• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Mickey Redmond and Ken Daniels

Rate this topic

glenn healy. he's not bad.

Healy is one of the Canadian guys I like. On the to man men penalty tonight called against Montreal, the idiot with Jim Hughson said that was a very questionable call (cheering for the Canadian team). Healy told it like it was and said Montreal had 7 guys on the ice.

Healy is one of the Canadian guys I like. On the to man men penalty tonight called against Montreal, the idiot with Jim Hughson said that was a very questionable call (cheering for the Canadian team). Healy told it like it was and said Montreal had 7 guys on the ice.

i know. i hate hughson too. he's a big canucks homer.

Maybe it's the fact that my 3

came from Thorne/Clement. *shrug*

I understand that.

It's just that in my mind I remember how they always seemed to overemphasize everything the Avs did well when the Wings won and then go nuts whenever the Avs did win.

I'm always surprised at how much other fans hate Ken and Mickey.

Sure, they are homers in the sense they obviously want the Wings to win, but I think they are actually incredibly unbiased in calling things as they are, praising another team and calling out their own.

Besides, it's a freakin' local broadcast - who really wants completely neutral game calling for local broadcasts anyways?

Edited by egroen

I think Ken and Mick and even Murphy are the best trio in all of hockey. The people who think they are homers (which they are ill be honest) need to remember they are not paid by the NHL they are paid by the Red Wings therefore they should be pro Wings and also they are pretty fair especially as someone on here said Mickey when a ref makes a bad call for either side.

Being as objective as I can, I've listened to lots of other broadcast teams. I get the NHL Centre Ice package, so I get to check out plenty of games. I think the biggest difference is that while the Redmond-Daniels combo clearly get excited when the Red Wings score, they don't constantly praise the team.

They spend a lot of time focusing on the opposing team, and they give credit where credit is due. When they see a bad penalty either way (esp Redmond) they really call it out. I don't think there's a more objective team in the league right now, although I do like the Rangers broadcast team as well.

i don't get a chance to listen to many out of town games (or even many wings games these days, for that matter) but i've always appreciated that ken will still call the goal in an exciting way when the other team scores if it's a big goal. and i've always appreciated how mick will say a bad call is a bad call even when the wings benefit. he might get a little more pissed when it goes against the wings, but he still calls it how he sees it no matter what.

murph is a bumbling idioit as the third string commentator.but mickey and ken r great!

yeah, i kind of agree with this. i often find myself cringing when murph talks. he's an alright in-studio guy for little interviews between periods IMO, but i'd rather leave him out of the games.

Yup. Another memorable Thorne goal call.

(crappy quality)

i think that's my favorite GT call. for some reason i always love when the dude's name is part of call, like

of helm's series-winning goal.

But that is what makes Murph so lovable.

He is clearly intoxicated and craving hot dogs!

Seriously though. He does stumble on his words but he does add with his knowledge. They guy is a HHOF D-man and IMO is a big reason Lids was able to make the steps he did to be the D-man he is now when they were paired up.

He may not be a great public speaker but he knows his stuff. If you look past the bumbling he adds some good stuff.

i do like his knowledge he brings and really i dont dislike anyone from the wings system.just have a few opinions bout some.lol id be cool if we only heard from larry once a week or so

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Since you put that one up I always find myself watching this one

I was at this game up in a suite behind that net and I remember thinking the whole time that Huds, Flip, and Sammy were coming down the ice that this was going to be the end of the game.

I really like our guys! I like the detail the give and I love the random facts they throw out there. I really like Murph too. I'm a fan of his seemingly drunken rants...no really I'm a facebook fan of them. ;) But I could understand where some people might find all of them annoying. But they're all good guys. I wouldn't want anyone else covering the games. ^_^

Since, for some reason, I've been getting NHL Center Ice for free this year, I've been able to watch/listen to Ken and Mickey more. I think they're excellent!

I have this thing about color commentators over analyzing and talking to much. Mickey seems to be a perfect color guy, he says what needs to be said and that's it.

Both Ken and Mick don't seem to take themselves to serious, which I think makes their play by play and commentary more enjoyable. 90% of people that watch hockey know as much as the guys on TV anyway, so over analyzing isn't necessary, and mostly is annoying.

Most Canadian hockey broadcasts and broadcasters drive me nuts! First of all, they cheer lead for the Canadian teams, and they think since they're Canadian and it's Hockey they know everything. The color commentary, and even the play by play, on a Canadian channel is too way over the top. The analysis doesn't stop. After a few stops in the play it's, "Please just shut up!" Pierre McGuire is the perfect example of this, and there is more in this country.

I wish there was a way you can watch games without the play by play guys. I know what's going on, and I'm more interested in hearing the music they play at the arenas and the crowd noise.

Here's a tip. Only works if you have surround sound (ie 5 speakers). I've noticed 99% of the play-by-play comes out of the centre speaker. So just unplug the centre speaker and all you get are the sounds of the game! It helps while watching Versus.

I like ken daniels.

i respect mick for a player, but i cant stand his negativity towards the game and how its played. I get it dudd, its not the 60s or 70s NHL that you know and love. Sticks break, holding and hooking penalties are common, but thats the way it is. All he does is rant on that s***, it gets tiring.

As for murph..... i like the guy, but he always sounds drunk. Kind of funny, kind of annoying.

Now dont get me started on the studio guys Mickey York or Keating.... i CANT STAND they way they talk... its kind offfffffffffff...... like this. and kind...... of like that. f*** dude. Quit the dramatic effects, please.

Trevor Thompson is cool though, i like him. Good voice, speaks clearly, and sounds excited about what hes talking about, along w/ a great personality.

Edited by nate94gt

I love Mickey, it will be a sad day when he cannot do this job anymore.

If Daniels stopped talking through his nose I could stomach him more. Sometimes he sounds clear and others he sounds very nasally to the point where I want him to get a nose job.

Muprhy HANDS!!!!!! He needs to loosen up more. When he talks he seems like he is trying to yell or talk over others, not speaking naturally.

I hate John Keating with a passion.

In the earlier years Ken Daniels was very serious and stuffy. Working with Mickey changed his career. Ken Daniels became less serious, embraced the humor and became a better telecaster. I like Murph but I will not like the day when he replaces Mickey Redmond... let us all hope that does not happen anytime soon. Thanks for all the great memories and stories Mickey!!!

Here's a tip. Only works if you have surround sound (ie 5 speakers). I've noticed 99% of the play-by-play comes out of the centre speaker. So just unplug the centre speaker and all you get are the sounds of the game! It helps while watching Versus.

Thanks, I don't have surround sound, but I'll remember that when/if I do.

jim hughson and bob miller

Hughson is the best, most objective pbp. Never fumbles, always speak in a friendly to the ear tone yet gets excited enough when great things happen.