different with swedish journalists than the detroit journalists, i don't know.

Helm and Abdelkader barely needed two seasons. Helm (67 and 55 games), really, should not have been in GR in 08-09 and Abdelkader as well only played 76 and 33 games.

I was just thinking about how different the cases of Larsson and Axelsson are in comparison to Ericsson and Ritola. The latter two really had no chance at much success in Sweden while Larsson and Axelsson have pretty big roles for their teams and are developing quite well. Generally speaking, I don't see why some players can't "pay their dues" in Sweden.

#24 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:06 AM

But when they're stars in the SEL they think they should play in the NHL right away, just look at Omark with Edmonton, he had som harsh words as well, and he won the scoring title in the SEL, he just got called up after injuries to hemsky&horcoff but paid his dues in the AHL until now...Zetterberg stayed in Sweden pretty long and then made the team right away, if axelsson stays in sweden 1 or 2 more years and tear it up maybe he can go the zetterberg-route?

Edited by mindfly, 09 December 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#25 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

What did Omark say? Other than "Datsyuk stole my move".

#26 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:14 AM

What did Omark say? Other than "Datsyuk stole my move".

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=77188
He's careful with his words here like players always are with NA-media, but he basically did a Daniel Larsson to the swedish media...

Edited by mindfly, 09 December 2010 - 11:14 AM.

#27 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:21 AM

Raffy skipped the AHL (with the Devs). I think it really does just come down to maturity and the ability to conform to the Wings' system.

works every time

#28 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=77188
He's careful with his words here like players always are with NA-media, but he basically did a Daniel Larsson to the swedish media...

Hmm... That's another thing. Does the Swedish media perhaps take things out of context or misquote players?

#29 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:24 AM

If they're not going to go the route that the other Wings did, then they don't play for the Wings.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:26 AM

Assuming the translation is right, it sounds like he's basically saying he'll come back if the Wings give him a completely unearned opportunity to start in the NHL.

And whether he's right or wrong about Ozzy and Jimmy, it's an incredibly immature and stupid thing to say. Because if he did get to play for the Wings, he's basically going to be alongside Jimmy and playing behind a lot of guys who won at least one Stanley Cup with Osgood and have been his teammate for years. They might not take too well to some rookie shooting his mouth off about their teammate and friend, particularly when that rookie hasn't done s***.

#31 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

How many games did you see?

I don't really know much about his drive but overall he was pretty good. Plus it seemed like every other video griffinsvision put out there had Curt Fraser saying, "Larsson kept us in this game" or "Stole this game for us."

Admittedly, I was only able to catch a handful of Wings games last year with Larsson I think having the edge in which goaltender I saw more. I can remember being wildly unimpressed with his outings, especially considering the talk about him and his status as a prospect. Perhaps the small sampling wasn't enough to get a real feel for his abilities, but that was the impression I got as a result.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Anyone immature enough to say such things in public is probably not somebody worth investing in. Bad attitude.

Raffy skipped the AHL (with the Devs). I think it really does just come down to maturity and the ability to conform to the Wings' system.

Rafalski was undrafted. He had already played in Europe for several seasons by the time the Devils signed him.

#33 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

I can only imagine the look on Bab's face after reading that.

What a stupid cocky little f***. I don't even care if you outplayed Howard and think Osgood is finished. You don't pretend you are better than a goaltender who can actually hack it in the NHL (how many games have you played, there Dan?) and bash the winningest goaltender in Wings history. That just screams "I don't care about the team, just myself."

Larsson will not be a Wing for long.

Posted Image

#34 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:06 PM

But when they're stars in the SEL they think they should play in the NHL right away, just look at Omark with Edmonton, he had som harsh words as well, and he won the scoring title in the SEL, he just got called up after injuries to hemsky&horcoff but paid his dues in the AHL until now...Zetterberg stayed in Sweden pretty long and then made the team right away, if axelsson stays in sweden 1 or 2 more years and tear it up maybe he can go the zetterberg-route?

The only problem is, back then we had European rights for an infinite amount of time, now we have a finite amount of time. I guess we could keep on signing HTD and loaning him out to the SEL, but I'm not 100% on how "NHL legal" that is. Plus, Zetterberg was never a basket-case.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#35 paulwoodsfan

paulwoodsfan

Rookie

• Pip
  • 173 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:12 PM

Larsson will not be a Wing for long.

Fixed it.

#36 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:19 PM

Sour grapes just a bit.

I'm all for confidence or cockiness saying that you are going to break somebody's win record or shutouts in a season, something along that lines, but to basically call out people as garbage who are still playing on that team and know what it takes to win and have established themselves successfully in the best of best in competition is beyond idiotic.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 09 December 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#37 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:42 PM

Sour grapes just a bit.

I'm all for confidence or cockiness saying that you are going to break somebody's win record or shutouts in a season, something along that lines, but to basically call out people as garbage who are still playing on that team and know what it takes to win and have established themselves successfully in the best of best in competition is beyond idiotic.

Osgood's success is in his past and what he's shown the recent few seasons is that he does not know or have what it takes to win anymore. Osgood always saying, "I feel great out there" and "I'm going in the right direction" while he is always losing is whats idiotic. An eager young goalie voicing his wanting to contribute now and pointing out the obvious (that he is better suited for Osgood's current job) is a tad cocky but he is wanting his chance. I say let Osgood retire and let the healthy competition between Howard and Larsson flourish as it will only make the both of them play harder and better. Howard having Osgood behind him barely able to handle the odd relief game is not going to serve as a motivating factor nor will it give him the breathers he requires.

#38 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:44 PM

Rafalski was undrafted. He had already played in Europe for several seasons by the time the Devils signed him.

That is part of what I was getting at in the second part of my post. It's not impossible to go from SEL or SM Liiga right to the NHL, but it has as much or more to do with the player's maturity as a professional than it does the quality of the league. Of course the player must be extraordinarily talented, but compare Leino to Raffy - both were mid 20s and at the top of SM Liiga play-wise but only one was ready to go to the NHL. By even opening his mouth Larsson shows he is nowhere near there.

works every time

#39 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Prepared to provide HV for Detroit: Osgood is over "
Success for Daniel Larsson in the HV 71st
Now he's ready to leave the club and to compete with Jimmy Howard in Detroit next season.
- I swept the carpet with him during my first year in the AHL, so I will take the chance if they are willing to let me show you what I go for the NHL, "he says.
Form Strong HV 71 continues to climb the table.
It can thank Daniel Larsson, 24, who has been playing great lately, and tops elite league franchise goalie, too.
- It was a bit shaky for both me and the rest of the team. For my part this was due in large part to the fact that I worked some situations. I asked it to myself because I wanted to show everyone that I am a good goalkeeper, "he says and continues:
Contacted agent
- It was very frustrating but the whole team has lifted in recent times. It is primarily defense game that has gotten better. And it has made my job easier. I have simply been able to play more relaxed.
His success has not gone Detroit - who still own his NHL rights - unnoticed.
- We keep an eye on him and has been in contact with his agent, says the club's European scout Hakan Andersson and adds:
"Talented"
- I really hope that he has not given up on his NHL dream, he is very talented. We are not afraid to take him back if we feel that he is a better goalie than he was when he left us when it is time to sum up this season.
Bet on Howard
Although the club decided to invest in rival Jimmy Howard to replace him last season and he has a year left on his contract with the HV71 so is Daniel Larsson door open for Detroit next season.
"Never farms league"
- The goal has always been to make it to the NHL as soon as possible. The only reason I chose to move back to Sweden this summer was that I was more or less forced to do so to be sure to get some playing time this season, "he says and continues:
- I will never go there and play hockey again AHL affiliate. But I swept the carpet with Jimmy Howard during my first year in the AHL and Chris Osgood is more or less completed. I will take the chance if they are willing to let me show you what I go for the NHL.
Osgood, 38, has won the Stanley Cup three times (1997, 1998 and 2008).

English translation for all.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#40 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,341 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:50 PM

Osgood's success is in his past and what he's shown the recent few seasons is that he does not know or have what it takes to win anymore. Osgood always saying, "I feel great out there" and "I'm going in the right direction" while he is always losing is whats idiotic. An eager young goalie voicing his wanting to contribute now and pointing out the obvious (that he is better suited for Osgood's current job) is a tad cocky but he is wanting his chance. I say let Osgood retire and let the healthy competition between Howard and Larsson flourish as it will only make the both of them play harder and better. Howard having Osgood behind him barely able to handle the odd relief game is not going to serve as a motivating factor nor will it give him the breathers he requires.

Like I said before: you don't bash the winningest goaltender in Detroit Red Wings history just because you believe he is done.

That isn't being eager, it's being selfish and stupid.

Posted Image