• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

After several games of watching the young'ens

Rate this topic

Synopsis - Ericsson, Eaves, Howard back and raise, Salei back, slight raise, Tatar extra year GR, Mursak up full time, Draper, Modano, Osgood retired, vet back up goalie and Lids yes or no decides other D spot/FA pickup, Miller take or leave... Kindl, verdict still out - sum it up well enough?

Ericsson came into the org with better hockey sense though and a more physical side, whereas Kindl is yet to use his size the way he should...

Ya. That's my biggest fear with Kindl. That he's gonna be another Krupp. Not that Krupp was horrible (away from the Wings), he just drove me nuts with all that size and nothing to do with it.

Edited by Broken 16

Ya. That's my biggest fear with Kindl. That he's gonna be another Krupp. Not that Krupp was horrible (away from the Wings), he just drove me nuts with all that size and nothing to do with it.

Agreed, also, with the way our roster is shaped/shaping... I also fear we'll have too many offensive d-men and not enough stay at home guys to balance them out... with that said, how much of a bargain is Salei turning out to be?!?

Agreed, also, with the way our roster is shaped/shaping... I also fear we'll have too many offensive d-men and not enough stay at home guys to balance them out... with that said, how much of a bargain is Salei turning out to be?!?

Ya... did you see him sucking wind on the bench last game? He's into it and playing hard as I've seen him play. You make a good point with the roster and how we are set. I just get cold sweats when I think of dealing a big, mobile, puck moving defensemen. They are so hard to come by.

You can see what my weakness would be if I were a GM. :)

Ya... did you see him sucking wind on the bench last game? He's into it and playing hard as I've seen him play. You make a good point with the roster and how we are set. I just get cold sweats when I think of dealing a big, mobile, puck moving defensemen. They are so hard to come by.

You can see what my weakness would be if I were a GM. :)

without a doubt, don't get me wrong, that would scare me too, which is why it would need to be a good package to make the deal... this is purely hypothetical and I'm not saying we COULD get this, or it would even be offered, but say at the deadline, that a team looking to retool in the East has a GM that falls in love with him and his upside and offers us something like a 1st and a 3rd for him, or even a 2nd and a 4th... I wouldn't be mad at Holland at all for pulling the trigger on that and would probably be dissapointed in him if he didn't... once again, VERY hypothetical, just kinda the way I look at it

I agree with most things you've said besides trading Kindl would be a huge mistake, and it won't happen anyways. Miller is useless i'm fairly certain he'll be gone after this year. Also, Kevin Bieksa to replace Lidstrom? Yikes! Don't get me wrong Bieksa's on a good streak, but he's pretty much Vancouver fans whipping boy. It would be embarrasing to pick him up to replace Lids, he's AT BEST, a #4 defensemen.

Edited by 10 Minute Misconduct

They can use those bonuses on this years cap, they don't have to carry them over and we have the space on this years, so why wouldn't they absorb them for this year?

As for Emmerton, exactly as you said, it could be him or Miller, whomever they feel is worth keeping, I basically just used Miller to fill the spot to prove the point...

As for Eaves, remember, players are people too and I'm sure he doesn't want to bounce around a whole lot more, especially after he was almost out of the league before he found a home here... I could easily see him staying for even less than 1.5, but wouldn't be surprised if we gave him more either...

One way or another though, those three will surely not take 5.5 worth of cap, so if one gets more, one will probably get less (likely Howard won't see much more than 2) - either way, I see it not being a problem, but yes, it will be tight...

I don't think LTIR can be used to cover bonuses.

Assuming Mursak stays around for another 20 days or so, and McDonald another 50, and no other call-ups, it would leave us about $100k under the cap before counting any bonuses. With a potential $850k between Modano and Salei, it's not outside the realm of possibility that we could have ~$500k in carryover.

Bringing back everyone but Draper and Modano, replacing them with Mursak and Emmerton (or maybe keep Draper over Miller, at a similar price) we'd likely need around ~$1.3M cap raise to fit, or ~$700k with a 22-man roster. I don't think we're in serious trouble or anything, but if any or all of Eaves, Ericsson, or Howard gets any better than they have been, we might need to make a trade to keep them.

Something like this isn't out of the question:

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.500m) / Jan Mursak ($0.650m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.650m) / Drew Miller ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.500m)

Ruslan Salei ($1.200m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($0.750m) /Jimmy Howard ($2.500m)

Bonus Carryover ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

SALARY CAP: ??; CAP PAYROLL: $60,658,711

Modano is done after this year. I think Drew Miller is a decent defensive asset, but maybe we ship him out of town for someone a little more well rounded. Thinking retirement for Draper, although he has shown he is still durable. Re-sign Ericsson and Eaves, along with Howard. Have Mursak be the 13th or 14th forward. I think Lidstrom and Salei are done on the blue line after this year, as well, so i'd be happy with someone like Ryan Suter, Tim Gleason, or Kevin Bieksa to take Lidstrom's spot. Hell, Dion Phaneuf would be a hell of an acquisition from Toronto. Not sure if he will be available or not, though. As far as Salei's spot, someone like Jim Vandemeer or Shane O'Brien seem to fit the bill.

Because it'd count against the cap no matter what. He signed after age 35.

So a player has never retired after signing a multi-year contract? I understand his contract situation and the ramifications of said retirement.

Which is why losing Jiri Fischer was so hard... he was huge, very fast, physical, defensively responsible, good with the puck, and his offensive game was just coming on. Could have had a bunch of Norris trophy wins to his name.

As for the Wings' roster?

Mursak is out of options, and has shown he's quite capable at the NHL level and fits on the roster.

Modano, Draper, Eaves, and Miller are UFAs. Modano will almost certainly retire, Draper is also likely. Keep Eaves if it can be done for under 1.5m, otherwise let him walk; he's good but a 3rd/4th line tweener shouldn't be getting more than that, even if they have the skill to play on the second line.

On defense, Lidstrom, Ericsson, and Salei are UFA. Ericsson will be kept, Lids may retire, and Salei may or may not be kept. If Lidstrom retires, my first pick for replacement is Carolina's Joni Pitkanen. Offensively skilled, good skater, good defensively, big body who plays a physical game. One of the better all-around defensemen in the league. Kindl probably stays around, and likely sees more time early on next year. Based on that, he'll either be traded or kept in a full-time top-six role.

Which is why losing Jiri Fischer was so hard... he was huge, very fast, physical, defensively responsible, good with the puck, and his offensive game was just coming on. Could have had a bunch of Norris trophy wins to his name.

As for the Wings' roster?

Mursak is out of options, and has shown he's quite capable at the NHL level and fits on the roster.

Modano, Draper, Eaves, and Miller are UFAs. Modano will almost certainly retire, Draper is also likely. Keep Eaves if it can be done for under 1.5m, otherwise let him walk; he's good but a 3rd/4th line tweener shouldn't be getting more than that, even if they have the skill to play on the second line.

On defense, Lidstrom, Ericsson, and Salei are UFA. Ericsson will be kept, Lids may retire, and Salei may or may not be kept. If Lidstrom retires, my first pick for replacement is Carolina's Joni Pitkanen. Offensively skilled, good skater, good defensively, big body who plays a physical game. One of the better all-around defensemen in the league. Kindl probably stays around, and likely sees more time early on next year. Based on that, he'll either be traded or kept in a full-time top-six role.

Ahhhh... Fisch. Agreed. I'm still totally bummed on that one. If I remember correctly, he really started coming around once he got paired with Chelios. I always hated Chelios, but I'll always appreciate the work he put into training Jiri. You could tell Chelios was proud of him.

Not sure I agree with your assessment of Eaves though. Beginning of the season, I was with you and thought he was just s plugger with decent hands and a decent shot. He's been showing something recently though and if he can continue to build on that, I could see him being another Cleary type. He just needs Cleary's ethic. Seems like he may have it. Like most things though, time will tell on him. Looks like he's going to have plenty of opportunities this season to prove himself. Who knows...

Yes, if it means an upgrade.

Granted, but how easily can they fill his role when they have to not only pay a new salary, but eat Holmstrom's? I guess you could feasibly still attain an adequate replacement but it seems like it would be a lot more beneficial on many levels to just let him play out his contract. I mean, pre-salary cap, sure, but...

Edited by Broken 16

Modano is done after this year. I think Drew Miller is a decent defensive asset, but maybe we ship him out of town for someone a little more well rounded. Thinking retirement for Draper, although he has shown he is still durable. Re-sign Ericsson and Eaves, along with Howard. Have Mursak be the 13th or 14th forward. I think Lidstrom and Salei are done on the blue line after this year, as well, so i'd be happy with someone like Ryan Suter, Tim Gleason, or Kevin Bieksa to take Lidstrom's spot. Hell, Dion Phaneuf would be a hell of an acquisition from Toronto. Not sure if he will be available or not, though. As far as Salei's spot, someone like Jim Vandemeer or Shane O'Brien seem to fit the bill.

Do you watch Leaf games? Im not trying to be insulting but seriously, Phaneuf is far from the player he was when he first burst into the NHL. He constantly gets beat to the net in his defensive zone, he struggles to move the puck up the ice at times, he can't hit the net to save his life, and he struggles to make decisisions with and without the puck throughout the game. Plus, at $6.5M/yr for another 3 seasons after this season he is grossly overpaid.

Take a look at his stat line this season:

2010-2011 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL GP 25 G 1 A 6 P 7 PMS 38

Do you watch Leaf games? Im not trying to be insulting but seriously, Phaneuf is far from the player he was when he first burst into the NHL.

Yeah but, I mean, he could Double Dion at any moment and make Pierre McGuire explode enough so that we don't have to listen to him anymore.

I don't think LTIR can be used to cover bonuses.

I wasn't referring to LTIR - Just our straight up cap space available from this year will cover his bonuses...

Do you watch Leaf games? Im not trying to be insulting but seriously, Phaneuf is far from the player he was when he first burst into the NHL. He constantly gets beat to the net in his defensive zone, he struggles to move the puck up the ice at times, he can't hit the net to save his life, and he struggles to make decisisions with and without the puck throughout the game. Plus, at $6.5M/yr for another 3 seasons after this season he is grossly overpaid.

Take a look at his stat line this season:

2010-2011 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL GP 25 G 1 A 6 P 7 PMS 38

You always have a way of bringing logic back when someone goes off swimming in the crazy end of the pool... thank you!

Yes, if it means an upgrade.

Flat out ridiculous, on all levels...

Yeah but, I mean, he could Double Dion at any moment and make Pierre McGuire explode enough so that we don't have to listen to him anymore.

Honestly, I live in Toronto so I see way more Leaf games than I'd like to admit (thankfully I have centre ice so I get to see all the Wings games too) and Phaneuf is disgustingly bad at times. His confidence must be shot because when the puck is on his stick he struggles to make a decision. He doesnt hit like he used to. He doesnt move the puck like he used to. Honestly, right now the guy is a shell of what he once was. Im not saying he couldnt turn it around one day but man that is a gamble (especially for the money)

You always have a way of bringing logic back when someone goes off swimming in the crazy end of the pool... thank you!

ha cooler heads have to prevail