• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

don't expect many changes

link

This article says what most people on here have been saying. The nucleus is solid but the mid core (I guess you cal it that) needs some refreshing. Guys like Hudler, Filppula and the defense need to get a shake up. This article sounds to me like he plans on making a few changes but nothing too major which is exactly what the wings need.

They need a scoring winger and a revamp on defense. Adding one of SOB, Erskine or Montador as our Salei replacement is a start

4 million for a guy who makes Flipper look like a scoring phenom, I think his dream is actually a really bad acid trip.

Agreed. I like Zeus, but he's not the type of player the Wings need the most.

He's got good size, but is 34, isn't particularly fast and is mostly a good defensive forward who will maybe get you 30-40 points. Tenacious puck pursuer. Good on the PK. He's kind of like a bigger, older Flip.

It all fits, it must be possible. ;)

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Alexander Frolov ($2.800m)

Milan Lucic ($4.083m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.650m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Drew Miller ($0.650m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Shea Weber ($8.000m)

Erik Johnson ($2.600m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,349,166; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $50,834

If you think Nashville will let Weber go you're nuts. And the Islanders have Nabokov tied up for another year.

Guest Heaten

don't expect many changes

link

Can't argue with that. This team has wen't to the WQF back-to-back and could easily advanced to the WCF had Zetterberg been game-ready and healthy to start the Shark series and had Cleary and Bertuzzi didn't get injured. Only tiny changes need to be made. Salei out, Draper gets pay decrease, Modano gone/replaced.

Helm, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Kronwall, Hudler all got another years worth of PO experience. If this team stays healthy, they'll make the WCF next year. No doubt in my mind.

Can't argue with that. This team has wen't to the WQF back-to-back and could easily advanced to the WCF had Zetterberg been game-ready and healthy to start the Shark series and had Cleary and Bertuzzi didn't get injured. Only tiny changes need to be made. Salei out, Draper gets pay decrease, Modano gone/replaced.

Helm, Abdelkader, Ericsson, Kronwall, Hudler all got another years worth of PO experience. If this team stays healthy, they'll make the WCF next year. No doubt in my mind.

I read it more that the core will stay as is, but that doesn't preclude that an addition will be made.

i dont reallly understand all the hate for rafalski on these boards. this is a horrible comparison by me and im not gunna claim for one second hes any better then lids but during the regular season he had a slightly better (almost identical) point per game average and he was a plus 11 ... he cant be that bad[/font]

I am thinking Ed Jovanovski could be a possible addition to the defense if we dont have enough room to add an Erhoff or Bieksa. Would be a nice stay at home defender for the second pair. He will certainly be getting a contract at a far lower price than his previous one. He's from Windsor so he could have been a Wings fan growing up.

Guest Heaten

I read it more that the core will stay as is, but that doesn't preclude that an addition will be made.

Salei gone, Kindl in and Mursak in. Holland may opt to save Salary cap space for trade deadline next season.

How bad are Bertuzzi's and Cleary's concussions. That might be a factor as well.

Salei gone, Kindl in and Mursak in. Holland may opt to save Salary cap space for trade deadline next season.

How bad are Bertuzzi's and Cleary's concussions. That might be a factor as well.

I hope he adds a second liner, because as it stands this team has no scoring depth.

need to draft a right handed center. just saying. some late first round possibilities: Mark McNeill (not likely gonna go late), Mark Scheifele, Zack Phillips. The other higher options that we won't be able to get are: Mika Zibanejad, Ryan Strome.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they are all righties.

there arent a whole lot of viable options out there for right handed centers unless we want an old guy or a small low end ufa. We won't likely be disbanding any core to get one either. I'd use Hudler as a part of a deal to get Hanzal (left handed center) just because of the size and youth he brings not to mention he can score.

Don't re-sign Draper, or Osgood and definately not Modano. Trade Hudler for a 5th round pick in 2025.

Still think we need a 4th line Asham/Prust style banger. Easier said than aquired though. I'd trade Hudler for one. Straight up.

Mursak will be on the roster. There's no question in my mind. There is a huge difference between where he is at and where Ritola was at and there is no way Holland let's another prospect walk. Modano is gone for sure. He will retire and even by some weird turn of events and he ends up playing there's just no way he is brought back into the mix here. He didn't mesh into the line up and the guy just doesnt have anything left in the tank. So there's your roster spot for Mursak.

The only way the Wings add a different look up front for another forward is if there is a suitable upgrade to be had over Miller or Draper. That is if Draper retires or there's a deal that just has to be done. I'd imagine we'll be seeing something like that includes a dream addition of a someone like Kevin Bieksa (which probably couldn't happen) but the point is they could upgrade a forward spot or a defensemen spot:

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR (pretty conservative salaries)

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.850m)

Kris Draper ($0.750m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.000m)

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($1.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood($0.570m)

SALARY CAP: $62,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,778,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $221,288

Ericsson already turned down $2 mill/year supposedly. i think he's gone as a FA.

Well, if I were Holland, I would make some changes for sure....

Trade Hudler, let Draper, Osgood, Salei, Modano (sorry it didn't work Mike) go, retire, whichever. Re-sign Lidstrom, Ericsson (give him a chance as long as it's CHEAP!)

Sign Wisniewski for 3 years, re-sign Eaves & Miller. Mursak has to make the club or clear waivers. Let Smith and Kindl battle for the last D-Man spot, if Smith wins, trade Kindl. Trade Janik or risk losing him on waivers, he can't be sent down anymore. If I could acquire a sniper, then I would sacrifice Miller exposing him to waivers for his roster spot. Acquire Nabokov with any of the people I would trade. Maybe package Hudler/Kindl & Janik for Nabokov & another player or draft pick. That would leave me:

XXXXX - Datsyuk - Filppula

Bertuzzi - Zetterberg - Franzen

Cleary - Helm - Eaves

Miller - Abdelkader - Holmstrom

Mursak

Lidstrom - Rafalski

Stuart - Kronwall

Wisniewski - Ericsson

Smith

Howard

Nabokov

The XXXXX is unknown, maybe getting a High end UFA or via trade... Looking at that, even trading for a Sniper I wouldn't have to expose Miller, but if I am trading let's say Kindl for Nabokov, I don't think Hudler/Janik are gonna get me a 40-50 goal scorer, unless I sweeten the pot a bit. I'd like to see Filppula a whole year with Datsyuk, so I am hesitant to trade him, but if it gets me my sniper, then I would do it. My team HAS to be better defensively and in the goal scoring department next year. In the Draft, I go with size and strength, no more small skilled soft forwards and defensman.

Funny to see some names bounced around here, Tanguay, Malhotra. We could've had both of these guys two years ago, Malhotra's agent actually called Holland and said that Manny wants to be a Red Wing (the year he played one season with San Jose for $1.5m) and Holland said no thanks, he doesn't fit our mold, then signed Jason Williams for the same $1.5M. Thats when I question Holland's thought process, but oh well. Tanguay could be a nice fit, I don't know if he would be the pure sniper I am looking for, but he can score, is only 31 and wouldn't hit my Cap hard. Another option could be Erik Cole. I would go after Tanguay first, considering his salary, and the projected cap increase, I should be able to entice him here for around $2M for 2 years. If I exposed Miller, then I could try for Cole as well 2 yrs @ $3.3M each, I have enough Cap space left over (even after giving Lidstrom $6M) I upped the cap only by $4M, I know the rumors are between 5-6 million, it may not even go up $1M, but I am hoping. Lets see what that gives me:

FORWARDS

Alex Tanguay ($2.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.954m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Erik Cole ($3.300m)

Patrick Eaves ($0.750m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

/ Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($1.200m) / James Wisniewski ($3.000m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Evgeni Nabokov ($0.570m)

SALARY CAP: $64,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,295,378; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,104,622

You see this still leaves me $3.1M in space for injuries or if I need trade deadline help. That's assuming the Cap increases... If I were Holland, I would do something like this, but the REAL Holland will probably remain staus quo and offer Draper and Osgood and Salei contracts... Besides we all know, Franzen/Bertuzzi/Cleary being healthy will be our UFA signings... :violin:

edit: I just read in the post prior to mine that Ericsson supposdedly turned down $2M a year? REALLY? Adios! I am not giving him more than $1.2M until he earns it. I guess I sign him then trade him to the Isle for Nabokov and keep Kindl for the 6th spot...oh well, damn these players that think they are worth more than the good of the team... Oh Well, that just leaves me more Cap space...

Edited by LeftWinger

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Ville Leino ($1.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.937m) / Martin Hanzal ($1.800m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.900m)

Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Jan Mursak ($0.550m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Christian Ehrhoff ($3.500m) / Anton Babchuk ($1.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Josh Harding ($1.000m)

SALARY CAP: $62,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,683,711; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,716,289

I think this solves a lot of our problems. I will address each of them separately. There is an extra 1.7 mil left for wiggle room as I took the liberty of increasing the cap by 3 mil for next season so if you don’t think the salaries are enough for the UFAs then there is money to spread around.

1. We need more size.

First off, by trading Hudler, Emmerton, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Hanzal we get a center who is 6 5” and can score and replace a small salary-sucking player. Bring in Ehrhoff and Babchuk as UFAs who are 6 2” and 6 5” respectively to make up for letting Ericsson and Salei go and these guys can bring some physicality that the latter could not.

2. Need to get younger.

We need young guys that are hungry for a cup. Ehrhoff (28), Babchuk (27), Leino (27), Hanzal (24) would be a great shot of youth into the lineup and these guys aren’t so young that we risk inexperience. We are also left with 6 forwards that can play center. That defense that is left (minus Lidstrom) is fairly young and could be solid for many years if a decent replacement for Lidstrom is available next offseason (Weber).

3. Solid D and Goaltending all around.

Our D would be solid for next year as seen. Kindl is also a very capable 7th Dman. I really don’t think that Smith is ready to play on the big team next year. When he is, it would be easy enough to make room by offloading Babchuk. Harding is the kind of backup goalie that is capable of playing quite a few games, and at 26 he is young and still has something to prove. He won’t challenge Howard for the starting spot but will be a solid enough backup that we can be confident giving Howard a rest regularly so that he isn’t overworked come playoff time.

Note: The only thing that is not covered here is a Right-handed center. There really isn’t much available (nothing in UFAs) that is worth going after. We don’t have much trade bait either to go after an RFA. I think we have to wait until Sheahan and Jarnkrok are ready in a couple years. I wouldn’t disband any core players to land one. Kyle Wellwood is a pretty cheap option but I just don’t think he is a viable solution as his right-handedness isn’t enough of a reason to insert him into our lineup.

I really think Leino can play on this team now. He has gained his confidence back and is proven ready to play on the top lines. He wasn’t as bad defensively as people made him out to be either. As a UFA he can be grabbed up for a lowish price for a 1-year contract to see if he’s the real deal and if he is I see us signing him to a 3 year deal next offseason.

The next offseason Patrick Sharp becomes a free agent and I’d love to get him on our team. With Bertuzzi and Homer gone it will be very possible as long as Chicago doesn’t resign him first. This year snipers aren't available so I think we just go with what we got.

I think this solves a lot of our problems. I will address each of them separately. There is an extra 1.7 mil left for wiggle room as I took the liberty of increasing the cap by 3 mil for next season so if you don’t think the salaries are enough for the UFAs then there is money to spread around.

1. We need more size.

First off, by trading Hudler, Emmerton, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Hanzal we get a center who is 6 5” and can score and replace a small salary-sucking player. Bring in Ehrhoff and Babchuk as UFAs who are 6 2” and 6 5” respectively to make up for letting Ericsson and Salei go and these guys can bring some physicality that the latter could not.

2. Need to get younger.

We need young guys that are hungry for a cup. Ehrhoff (28), Babchuk (27), Leino (27), Hanzal (24) would be a great shot of youth into the lineup and these guys aren’t so young that we risk inexperience. We are also left with 6 forwards that can play center. That defense that is left (minus Lidstrom) is fairly young and could be solid for many years if a decent replacement for Lidstrom is available next offseason (Weber).

3. Solid D and Goaltending all around.

Our D would be solid for next year as seen. Kindl is also a very capable 7th Dman. I really don’t think that Smith is ready to play on the big team next year. When he is, it would be easy enough to make room by offloading Babchuk. Harding is the kind of backup goalie that is capable of playing quite a few games, and at 26 he is young and still has something to prove. He won’t challenge Howard for the starting spot but will be a solid enough backup that we can be confident giving Howard a rest regularly so that he isn’t overworked come playoff time.

Phoenix cannot pay their payroll now, the City just had to cover what they team couldn't pay, so I cannot see them trading $1.8M for $2.8M PLUS $533,333 for an under-acheiving over-paid Hudler adn a player who hasn't proven he could take the next step...

Vancouver may win the Cup this season and will undoubtedly try to retain one of their better D-Men... If we're keeping Smith down (which will benefit him) and letting Ericsson/Salei walk, I could see Babchuk and Wisniewski fitting fine as number 5 & 6...

I really think Holland has Nabokov up his sleeve and will acquire him after the Isle's force his year long contract on him...

I would like Hanzal, but he'll get more then that. Same with Erhoff...think he'll get 4+.

Hanzal would be signed at his current pay rate with Pho, as he has another year left on his contract before he is an RFA. so we'd get him for one year at that 1.8mil and then we'd give him a raise next season if things work out. I agree, Ehrhoff should be closer to 4mil

I would like Hanzal, but he'll get more then that. Same with Erhoff...think he'll get 4+.

That is HanZal's salary through next season, that would be great if we could acquire him, but I don't think Phoenix wants to dump one of their best players for $3.4M in Hudler and Emmerton. I think Hudler may get us a draft pick, but not a player of Hazal's talent....

James Wisniewski ($3.000m)

I would love to have him on the Wings, but no way it happens at this price. He made 3.25m this year and was 5th in the league in points for d-men, he's going to be getting a pretty big raise this off-season. Same with Ehrhoff, love to have him on the team, but 3.5m won't bring him here.

That is HanZal's salary through next season, that would be great if we could acquire him, but I don't think Phoenix wants to dump one of their best players for $3.4M in Hudler and Emmerton. I think Hudler may get us a draft pick, but not a player of Hazal's talent....

Thats why I included a draft pick in there too. I said Hudler, emmerton, 2nd. hell id give up a first for hanzal.

alot of ppl on here are wanting wisniewski..yes he had a great offensive season and was a plus player. but he is far from a solid defensive defencman and thats what i feel the wings need the most..and hes gonna be looking to get a raise...i would love to see bieksa but i know its highly unlikely goona happen...watching tampa this post season im liking the play off both sean bergenheim and eric brewer(been a stud defensivly and shot blocking machine) both are ufa's at seasons end....also i feel ozzie needs to hang up the skates and 2 possible backup options could be garon from columbus and even theodore..both are currently making 1million and are BACKUPS that can win some games for us next year...i say keep eaves and miller and let ericson walk

Wings need to get tougher on D. Adding Brewer and Wisniewski would have helped in the Sharks Series.

Also NHL Numbers has Franzen at $5,500,000 which makes more sense with the long term deal. CapGeek has him at $3,954,545.