• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Russian Rocket

Notable Restricted/Unrestricted Free Agents in 2011

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

If Lidstrom retires this offseason and Holland only signs a Brad Stuart-caliber defenseman, the Wings will instantly have the worst defense in the league. Unless you are talking Brad Stuart of two-three years ago and not Brad Stuart this year, in which case the Wings' defense will still be significantly worse at both ends.

The big FA signing will be backup goalie? So what happens on defense? Ericsson is almost certainly not coming back, Salei basically lost his spot to Kindl, and wasn't terribly effective, so he probably won't be back. Osgood intends to come back, so the only way Holland signs a new backup is if Osgood simply can't play due to his injury. The Wings have ten forwards signed, with perhaps two checking line forwards. Eaves, Miller, Mursak, Emmerton, and possibly Draper are vying for those last three or four forward spots, so a new forward is unlikely. Which leaves a fair amount of cap space to load up on the defense, which was the team's biggest weakness these past couple of seasons. Also, after this coming season, our entire current top four (including Lidstrom) will go UFA, so having an Ehrhoff, Pitkanen, or Bieksa locked down would be a good start on the 12-13 team as well; Rafalski almost certainly won't be on that team, probably no Lidstrom either. So having Kronwall/Ehrhoff/Pitkanen already established would be better than spending a year fumbling around with the defense.

As I said, I think Lidstrom re-signs. I think Ericsson and Holland come to a long-term agreement that works for both sides...and I find it highly unlikely Ehrhoff, Bieska and Pitkanen come here. The only guy that doesn't come back is Salei, who will be replaced by Kindl. I do think Holland picks up a solid depth 7th dman. I'm thinking Ericsson will accept a $2.25-$2.5 multi-year deal.

How much are these two going to command in salaries now? $900,000 each? Tops?

If you want to talk about guys who should/need to give a hometown discount at this point or a two-way deal these are prime examples.

Probably no more than $750k if I had to guess. Given their personalities and roles on the team, the league minimum doesn't seem unrealistic either.

What about taking a chance on Chuck Kobasew. He was solid on Boston a few years ago but took a dive with Minnesota, his lack of production means he may be able to be had on the cheap and if he can bounce back it would be a good pickup.

Carle is possible, but only if he comes in as a UFA after next season. Meszaros is the more likely trade acquisition; Stuart and a pick for Mesz would do nicely I think.

I dont understand your love for Meszaros and why you constantly want to trade Stuart for him. I have nothign against Meszaros and wouldn;t even be opposed to him being on the Wings but I wouldnt be so quick to trade Stuart for him when the D already has holes to fill.

Kaberle? Really? You want a soft defenseman without defensive skill, one whom Leafs fans didn't even like? If you dislike Rafalski, then why would you want Kaberle? The latter is far worse defensively.

Thank God someone else sees how crap Kaberle is. I live in TOronto and had to watch that piece of crap for years. He is awful (defensively). THe people on this board that constantly suggest signing him seriously need to watch him play. Did anyone not see that give away in Game 1 against Tampa? That's a typical play by him. Kaberle is soft, uninspired, he doesnt shoot the puck, and is about the farthest thing from a leader you'll find.

Thank God someone else sees how crap Kaberle is. I live in TOronto and had to watch that piece of crap for years. He is awful (defensively). THe people on this board that constantly suggest signing him seriously need to watch him play. Did anyone not see that give away in Game 1 against Tampa? That's a typical play by him. Kaberle is soft, uninspired, he doesnt shoot the puck, and is about the farthest thing from a leader you'll find.

Agreed.

Anyone who wants Kaberle is clearly not watching the Eastern Conference finals.

As I said, I think Lidstrom re-signs. I think Ericsson and Holland come to a long-term agreement that works for both sides...and I find it highly unlikely Ehrhoff, Bieska and Pitkanen come here. The only guy that doesn't come back is Salei, who will be replaced by Kindl. I do think Holland picks up a solid depth 7th dman. I'm thinking Ericsson will accept a $2.25-$2.5 multi-year deal.

Holland will have a good amount of cap space, and the D has underperformed for three seasons (McCrimmon was not fired for no reason) so I fully expect Holland to be looking at acquiring a higher end defenseman if possible, and those guys are at the top of the list for UFAs. The current top four will all be UFA at the end of 2012, which is a huge problem; Lidstrom and Rafalski will retire at that point, Stuart may not come back, and Kronwall will require a serious raise if he doesn't bolt. One, possibly two could be acquired. All three are under-30 and would be locked up for a few years at a decent contract.

But Holland won't just be looking at defense. He'll be looking at forwards also. Some under-30 forwards who should end up at $3m or less are Brooks Laich (popular choice here), Jussi Jokinen, Scottie Upshall. Abdelkader/Helm/Upshall? Sounds good to me. Or there's everyone's favorite former Red Wing; Tomas Kopecky. Jokinen's the only one who doesn't bring a physical game, and he instead is another speedy, highly skilled defensive forward with good puck skills.

Finally, if Holland pays Ericsson $2.5m per year, Ericsson better take Stuart's job, and Stuart better be traded for a solid grinding forward and the kind of defenseman Salei USED to be.

I dont understand your love for Meszaros and why you constantly want to trade Stuart for him. I have nothign against Meszaros and wouldn;t even be opposed to him being on the Wings but I wouldnt be so quick to trade Stuart for him when the D already has holes to fill.

Stuart is, at best, equal with Meszaros. Meszaros is seven years younger and costs about the same. Given Lids and Raf are about to retire, and we need to rebuild the D corps, I'd rather a player on the way up than a player on the way down. Stu in three years will look like Salei does now. Meszaros may be inconsistent, but he's getting better and will be a solid, stable all around defenseman in a year or two. The kind you can rely on in all situations.

How much could Brooks Laich command on the open market? With that in mind, what's a realistic guess as a cap hit number for his new contract?

He'll probably get around $3m.

Guest Heaten

Holland will have a good amount of cap space, and the D has underperformed for three seasons (McCrimmon was not fired for no reason) so I fully expect Holland to be looking at acquiring a higher end defenseman if possible, and those guys are at the top of the list for UFAs. The current top four will all be UFA at the end of 2012, which is a huge problem; Lidstrom and Rafalski will retire at that point, Stuart may not come back, and Kronwall will require a serious raise if he doesn't bolt. One, possibly two could be acquired. All three are under-30 and would be locked up for a few years at a decent contract.

But Holland won't just be looking at defense. He'll be looking at forwards also. Some under-30 forwards who should end up at $3m or less are Brooks Laich (popular choice here), Jussi Jokinen, Scottie Upshall. Abdelkader/Helm/Upshall? Sounds good to me. Or there's everyone's favorite former Red Wing; Tomas Kopecky. Jokinen's the only one who doesn't bring a physical game, and he instead is another speedy, highly skilled defensive forward with good puck skills.

Finally, if Holland pays Ericsson $2.5m per year, Ericsson better take Stuart's job, and Stuart better be traded for a solid grinding forward and the kind of defenseman Salei USED to be.

Stuart is, at best, equal with Meszaros. Meszaros is seven years younger and costs about the same. Given Lids and Raf are about to retire, and we need to rebuild the D corps, I'd rather a player on the way up than a player on the way down. Stu in three years will look like Salei does now. Meszaros may be inconsistent, but he's getting better and will be a solid, stable all around defenseman in a year or two. The kind you can rely on in all situations.

He'll probably get around $3m.

Brooks Laich will get serious over payment this offseason. Holland doesn't chase players to overpay them. You seriously want to trade Stuart if Ericsson re-signs for almost $1.5 million less than Stuart, because you think Ericsson should play like a $4 million dollar defensemen? I fail to see your logic.

You say Wings' defense has underachieved while still being in the middle of the pack, despite have sophomore goalie woes, injury plagued season, and a third string backup goalie. This team, as is, is a serious cup contender. I think it'd be in Holland's best interest to save cap space and get in on the trade deadline frenzy. Trade deadline is when the best deals are had in the salary cap world. Save the cap space and improve the team later if needed.

Holland's weakness has been spending to cap every year. Two words: Trade.Deadline

Brooks Laich will get serious over payment this offseason. Holland doesn't chase players to overpay them. You seriously want to trade Stuart if Ericsson re-signs for almost $1.5 million less than Stuart, because you think Ericsson should play like a $4 million dollar defensemen? I fail to see your logic.

You say Wings' defense has underachieved while still being in the middle of the pack, despite have sophomore goalie woes, injury plagued season, and a third string backup goalie. This team, as is, is a serious cup contender. I think it'd be in Holland's best interest to save cap space and get in on the trade deadline frenzy. Trade deadline is when the best deals are had in the salary cap world. Save the cap space and improve the team later if needed.

Holland's weakness has been spending to cap every year. Two words: Trade.Deadline

I prefer spending to the cap -

Gives the players all year to mesh and for coaches to try out lines

Do not lose assets for a "rental"

Trade deadline targets are so hit or miss, who knows what will be available and how high demand might be

Isn't Eric Brewer a UFA?

I didn't see him on the list.

Yeah, I'd take him in a second. Again, fills that need for the Wings. Big defenseman who actually uses his frame, so not to bring this up but someone not like Ericsson :lol:

Hejduk is neither restricted nor unrestricted.

He is also not a defenseman, which is where this thread has gone in the last few posts.

Maybe you're suggesting we trade our Czech for theirs?

...just trying to help. :cool:

obv theyre unrealistic. theyre just players i would love to see on the wings. didnt know putting a thumbs up next to a plyers name meant it was realistic and it was going to happen

I want to win the lottery...What's wrong with posting that?

weber and doughty looking better and better now that raffy is gone. cap space is surely there now.

RFA's just don't make sense - especially with a very expensive Weber and a post-concussed Doughty. Please - can we be a little more realistic? Thank you.

Rentals are so pre-cap