• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

4/10 GDT: Red Wings 4 at Blackhawks 3

Rate this topic

I always thought they turn it over before the season starts, when the last guy on the team has had his day with the Cup.

But I guess I just assumed it. I've not heard the details.

For the sake of the banner raising ceremony that is the case, but the teams staff still get their turns with the cup well into the season. November of 2009 one of the Penguins scouts brought the cup to St. John's and I went to see it. I guess they return the cup when everybody has had their turn, but the whole start of the season thing definitely seems to be just for the ceremony.

That was a great "us against the world" win for the Wings. Night-and-day difference from the flaccid effort we saw at the Joe in the previous game.

The league is showing some bad signs. Twice this season, Detroit has played a game at Chicago and not had a single power play. To my recollection, those are the only two games I've seen in my long, hockey-watching lifetime where that happened to the Wings. And twice in the same season, against the same team?

I have long defended Eddie O. as anything but a Detroit-hater, but it's undeniable that he was awful today. Doc was the only one to even make a talking-point of the fact no penalty had been called as they showed an angry Franzen with blood dripping down his face, yelling at the officials. And Doc only mentioned it somewhat indirectly. I think the importance of today's game pushed Eddie over the line and he lost his composure. NBC will have to reconsider how they assign games moving forward.

No problem... I too watched it over a couple times... it was even more amazing watching it the second and third times when I wasn't in my heart racing game mode lol. The fact that Pavs was able to deke around and through 4 guys alone is amazing, but the fact that he did it to the mighty KEITH AND SEABROOK and TOEWS and HOSSA was simply amazing. Like I said earlier, he made them look like little timbits hockey players. Best hands in the league by far, and best all around player in the world. We all pale to Pavel Datsyuk :P

No problem... I too watched it over a couple times... it was even more amazing watching it the second and third times when I wasn't in my heart racing game mode lol. The fact that Pavs was able to deke around and through 4 guys alone is amazing, but the fact that he did it to the mighty KEITH AND SEABROOK and TOEWS and HOSSA was simply amazing. Like I said earlier, he made them look like little timbits hockey players. Best hands in the league by far, and best all around player in the world. We all pale to Pavel Datsyuk :P

Datsyuk was a beast. It was amazing watching him weave through guys like that with someone of Hossa's caliber all over him trying to get the puck.

This bodes well for his performance in the playoffs. Hopefully Z can get healthy and come back in full Beard Mode™ too.

Guest Crymson

Datsyuk was a beast. It was amazing watching him weave through guys like that with someone of Hossa's caliber all over him trying to get the puck.

By "caliber," of course, you refer to both the size of their gun barrels and the high quality of their characters... Two meanings... caliber... it's a homonym... Forget it.

dr-evil-150x150.jpg

Guest Crymson

I hope someone uploads the earlier Pav dangles onto YT. NHL.com has it but I'd like to see it up close and in slow motion. Everything looks better in slow motion.

Not mine:

I have long defended Eddie O. as anything but a Detroit-hater, but it's undeniable that he was awful today. Doc was the only one to even make a talking-point of the fact no penalty had been called as they showed an angry Franzen with blood dripping down his face, yelling at the officials. And Doc only mentioned it somewhat indirectly. I think the importance of today's game pushed Eddie over the line and he lost his composure. NBC will have to reconsider how they assign games moving forward.

He fell deathly silent after the final horn.

And maybe I was a bit sensitive over this but it was almost at some points an anti-Nicklas Lidstrom for the Norris Trophy afternoon. I've never in my life heard people nit pick Nick's game like I heard Pierre, Smellbury and Olsuck do today.

Awesome, gutsy, ballsy win. Complaints:

• The Chicago Blackhawks, for playing PERFECT, INFRACTION-FREE HOCKEY for sixty minutes. Darn them! On a totally unrelated note,
  • Johan Franzen's face, for spontaneously combusting. Keep it together, Johan Franzen's face! We got a game to win!
  • Eddie Olczyk, for confusing "NBC" with "CSN." In his defense, B is a tricky letter.

And maybe I was a bit sensitive over this but it was almost at some points an anti-Nicklas Lidstrom for the Norris Trophy afternoon. I've never in my life heard people nit pick Nick's game like I heard Pierre, Smellbury and Olsuck do today.

Now I'm starting to feel a little glad I missed this one.

Another funny thing if the Hawks don't make the playoffs, wasn't the idea of using regulation wins to decide the playoffs Holland's idea?

I think the idea came from Blue Jackets GM Howson.
Because that's exactly what will keep the Hawks out, in spite of having more total wins than Dallas, even if the Stars win today.
It's actually regulation wins + OT wins that matter. So shootout don't count in this statistic, OT wins do. If Wild wins in regulation or OT they'll both have the same amount (38) of ROW.

As they both have the same amount of points, wins and ROW the next thing that is looked at is the amount of points earned between these two clubs. And that's why Wild will go to the playoffs with a win, because they have 8 points while Chicago only have 3.

This is straight from the NHL.com standings page.

Edited by Finnish Wing