• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Berry

Changes in the offseason

Rate this topic

OK This would be my dream scenario if the Cap is 62.2mill

changes would be to trade Flip to WAS for Green....

Trade Huds to NYI for Nabokov

Let "E" and Salei walk

Sign Laich,Sturm, Ehrhoff, and Wis.

I understand alot of money wrapped up in Defense believe me I know I did Say DREAM Scenario

Trading Hudler for Nabokov is stupid, let's get that out of the way. We would be trading a top-six forward in his 20s who is simply held down by the depth of the Wings' system for a good backup. And then you replace Hudler with Sturm, who isn't even as good. How about just signing Brian Boucher? Then, EVERYONE involved is younger on the Wings. You've also replaced Filppula with Laich, which isn't going to happen.

And your additions on defense are not thought out well. By adding Wisniewski and Green, you've added two defensemen who are one-dimensional offensive players. And then you've placed them on the same pairing; hello goals against. Green also isn't a free agent until after next season, and he is an RFA then. Beyond that, you've erased Jakub Kindl from the lineup to sit Brendan Smith in the press box when he could be getting top-pairing minutes in Grand Rapids. If that's supposed to be a trade, it isn't even close to happening. So let's retool here. Replace Green with Joni Pitkanen. Kindl is the 7th, not Smith.

As for goaltending, Osgood may be coming back, so that's easy. If not, Brian Boucher. That's easy too. Both are proven vets in the regular season and playoffs. Or there are guys like Theodore, Auld, or Hedberg.

Now what do we have?

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

Miller/Emmerton

Lidstrom/Wisniewski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ehrhoff/Pitkanen

Kindl

Howard

Osgood (Boucher)

That roster is a bit better, don't you think?

Edited by eva unit zero

No offense, but I wouldn't pay any of these guys these contracts. Richards is pass first and left-handed shot and we need the 2 other things. Shoot first right-handed shot. I don't understand how Scott Hannan is a damn near 5 million dollar defenseman and can't see Kenny giving him a fat deal such as this, it's just unjustifiable. Jovo is on the downspin of his career and would bring nothing we would need to the blue line whatsoever. He looked absolutely awful in the playoffs and got torched more often than not. I'd even go far enough to say I want Ericsson more than him at this point dry.gif Giggy, just never liked him and also see 1 mill being a bit too cheap for him. Just my thoughts.

Believe me, I'd like to see a good right handed shot in a Wings uniform, but I don't see how that would happen. Richards does shoot the puck quite a bit though. Almost 300 shots every year. Franzen, who is shoot first, has about the same or less shots per game. Hannan is already making $4.5 mil. The prices for defenseman go up every year, which is why I was glad Holland got Stuart at $3.75 when he did. I think a slight increase for Hannan is reasonable and helping our PK is definitely a need. Not a Jovo fan either, but he's from Windsor, is friends with Bertuzzi and I think he'd be above average as a 4-6 d-man.

Believe me, I'd like to see a good right handed shot in a Wings uniform, but I don't see how that would happen. Richards does shoot the puck quite a bit though. Almost 300 shots every year. Franzen, who is shoot first, has about the same or less shots per game. Hannan is already making $4.5 mil. The prices for defenseman go up every year, which is why I was glad Holland got Stuart at $3.75 when he did. I think a slight increase for Hannan is reasonable and helping our PK is definitely a need. Not a Jovo fan either, but he's from Windsor, is friends with Bertuzzi and I think he'd be above average as a 4-6 d-man.

Just toooo many changes and not the necessary ones really. The link with Bert is cute and all but that is not worth shelling out 3+ mill to bring him in when that can go to a much younger Bieksa. Richards wouldn't be a bad thing at all, just not the type of player I would like here. I actually want Brooks Laich but realize we would need to throw him a lot as well. I know what Hannan gets paid by the Caps but would not see Kenny giving him an increase as he doesn't jump out that much to me. We have to spend what we have here wisely and maybe prepare to see the big splash happen come next off season and try to nab a Suter. We shall see.

This article says what most people on here have been saying. The nucleus is solid but the mid core (I guess you cal it that) needs some refreshing. Guys like Hudler, Filppula and the defense need to get a shake up. This article sounds to me like he plans on making a few changes but nothing too major which is exactly what the wings need.

They need a scoring winger and a revamp on defense. Adding one of SOB, Erskine or Montador as our Salei replacement is a start

I personally think our offense is fine, but the D is where the focus needs to be, especially now with Raffi gone - My perfect off season will include signing Bieksa and Montador...

Lidstrom-Bieksa

Kronwall-Stuart

Kindl-Montador

Janik

great blend of puck movers and defensive minded guys on the back end... with the story coming out that E turned down 2+ a year, I'm fine with letting him walk...

Prices for defensemen don't go up every year. Teams do overpay for players in a lot of cases but the market dictates their prices just as often. This summer, based on the crop of available UFA defensemen, we may see teams overpay but that doesn't necessarily mean that Scott Hannan will be included. Although he is still a servicable defenseman his play is nowhere near the level it once was (when he signed his current contract that is set to expire). The only way he maintains his current salary, or gets a raise, is if a team becomes desperate.

Mike Green is HORRIBLE defensively. I trust Fil better to play D than him.

Just letting you all know that such a trade would make us a worse team than we were last year.

Here are my steps that I would take.

1. inquire about the cost of a trade for Bogosian in the week of trading before free agency begins.

If you can make a trade using Hudler, Emmerton, and the rights to Ericsson and no other players but whatever picks... Do it. Success chance 10%

2. Failing that you feel out whatever offers there is for Hudler, but do not rush to make a deal.

3. Dawn of free agency you immediately offer Weber a one year offer sheet for the maximum affordable amount for us. If possible make it the maximum cap amount. This forces Nashville to match it and screw up their cap, ensuring that next year Suter and/or Weber will be free agents. If they refuse to match it, Weber comes here and we lose first round picks, which really don't mean that much to us anyways. Our Defense is fixed and no additional moves are necessary on the backend. Success chance 5%

4.Failing that make an offer sheet for Yandle for whatever amount you are willing to pay him. Phoenix will most likely match. Success chance 20%

5. Failing that, go after the following players in this order and do so aggressively

a. Pitkanen Success chance 30%

b. James Wisniewski or Bieksa Success chance 35%/20%

c. Andy Greene Success chance 50%

Make sure you get one of the first three and Andy Greene (provided Ericsson is gone)

Andy Greene is a poor mans Rafalski but without the right handed shot. I think he might be one of the most underrated signings of this offseason.

Also I would be willing to sign all four, if an additional move would be made following those signings.

The idea there would be to have a more deep puck moving core, similar to what Pit did this past season. Less top heavy. Stuart would have to be moved subsequently to make it cap friendly.

6. add one value forward if needed.

7. Get a backup goaltender, I would be fine with Osgood or Larsson myself.

The only problem I see is that if Weber does sign an offer sheet with us Nashville has 7 days to match it. Most of the big name defencemen will be gone by then.

Trading Hudler for Nabokov is stupid, let's get that out of the way. We would be trading a top-six forward in his 20s who is simply held down by the depth of the Wings' system for a good backup. And then you replace Hudler with Sturm, who isn't even as good. How about just signing Brian Boucher? Then, EVERYONE involved is younger on the Wings. You've also replaced Filppula with Laich, which isn't going to happen.

And your additions on defense are not thought out well. By adding Wisniewski and Green, you've added two defensemen who are one-dimensional offensive players. And then you've placed them on the same pairing; hello goals against. Green also isn't a free agent until after next season, and he is an RFA then. Beyond that, you've erased Jakub Kindl from the lineup to sit Brendan Smith in the press box when he could be getting top-pairing minutes in Grand Rapids. If that's supposed to be a trade, it isn't even close to happening. So let's retool here. Replace Green with Joni Pitkanen. Kindl is the 7th, not Smith.

As for goaltending, Osgood may be coming back, so that's easy. If not, Brian Boucher. That's easy too. Both are proven vets in the regular season and playoffs. Or there are guys like Theodore, Auld, or Hedberg.

Now what do we have?

Hudler/Zetterberg/Cleary

Filppula/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Franzen/Abdelkader/Bertuzzi

Mursak/Helm/Eaves

Miller/Emmerton

Lidstrom/Wisniewski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ehrhoff/Pitkanen

Kindl

Howard

Osgood (Boucher)

That roster is a bit better, don't you think?

No. Hudler on a top line! Less chance of happening then My "Dream" scenario.

Most of your points I see.... But Hudler was given many chances to be involved and could not pick up the ball.......BUH BYE! Our "Depth" as you put it played better than Hudler... He made his own bed.....and he s*** in it!

Flip has value right now and we need to trade SOMEONE to replace Rafalski because the UFA market is gonna get gobbled up the way Kenny plays the waiting game.

and I was not intending Smith to sit here! or Kindl. they are always call up options. I was just showing that with depth in the line up we still had cap space if tweaking was needed at the deadline.

I am not saying that I replaced this player or had them on the same line or same pairings.... those were names on a roster. nothing more. and why would you not want Sturm or Laich? depth guys would probably really do well here playing with Helm or Dats even!

with the looming and pending retirement of Nick, (when ever it happends) we will need to have a guy who has played here to at least make a case for #1. Kronwall is good, but not a #1. with the UFA crop sucking ass and Kenny and his reluctance to be apart of day one of the UFA day..... a trade is gonna happen.

I am not saying my scenario is the way! Hell I thought it was just a "What If" thread... nobody gave me the key to JLA!

The only problem I see is that if Weber does sign an offer sheet with us Nashville has 7 days to match it. Most of the big name defencemen will be gone by then.

You don't assume he is coming. Keep signing people as if he isn't, and remember that Stuart is off the books next year and his NTC is gone. You trade him if you end up over on Dman.

Interesting possibilities in trading with Philly...

It is possible that Richards or Carter could be moved this summer out of philly...

I know it wouldn't fix the defensive problems, but perhaps I would make a run at Richards or Carter. Both are ideal fits for our team. I believe Carter has more upside and his right handed shot helps.

Both are two-way players that could contribute to the team and help us improve our top lines, which I believe are worse then our overall offense due to incredible depth. I propose using up some of that depth to improve.

Any thoughts on what it would take to get Jeff Carter?

I am wondering if they would take Hudler, Bertuzzi, and draft picks. Bertuzzi and Hudler are Flyers type of players, and taking both of them would help their cap situation now and later. Plus it would be trading two potential 20 goal scorers for one 30 goal scorer, which is good imo. It would also allow us to keep Draper, Miller, and Eaves for another year and still bring in Mursak and Emmerton while improving. Plus it would keep Zetter and Pav together forever, maybe even freeing up Filpulla for top line duty, or a trade for a dman...

It also would help take some of the sting out of losing Raffy on the back end offensively. We could still sign one or two defensemen.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR Usually hate doing these, but just a thought. The extra space would most likely be used up going to one of the new contracts to bump it up.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.954m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Jan Mursak ($0.550m) / Darren Helm ($0.912m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.750m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.787m) / Drew Miller ($1.000m)

Kris Draper ($0.850m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($5.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.750m)

Andy Greene ($1.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Brendan Smith ($0.875m) / Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($2.250m) / Chris Osgood ($0.850m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,689,771; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,810,229

i like the idea of nabbing carter, but I just don't think that philly would let him go. he just signed that big contract last season I believe and I can see them letting other players go first. They probably won't resign leino, zherdev, o'donnell and maybe get picks for zherdev from someone. That will give them some wiggle room if they bring a couple cheap guys in.

i like the idea of nabbing carter, but I just don't think that philly would let him go. he just signed that big contract last season I believe and I can see them letting other players go first. They probably won't resign leino, zherdev, o'donnell and maybe get picks for zherdev from someone. That will give them some wiggle room if they bring a couple cheap guys in.

Obviously Philly needs to upgrade their goaltending this summer. Leighton and Bobrovsky are signed so Boucher is gone. They already have $58.97M comitted to next year's cap. So even if the cap rises by approximately $3M they'll only have about $3.5M in space. They currently have 18 players signed.

Zherdev is gone for sure. They definitely want to keep Leino some how. Right now the Flyers have D-Corps looks like this:

Kimmo Timmonen 2 years remaining $6,333,333/yr

Chris Pronger 6 years remaining $4,921,429/yr

Andrej Meszaros 3 years remaining $4,000,000/yr

Matt Carle 1 year $3,437,500/yr

Braydon Coburn 1 year $3,200,000/yr

That's just too many defensemen making that kind of money. Jeff Carter's new, $5.275M/yr, contract just kicks in next year. He will not be traded. Mike Richards, their captain, will not be traded. What makes the most sense for Philly to free up some cash is to re-sign O'Donnell, after the year he had, since he can be signed for cheap (he made just $1.2M last year) and move any of Meszaros, Carle or Coburn. Based on how they feel about those players you'd imagine the most likely candidate would be Matt Carle.

Maybe the Flyers could be trading partners for the Wings.

Obviously Philly needs to upgrade their goaltending this summer. Leighton and Bobrovsky are signed so Boucher is gone. They already have $58.97M comitted to next year's cap. So even if the cap rises by approximately $3M they'll only have about $3.5M in space. They currently have 18 players signed.

Zherdev is gone for sure. They definitely want to keep Leino some how. Right now the Flyers have D-Corps looks like this:

Kimmo Timmonen 2 years remaining $6,333,333/yr

Chris Pronger 6 years remaining $4,921,429/yr

Andrej Meszaros 3 years remaining $4,000,000/yr

Matt Carle 1 year $3,437,500/yr

Braydon Coburn 1 year $3,200,000/yr

That's just too many defensemen making that kind of money. Jeff Carter's new, $5.275M/yr, contract just kicks in next year. He will not be traded. Mike Richards, their captain, will not be traded. What makes the most sense for Philly to free up some cash is to re-sign O'Donnell, after the year he had, since he can be signed for cheap (he made just $1.2M last year) and move any of Meszaros, Carle or Coburn. Based on how they feel about those players you'd imagine the most likely candidate would be Matt Carle.

Maybe the Flyers could be trading partners for the Wings.

I wouldn't mind O'Donnell on the Wings if the Flyers end up not re-signing him. He's getting long in the tooth but still seems like a good 5/6th Dman. He had a great impact on Doughty as his partner in LA. Maybe he could help out with Kindl or Ericsson on the bottom pair.

And I still can't believe the Flyers signed Pronger for that long, especially considering he was 35 when they made the deal. I just don't know if he's got 6 more years of hockey left in him. Enjoy that cap hit!

Edited by haroldsnepsts

What an offseason, but to be honest Holland has had it pretty easy the past couple years compared a lot of other GMs around the horn. Not this time, holy moly so it looks like we are shaping up like this (capgeek.com)...

Franzen-Dats-Holmer

? -Hank-Bertuzzi

?-Flip-Hudler

?-Helm-Abby

Lids(assuming)-Stuart

Kronner-Kindl

?-?

?-?

Howard

?

............Wow is an under statement here guys and girls, and yes Eaves, Miller, Drapes and Ozzy mite be back to fill voids, though Im not convinced yet thats the way to go. The only one I really want on that list is Eaves. We dont need Miller or Drapes, we need Mursak this kid is gold, reminds me so much of Helm which is great because Helm is becoming one of my favorites. But with Drapes and Miller it comes us the same player X4. Kindl should be up full time and I think he'll develop into a solid D man for us. The rest I say we fill with ufa/rfa/the trading of Flip and Hudler. We need to score more goals this year then every so we must load up on our top six. I dont know how, but I do know things are getting shaken up this year, good luck Holland!thumbup.gif

Carle for Hudler and a pick. I've said this before, but I shall state it yet once again. That's a good deal for us.

I know that would be the popular choice around here but there are three problems I would see with this trade proposal:

1. Hudler's value is low right now so I don't see Holland moving him right now unless the deal would be overwhelming that he couldn't turn it down (meaning he'd be getting what the value he would think would be Hudler's ceiling)

2. Philly is looking for Cap relief for a goaltender, so I doubt they're looking for salary to come back. They want money for a goaltender or to re-sign Leino. They'll want picks/prospects or whatever; not another forward. I'm sure they'd rather the $2.85M Hudler is making to go towards Leino.

3. I really don't know that Philly would think that is fair market value for Carle.

What an offseason, but to be honest Holland has had it pretty easy the past couple years compared a lot of other GMs around the horn. Not this time, holy moly so it looks like we are shaping up like this (capgeek.com)...

Franzen-Dats-Holmer

? -Hank-Bertuzzi

?-Flip-Hudler

?-Helm-Abby

Lids(assuming)-Stuart

Kronner-Kindl

?-?

?-?

Howard

?

............Wow is an under statement here guys and girls, and yes Eaves, Miller, Drapes and Ozzy mite be back to fill voids, though Im not convinced yet thats the way to go. The only one I really want on that list is Eaves. We dont need Miller or Drapes, we need Mursak this kid is gold, reminds me so much of Helm which is great because Helm is becoming one of my favorites. But with Drapes and Miller it comes us the same player X4. Kindl should be up full time and I think he'll develop into a solid D man for us. The rest I say we fill with ufa/rfa/the trading of Flip and Hudler. We need to score more goals this year then every so we must load up on our top six. I dont know how, but I do know things are getting shaken up this year, good luck Holland!thumbup.gif

Cleary will be slotted into line 2 as he is signed. Mursak will 100% be the 13th forward and be in a bunch of games. Also, the Wings were the second highest scoring team in the league this year. If you're concerned about the loss of offence from the back end so you want to remedy that by getting an impact forward I can understand that but I don't see it happening.