• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
drumlife19

Winter Classic to Detroit?!

Rate this topic

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those who haven't seen yet:

http://www.freep.com...ext|FRONTPAGE|s

Just hearing of a slight possibility that we could get it gets my adrenaline pumping.

I just don't know where it'd be better at:

a) Comerica Park: because it's in the heart of Detroit

b) Michigan Stadium: because getting 100,000+ fans in there would be one incredible sea of red

opinions?

Yeah, this has been discussed before. The majority of LGW gets all butthurt because Pittsburgh got 2 and why would we get 2 type thing. I would love it if it was here and think Michigan Stadium would be an unreal site for it. Either one works for me though and I will be there if they bring it here. Won't convince me otherwise with all the complaining that we shouldn't get 2 in such a short period of time. Would be great for the state and city of Detroit.

The NHL really screwed up on it this year. You can do Pens/Caps any year, but the Habs/Wings should've played at Michigan Stadium this year on December 10th (night before the Big Chill). Who did the Wings play on 12/10 this year? The Habs. Where was it? The Joe. Does the winter classic have to be on 1/1? I don't think so.

No!

OTHER teams need to be involved.

I was against a 2nd for the Pens for this reason, and I am against a 2nd one for the Wings for the same reason.

Me three.

But in three years look for: Phoenix-Dallas at the Jerry Jones Billion $ Stadium. Good luck getting a ticket to that. :)

No!

OTHER teams need to be involved.

I was against a 2nd for the Pens for this reason, and I am against a 2nd one for the Wings for the same reason.

I admire you for sticking to your guns and not being a waffling homer.

I, on the other hand, see this as nothing more than a marketing ploy so I don't care if a team is in it twice in a matter of a couple of years. I'm not familiar with MI landmarks, so I don't have an opinion on the location.

For me, Comerica gets the edge. If this were to happen, its gotta be in a downtown Detroit location. It just wouldn't feel right to be played anywhere else. I know the Big House has more seating and what not, but thats really the only thing the location has above Comerica, in my opinion.

As for the Wings playing in it twice, I don't really mind it that much. I'll fully admit that I was complaining about the Pens getting another WC mostly because it was the Pens :) Realistically, the WC game needs to have 2 cold weather market teams in it, and those teams need to have a large enough fan base to get the ratings the NHL needs for the game. That narrows the pool of possible teams considerably. I think a Red Wings - NYR Winter Classic would be awesome.

Comerica, keep it in the city. Plus one of the great things about watching it on TV is the visual. The Big House isn't a nice stadium it's just a Big one but it doesn't translate that well to TV. Comerica can provide a much better atmosphere with the city as a backdrop and all the high tech equipment. Although I would rather just not have it here at all, give it to Denver and have the Wings play the Avalanche or give it to two completely different teams that have never had it before. I know I don't have to be watching the wings to enjoy the winter classic.

Reading that article it doesn't sound at all like Bettman wants the classic in Michigan. Sounded more like his typical pandering and skipping around the actual question.

Would we like to do an outdoor game in Michigan? The answer is: We know it’s a great hockey market, the Ilitches are terrific owners, and they certainly know how to put on first-class events. The logistics, the specifics -- as they say, the devil is in the detail.

Sounds to me a Michigan reporter asked him the question, and he said exactly what he would say if any other team's reporter asked the same question.

New York Rangers need a winter classic realistically. But to stay on subject if Detroit were to get another winter classic it needs to be at the Big House. We need to show how mighty our fanbase really is, why they call us hockeytown. I don't know who we would face but maybe an original six team.

shoulda had it at tiger stadium before it was demolished, would have been amazing.

I think central park would be great 2. who said the winter classic has to be in a huge stadium.

All of the fans who would like a seat to watch the game, that's who said so! :hehe:

IF the Wings ever get a Winter Classic it would defintely be at Comerica. There are quite a few reasons but the 3 obvious ones are:

Ilitch has a LOT more to gain by having it in his own bldg (parking, concessions).

There zero amenities at The Big House.

And my personal favorite, there' no beer at The Big House.

IF the Wings ever get a Winter Classic it would defintely be at Comerica. There are quite a few reasons but the 3 obvious ones are:

Ilitch has a LOT more to gain by having it in his own bldg (parking, concessions).

They would serve beer at the big house for an NHL event and what amenities do you speak of? It has actually gotten a lot better in the past couple of years with the upgrades.

The big Chill at the Big House was sooooo much fun and the sights lines were amazing everywhere. Plus, the 110K+ amount of people would be soooo easy to fill. MSU/UofM and all nearby colleges would be on hiatus so it'd be super easy to fill that much more.

You can't serve beer at college sanctioned events. The NHL is not university sanctioned event, therefore you can have alcohol.

At the Big Chill, there were A LOT of amenities.

When we went to the Big Chill we brought in flasks, worked perfectly.