• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mabuhay Red Wings

Wings Playoff/Cup chances?

Rate this topic

idc if they pick it up in the playoffs, there are 20,000 fans in the joe everynight that paid to watch them give it their all on the ice.

FINALLY !!!! Someone who understands! I am tired of the games in Dec-Feb being played at a cruise control level or players not being able to play because of a broken pinky! Great fans pay HUGE amounts of money to go watch players who make multi-millions play like they make $40,000... I went to watch the High School Hockey States between Wyandotte and Farminton last night, now those are players playing for pride! (and it only cost $5!) and it was 1000 times more enjoyable than watching the Wings blow another league and play with no heart when I got home! I actually turned off Underworld: Rise of the Lycan to watch that crappy game! :lol:

I know you're angry that the Wings haven't been so dominant as to erase from your mind any possibility that you may end up disappointed, but maybe you'll at least look into the past for data.

I can't comment on this, because I have absolutely no idea what this is supposed to mean. I think you were trying to say something intelligent in a smart-ass sort of way?

Please don't bother responding.

I give them an 80% chance of winning the first round.

If they win that, 50% chance of winning the second round.

If they win that, 40% chance of winning Western Conference.

If they win that, 45% chance of winning The Cup.

So...about a 1-in-fourteen chance of winning The Cup.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Slightly better odds than a random 1-in-16, but certainly not an overwhelming favorite.

Edited by donfishmaster

Yup. It generally happens that way.

Well, things almost always have turned out differently in the playoffs.

I know you're angry that the Wings haven't been so dominant as to erase from your mind any possibility that you may end up disappointed, but maybe you'll at least look into the past for data.

I'm not happy about the way we're playing, Crymson.

Guest Crymson

I'm not happy about the way we're playing, Crymson.

Nor am I. However, this and "We're going to lose early in the playoffs for sure" are two utterly different statements.

The way the Wings are playing now is frustrating from a fan's viewpoint. Example: the blown 4-1 4rd period lead against the Yotes. When they are off to a slow start, they seem to be able to flip the STFU switch and kick it up another gear. What we saw in the Yotes game was the opposite. They had a commanding lead and were effectively owning the Yotes.....then they seemed to flip the switch to "off". I hope they are just saving themselves for the "prom", but if not I see an early exit in the playoffs. As a fan from the "Dead Things" era, this ain't nothin. Wings will kick ass and not even have time to take names. As long as they quit playing like boneheads.

Edited by HOCKEY MATTERS

Guest Scrosby87

Everybody knows the Wings get it done in the playoffs.

Who do you think your toughest challenge is? Can anyone beat the Wings in a 7 game series. (Other than Vancouver --- and that's arguable)

onoz_2.gif

Just kidding. Relax people. Some of you need to take a few steps back and also take a deep breath. The Wings have weak spots yes, but when they pull their heads from their asses, they can more than be overcome. So their problems at the moment are problems they have total control over. It's not something that's in everyone else's hands, it's something that's in our hands. We've done it once, we can do it again.

I guess the question should be more like what is the chance that each Wings team will show up in the playoffs.

If the lazy Wings who blow leads show up then they have no chance. If the full potential Wings show up then there should be no reason they don't win the Cup.

I dunno, this year I'm not super confident but I do think they have enoughw eapons to win it all if they peak at the right time.

When you look at it, Vancouver and the Sharks are the 2 teams in the west that are the other best. Both teams have playoff demons, Luongo is not much of a playoff goalie and I think the Sedin sisters can be shut down with some physical play.

I still think this team needs some fresh blood somewhere in the line up

Ok, so which "weapons" do they no longer have that they had in 2008? Howard obviously replaces Ozzie but who else? No Drake, Lebda, Lilja or Maltby.

I think that we are better personnel wise than we were in '08 and if Howie plays well, we win the Cup.

Ok, so which "weapons" do they no longer have that they had in 2008? Howard obviously replaces Ozzie but who else? No Drake, Lebda, Lilja or Maltby.

I think that we are better personnel wise than we were in '08 and if Howie plays well, we win the Cup.

We had Todd McClellan still. Also Sammy, Korepecky, and Dmac.

I agree with you for the most part though, roster-wise we have plenty of talent, but still, they haven't impressed me enough this season for me to declare a cup win just yet.

Every season has its different ups and downs. No one can truly say we knew we were going to win any Cup with the exception of maybe '98 and '02 and even those seasons had their low points. Take it easy chicken littles, I am just as skeptical as all of you are. But to say "NO! 2nd round exit and no more" is just outright lunacy to me.

Id be surprised if wings made it out the first or 2nd round honestly.

Cant beat hawks

Cant beat sharks

Cant beat the stars

Hard time with the preds

Maybe we can avoid all those teams, or maybe they quit the s*** in the playoffs. But like last year you noticed they played the same game they played all season, s*** defense and outscore the opponent. Need to work out the kinks ASAP

Id be surprised if wings made it out the first or 2nd round honestly.

Cant beat hawks

Cant beat sharks

Cant beat the stars

Hard time with the preds

The Wings were 3-1 against the Avs in the regular season in '96 and we lost to them in the playoffs. Then the Wings were 1-3 against them in the regular season in '97 and we won in the playoffs. If the only time the Wings can beat the Hawks, Sharks, Stars and Preds is in the playoffs... I'm fine with that.

I cant believe some of you have given hope, and/or bashing them on whatever chance you get

"theyre too old, they lack determination, the goalie sucks, the defense is worse"

Its the WINGS were talking about. They're having a rough time for whatever reason.. but they find a way to get back ontop of the game & you know they'll fight 50x harder come next month!

just as long as we dont face the sharks :P

Edited by LadyInRed

I pretty much agree - however I don't think much will happen this summer...The big "news" is whether or not Lids comes back for another season.

There needs to be a few shake ups on defense. Clearly, that's our biggest problem. If Lids retires, that obviously magnifies the issue. I don't see many shake ups as far as forwards. I'd like to see a gritty bottom 6 guy, but that could depend on whether Draper decides to play another year.

Ill just post the year and who I predicted for that particular year.

1995 - Detroit

1996 - Detroit - Not a doubt in my mind.

1997 - Detroit - After the brawl, not a doubt in my mind.

1998 - Detroit - VKSM. It was just destiny this year.

1999 - Detroit - Chelios, Clark, Ulfie, Ranford

2000 - Colorado

2001 - Colorado

2002 - Detroit - No doubt in my mind.

2003 - Detroit - Pretty much the same team as 02.

2004 - Colorado - Kariya and Selanne

2006 - San Jose

2007 - San Jose

2008 - San Jose - Yes, I seriously picked them three years in a row. I really liked the make up of those teams.

2009 - Detroit - Hossa. Still stunned we didn't win.

2010 - Pittsburgh - Notice this is the first east team I've picked. I thought Chicago was too young, and that Detroit had lost too much.

2011 - Vancouver - I just think its their year. So much talent top to bottom. I hope I'm wrong. I've been 4/17 at this afterall, haha

It's always tough to give an objective and reasonable prediction while in the throes of a losing streak in which we've played terrible.

That said, I haven't truly liked Detroit's chances at any point during this season. Things I believe will cause us serious trouble:

1) Howard has been terrible this year. He's won a lot of games, but many of those have come on the broad shoulders of the team's league-leading goal scoring. Howard has been prone to lapses in concentration that have led to at least 1 poor goal in nearly every one of his starts this year and he's had a very difficult time stringing together strong performances in succession.

2) Our defense has been completely exposed by two things: a) chip & chase with aggressive forecheck and b) attacking from below the goal line. Our d-men look completely lost when the opponent doesn't back off and give them room to work. Even Nick Lidstrom has been prone to coughing up the puck and making poor decisions when under duress and this is the first year I believe I've ever seen that

3) Special teams lack urgency. The powerplay has been lazy, predictable and altogether stagnant. The PP looks lost when teams take away the point option because they're trying to get too cute down low and seem completely unwilling to shoot for rebounds and dig for garbage goals. The failure on the powerplay can almost entirely be attributed to the fact that the penalty killers give up entry into the defensive zone too easily. The opposition doesn't even have to make a pass to gain entry because our defense backs down so willingly to the puck carrier. Easy entry = easy setup = free shots = bad PK. It's that simple.

These are the 3 things that I believe are going to kill us in the playoffs. Playoff style hockey with high intensity and aggressive forechecking is exactly the type of type of hockey that is designed to dismantle a team that plays a soft perimeter game like the Wings have been all year.

Guest mjtm77

It's always tough to give an objective and reasonable prediction while in the throes of a losing streak in which we've played terrible.

That said, I haven't truly liked Detroit's chances at any point during this season. Things I believe will cause us serious trouble:

1) Howard has been terrible this year. He's won a lot of games, but many of those have come on the broad shoulders of the team's league-leading goal scoring. Howard has been prone to lapses in concentration that have led to at least 1 poor goal in nearly every one of his starts this year and he's had a very difficult time stringing together strong performances in succession.

2) Our defense has been completely exposed by two things: a) chip & chase with aggressive forecheck and b) attacking from below the goal line. Our d-men look completely lost when the opponent doesn't back off and give them room to work. Even Nick Lidstrom has been prone to coughing up the puck and making poor decisions when under duress and this is the first year I believe I've ever seen that3) Special teams lack urgency. The powerplay has been lazy, predictable and altogether stagnant. The PP looks lost when teams take away the point option because they're trying to get too cute down low and seem completely unwilling to shoot for rebounds and dig for garbage goals. The failure on the powerplay can almost entirely be attributed to the fact that the penalty killers give up entry into the defensive zone too easily. The opposition doesn't even have to make a pass to gain entry because our defense backs down so willingly to the puck carrier. Easy entry = easy setup = free shots = bad PK. It's that simple.

These are the 3 things that I believe are going to kill us in the playoffs. Playoff style hockey with high intensity and aggressive forechecking is exactly the type of type of hockey that is designed to dismantle a team that plays a soft perimeter game like the Wings have been all year.

agree with every thing here but especially Lids he has been giving the puck up a little bit this year

This year I feel that we're much better than any other team. I rarely had that feeling in the past. Last time it was in 2007 when we lost to Anaheim and back in 2002 for obvious reasons. If our players want it hard, we're going to win. However, I don't think our players are motivated enough.

[/quote

This is what really, really scares me this year. They have many more lackluster games then I ever remember them having. Im not (like some people on here) concerned about the goaltending situation as I believe Jimmy will give the team more then the opportunity to win. I just hope they start to show that spark again sometime very soon.

This is what really, really scares me this year. They have many more lackluster games then I ever remember them having. Im not (like some people on here) concerned about the goaltending situation as I believe Jimmy will give the team more then the opportunity to win. I just hope they start to show that spark again sometime very soon.

It's kind of starting to feel like 02-03. They win some games, stay competitive for the 2nd spot in the West but too often you think to yourself, "Does this team have any real hunger at all?"