• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut40

"Everybody Hates Lebda"

Rate this topic

I enjoyed watching both Yushkevich, and Markov when they were Leafs; both played solid D, and weren't afraid to get their noses dirty.

Too bad Yushkevich had that blood clot in his leg; the team really needed him then.

They were a hell of a fun team to watch about 10 years ago. I remember in 2002 specifically they had a hell of a tough, physical team. Tie Domi, Shayne Corson, Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker, a young Bryan McCabe, and I believe Wade Belak was on that team too, although he probably didn't play a ton. Combine them with the finesse of guys like Sundin and Mogilny, and that was a fun team to watch. That was the last time I remember Toronto being anything close to a Cup contender, though.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I actually feel a little bad for Lebs. But he got his meager payday and he has a Cup ring, so not too bad...

Lebda is a servicable 7th D when signed to a contract worth less than 1 million. Once that threshold is passed, expectations increase and his skill set can't keep up.

But Lebda already fulfilled a dream by making it to the NHL.

I always liked Lebda. There were stretches where he played solid hockey for the Wings. It was no secret that he had a limited skill set. I still contend (irrational as it may be) that he can find a role somewhere, somehow based on his speed. But he better hurry, his speed won't set him apart forever. I was kinda pullin for him to find a niche in Toronto but that obviously isn't happening. Heh.

Anyway... I don't hate you Lebs. :)

Edited by Broken 16

They were a hell of a fun team to watch about 10 years ago. I remember in 2002 specifically they had a hell of a tough, physical team. Tie Domi, Shayne Corson, Gary Roberts, Darcy Tucker, a young Bryan McCabe, and I believe Wade Belak was on that team too, although he probably didn't play a ton. Combine them with the finesse of guys like Sundin and Mogilny, and that was a fun team to watch. That was the last time I remember Toronto being anything close to a Cup contender, though.

I wish we played them in the Finals that year.

Would have been interesting to see how our vets would handle the goonery from the Leafs.

I wish we played them in the Finals that year.

Would have been interesting to see how our vets would handle the goonery from the Leafs.

The Leafs were simply too beat up to get to the finals. As I recall, guys like Sundin, Tucker, Roberts, Mogilny were playing with major injuries and guys like Yushkevich, Renberg, Pilar, Valk were hurt for stretches.

They ran out of gas. Had they somehow beat Irbe...I mean Carolina, I think it would have been an easy win for Detroit...4 games, maybe 5 max.

When was the last time Leafs fans actually liked any defenseman?

This is not on Lebda. It's on that whole franchise and it's inability to sign/draft/trade for good players.

That's not accurate. The Leafs have been able to sign, draft, and trade for plenty of good players in the past ten to fifteen years. Here's a sample: Mats Sundin, Felix Potvin, Dmitri Mironov, Tomas Kaberle, Gary Roberts, Alexander Mogilny, Pavel Kubina, Jason Allison, Joe Nieuwendyk, Owen Nolan, Ed Belfour, Dmitri Yushkevich, Cory Cross, Curtis Joseph, Steve Sullivan, Freddy Modin, Mathieu Schneider.

The Leafs have been terrible for the past few years, ever since Pat Quinn dropped the GM job. Burkie won't fix it either.

This is not Brian Burke's usual type of team. Shocking actually. I think most (including myself) assumed Toronto would soon become one of the meanest teams in the league once Burke took over, but I mean Toronto looks nothing like what I thought they would. The overall team toughness isn't there. Look at the 2007 team he put together in Anaheim, the perfect blend of finesse, grit, and defensive prowess. Skilled guys like Teemu Selanne, Andy McDonald, Chris Kunitz, Ryan Getzlaf, Corey Perry mixed with meaner guys like George Parros, Travis Moen, Shawn Thornton, and Brad May. The defense was stellar. Pronger, Niedermayer, Bauchemin..Burke has some work to do in Toronto..

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

I always liked Lebda. There were stretches where he played solid hockey for the Wings. It was no secret that he had a limited skill set. I still contend (irrational as it may be) that he can find a role somewhere, somehow based on his speed. But he better hurry, his speed won't set him apart forever. I was kinda pullin for him to find a niche in Toronto but that obviously isn't happening. Heh.

Anyway... I don't hate you Lebs. :)

I bash on the guy constantly, and constantly laugh at the signing, but I agree with you in the sense that I don't hate the guy and was kinda pulling for him to prove me wrong... with that said, the reality is, that it was probably the 2nd worst signing of the 2010 off season - He's a fringe NHL'er/spare part at best and should only get league minimum and probably a revolving bus pass to and from the minors...

That's not accurate. The Leafs have been able to sign, draft, and trade for plenty of good players in the past ten to fifteen years. Here's a sample: Mats Sundin, Felix Potvin, Dmitri Mironov, Tomas Kaberle, Gary Roberts, Alexander Mogilny, Pavel Kubina, Jason Allison, Joe Nieuwendyk, Owen Nolan, Ed Belfour, Dmitri Yushkevich, Cory Cross, Curtis Joseph, Steve Sullivan, Freddy Modin, Mathieu Schneider.

The Leafs have been terrible for the past few years, ever since Pat Quinn dropped the GM job. Burkie won't fix it either.

Most of those guys were old and past their primes. Also, it seems like a million years ago when those guys were Leafs.

Point is, none of them were younger players that the Leafs developed and were able to keep. Kaberle is overrated, so I wouldn't exactly consider him a great accomplishment for the Leafs.

larry-murphy.jpg

Wasn't he criticized heavily in Toronto for his play?

I bash on the guy constantly, and constantly laugh at the signing, but I agree with you in the sense that I don't hate the guy and was kinda pulling for him to prove me wrong... with that said, the reality is, that it was probably the 2nd worst signing of the 2010 off season - He's a fringe NHL'er/spare part at best and should only get league minimum and probably a revolving bus pass to and from the minors...

Well, I laughed my ass off when I saw the amount Toronto spent on him. I will say that. :)

Pretty sure that's why he ended up here, if I recall correctly Leafs fans were practically running him out of town.

Cliff Fletcher put Larry Murphy in a position to fail. Murphy was brought in to anchor the defense, to play 25:00 a night in all situations and Murphy quite frankly wasn't that kind of guy anymore.

Murphy was an easy target for fans who at that point, were getting used to winning again.

Cliff Fletcher put Larry Murphy in a position to fail. Murphy was brought in to anchor the defense, to play 25:00 a night in all situations and Murphy quite frankly wasn't that kind of guy anymore.

Murphy was an easy target for fans who at that point, were getting used to winning again.

Yup. I remember when the 'Human Pylon' came to Detroit. He was one of the original 'too old' guys to come to Detroit and make a big impact.

Edited by Broken 16

Lebda, I believe, is on pace to have one of the worst +/- seasons in the history of the NHL.

In any event, I suspect he'll be in the AHL by next season at the latest.

Leafs have 6 wins in 21 games with him in the lineup. They're above .500 without him.

Maybe Dave Poulin should be bumped down the Maple Leafs hierarchy a few pegs.

Wow. When it rains, it pours.

I can't even laugh at Lebs anymore. I have to laugh at the idiots who thought that signing him would put the Leafs over the top. :P

Who on Earth was that? I don't think anybody thought that. I guess it was hoped he'd provide 3rd pairing depth and would eat up some powerplay time.