• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zombi

'History Will Be Made' Ad Campaign Is Coming Back!

Rate this topic

NEW YORK – Last season's award-winning History Will Be Made™ campaign will return for the 2011 Stanley Cup® Playoffs but with significantly broader distribution. This year, the National Hockey League (NHL) and the NBC Sports Group have joined forces to distribute the national advertising campaign across the TV, online, radio, print, in-arena, in-store point-of-purchase, mobile and social media platforms of the NHL, NBC and VERSUS as well as additional NBC Universal platforms, such as CNBC and MSNBC.

Last season's History Will Be Made campaign was one of the most successful campaigns in NHL history, driving more than 302 million TV viewers for the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, the most watched in 36 years. The campaign, which featured prominent Playoffs moments from NHL greats Bobby Orr and others, not only drove interest and television viewership but connected with fans on an emotional level and inspired them to create and post their own versions of the TV spots to YouTube, generating more than 2,400 fan-created commercials and more than 8 million total views. For the second straight year, fans will be able to download the music composed for the History Will Be Made campaign from the NHL's Facebook page for fan-generated spots.

The first pair of TV spots in this season's campaign – "Wish" and "Mess" - will debut on March 13 during the NBC Sports broadcast of the Chicago Blackhawks at Washington Capitals game and more than 20 additional spots will launch by April 13, the first day of the Playoffs. Starting April 14 through the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, a new spot will be produced each day, highlighting a key moment from the previous night's games.

"The Stanley Cup Playoffs are filled with drama, the emotional highs and lows of crucial wins and

losses, the unbearable tension of sudden death overtime and performances that can define a career forever," said Brian Jennings, NHL Executive Vice President of Marketing. "Last season, the History Will Be Made campaign, which celebrated some of the iconic moments that make the Stanley Cup Playoffs so special, elicited an overwhelming emotional reaction from our fans. Fans brought handmade History Will Be Made signs to games and shared their own versions of the campaign on YouTube. Players even referenced the campaign in post-game interviews. This year, by taking a truly collaborative approach on creative, production and media with NBC Sports and VERSUS, we expect the campaign to continue to reach and resonate with even more fans, further helping to drive interest and viewership."

"There is both quality and power in the History Will Be Made campaign," said John Miller, who heads the NBC Sports Agency and the NBCUniversal Marketing Council. "By pooling our creative resources and air time, we believe collectively we can effectively tell the story of the excitement and emotion of the Stanley Cup Playoffs."

Last year's 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs campaign received three Sports Media Marketing Awards, including top prizes for Best Television Promotion and Best Live Sporting Event Spot and a silver in the Best Television Promotion category.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...ews in English

Definitely glad to hear this news. It was truly a great idea.

....oh, and I can't wait for the parodies.

Update: The newest 4 can be seen here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/464771-NHL_s_History_Will_Be_Made_Video_Promo.php

Edited by zombi

I still think the best hockey commercial is the montage of everyone lifting the Cup, then the quip about it weighing forty-something pounds except when you lift it.

Agreed. This one always gave me goosebumps.

Some of the parodies of the History Will be Made commercials are awesome too.

Edited by hooon

Good move by the NHL. I hope this year they don't use highlights from the previous game though. I'm against most situations declaring a moment as "history" in its immediate aftermath... especially with the way these commercials are set up.

Example: "What if _____ hadn't ______ ?"

And then the answer is still "they would've still lost their first round series"

Good move by the NHL. I hope this year they don't use highlights from the previous game though. I'm against most situations declaring a moment as "history" in its immediate aftermath... especially with the way these commercials are set up.

Example: "What if _____ hadn't ______ ?"

And then the answer is still "they would've still lost their first round series"

Agreed. Keep it relative to things that have actually completed their circuit. For instance, if one player does something amazing that lets a team into the playoffs, then it's okay, but more recent than that is just silly. Keep it for great history moments most people would recognize.

You can view the newest 4 here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/464771-NHL_s_History_Will_Be_Made_Video_Promo.php

I can not believe that the re-dubbed Kane's goal from last year's finals to make it seem like the call happened at the same time of the goal.

Stop trying to rewrite history! We all know how it went down!

Seriously was one of the most confusing and anticlimactic moments in SCF history.

You can view the newest 4 here: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/464771-NHL_s_History_Will_Be_Made_Video_Promo.php

I can not believe that the re-dubbed Kane's goal from last year's finals to make it seem like the call happened at the same time of the goal.

Seriously was one of the most confusing and anticlimactic moments in SCF history.

Was their radio guy as confused as Doc? I'm under the assumption that it may be the real call.

These seem more well executed than last year's, but I really loved the music in last year's. Here's hoping that they do a better job on the 'immediate history' ads. They started throwing them together so quick they looked worse than most of the fan-made ones.

Maybe that's what they mean by "History will be Made".

Any bets that as soon as the Penis are out of it, there'll be a "What if Sidney hadn't been concussed?" commercial?

Was their radio guy as confused as Doc? I'm under the assumption that it may be the real call.

These seem more well executed than last year's, but I really loved the music in last year's. Here's hoping that they do a better job on the 'immediate history' ads. They started throwing them together so quick they looked worse than most of the fan-made ones.

Here is the original call:

Edited by zombi

The new ones on the hawks are awesome.. especially on Toews "history begins with one wish"

I love these sentimental hockey commercials! is it cheesy to say many of them give me chills?

^One of my favs

That is a great commercial.. Nothing needs to be said

-------------------WISH------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ6wNXIHXVU&feature=player_embedded

------------------49 YEARS-------------

My link

--------EASTER EPIC-------------

My link

-----------MESS----------------

My link

Won't allow me to post all 4 of them inside of my own post or a secondary because of me being the last person...

I'm not sure how I feel about these commercials, I understood they wanted to do a more recent thing with this years but.... idk last year it hit me on a personal note especially with the Stevie Y 60 ft 2nd OT winner, and hit alot of fans with their favorite moments. I only see Blackhawk fans (fanclub est. 2009) being emotional with these original 4 commercials.

Edited by evilzyme