Notable Restricted/Unrestricted Free Agents in 2011

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 The Russian Rocket

The Russian Rocket

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

The Red Wings are going to need to pick up a few players for next season and here's some notable players that will be available this offseason. I was just wondering if you think that the Red Wings should try and make a run at any of these guys:

R=Restricted Free Agent
UN=Unrestricted Free Agent

Teemu Selanne(UN)
Michael Ryder (UN)
Nathan Gerbe ®
Rob Niedermayer (UN)
Fredrik Modin (UN)
Brendan Morrison (UN)
Alex Tanguay (UN)
Erik Cole (UN)
Jussi Jokinen (UN)
Troy Brouwer ®
Tomas Kopecky (UN)
Adam Foote (UN)
Brad Richards (UN)
Tomas Kaberle ®
Ray Emery (UN)
Blake Wheeler ®
Marty Turco ®
Peter Budaj (UN)
Milan Hejduk (UN)
Sergei Samsonov (UN)
Tomas Vokoun (UN)
Drew Doughty ®
Andrew Brunette (UN)
John Madden (UN)
Jose Theodore (UN)
Hal Gill (UN)
Roman Hamrlik (UN)
Brent Sopel (UN)
James Wisniewski (UN)
Shea Weber ®
Zack Parise ®
Kyle Okposo ®
Evgeni Nabokov (UN)
Doug Weight (UN)
Ryan Callahan ®
Brandon Dubinsky ®
Ruslan Fedotenko (UN)
Vaclav Prospal (UN)
Brian Boucher (UN)
Villie Leino (UN)
Keith Yandle ®
Ed Jovanovski (UN)
Pascal Dupuis (UN)
Alexei Kovalev (UN)
Devin Setoguchi ®
Ty Conklin (UN)
Steven Stamkos ®
Simon Gagne (UN)
Jean Sebastien Giguere (UN)
Christian Ehrhoff (UN)
Jason Arnott (UN)
Mike Knuble (UN)
Michael Nylander (UN)

#2 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:22 PM

Restricted free agents, I feel, are out of the question since Kenny believes the path to success in todays NHL is to build through the draft and thus keep draft picks (excellent job on their end to lobby the nhl to position draft positions by the result of the playoffs, not regular season).

For s***s and giggles, of those ® players, the ones I would think he would maybe consider would be:
Weber
Callahan
Setoguchi

I would love Okposo, Doughty and Parise as well.

Is Kaberle really restricted? I don't think he is, and if he isn't - I wouldn't be terribly suprised if many people here woke up shocked one morning to learn that we have signed him.

Other than that, slim pickens this year. And i'm ok with that considering next year is the year that the wings will be looking for a new identity.

But we will need to roster a few guys -

back up goalies I think have a legit chance at being here next season are conklin and boucher. I would LOVE vokoun but I think Jimmy showed enough to give Holland confidence is solidifying him as a legit starter. And we like our goalies cheap anyways.

Guys that dont belong on that list are Selanne, Knuble, Hejduk, Nabokov and Foote as they are all literally or figurtivaly off the market.

As for forwards and D, I am really at a loss this year. No names jump out at me and we are at such a weird "pre"transition phase. None of those players we want long term - but we will have to sign someone. I dunno...Hamrlik could make sense. I like Gagne but I know he is oft-injured. So ya, who else has ideas?
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#3 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:42 PM

Slim pickens indeed. Maybe we don't sign anyone and give some young guys a shot? Off that list I have interest in Richards, Weber, Parise and maybe even Callahan. All pipe dreams mind you....

#4 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

I wouldnt mind Ryder or Callahan.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:54 PM

Alex Tanguay might be the best value on the list.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:03 PM

What I would like the Red Wings to pursue:

1. Top-six scoring winger OR a solid third line center that would allow Filppula to play on Pav's wing. (Probably not Abdelkader or Helm)
2. Solid seasoned veteran bottom pairing defensive defenseman. (Not Ericsson)
3. Smart and safe puck moving defenseman for the third pair. (Probably not Ericsson or Kindl)
4. Someone to keep the flies off.
(5.) Perhaps a backup goalie other than Ozzie but I feel like Ozzie has one more redemption run in him by backup goalie standards.

EDIT: To me, that's the ideal. I realistically hope they get at least a couple of those.

Edited by Red Wings Addict, 15 May 2011 - 11:05 PM.

#7 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:09 PM

Laich, Prospal, Frolov. Any two of these three would be fine by me for forwards if Draper/ Miller/ Modano are all let go.

Hejda, Vandermeer, or Hamrlik. Any two of those three would make suitable replacements for Ericsson and Salei. Even getting one of those guys would be an upgrade over both those two.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#8 CaliWingJuan

CaliWingJuan

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:14 PM

What do u guys think r the chances of us signing weber?

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:15 PM

Konnan's avatar is pretty clear:

Posted Image

#10 Gordie Howe hat trick

Gordie Howe hat trick

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:16 PM

I would love to see Ehrhoff in a Detroit sweater.
"If a guy slashed me, I'd grab his stick, pull him up alongside me and elbow him in the head."

-Gordon "Gordie" Howe-

Overall 3 Gordie Howe hat trick 113 points
2011 playoff pick game

#11 martyrme19

martyrme19

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:43 PM

I feel like sooo many players these days are signing long term deals with their teams...it really has made FA seasons dull.

Howz about Radulov over in the K? Or Hossa.2? he's tearin it up in the K as well. I'm only half joking as I just don't see anything on the market it this year. Hell, while we're at it - how the heck is Markov doing these days? I kind of miss the guy.
Just for the record, the weather today is slightly sarcastic with a good chance of rain.

#12 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 11:54 PM

Kaberle is UFA, not RFA.

Nabokov is not a UFA; the Islanders will be tolling his contract and he agreed not to object to it in order to play in the world championships.

Adam Foote is officially retired.

Those are the only corrections I can see. As for actions, I would start by finding out Nick Lidstrom's intent; whether he wants to play. I would regardless go out and sign Joni Pitkanen, hopefully both Pitkanen and Ehrhoff (to replace Salei and Ericsson) as well as retaining Eaves and Osgood, and promoting Emmerton and Mursak.

Kevin Bieksa, Andrei Markov, Tomas Kaberle, Ian White, Grant Clitsome, Anton Babchuk are other names that come to mind.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#13 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

WHat's the story with Blake WHeeler? I haven't seen him play, only the highlight goals.

He's got great size and suppossedly great hands, why doesn't his name come up at all? WHat's his story?

#14 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

I don't expect Holland to make many changes this off season if Lidstrom re-signs. Kenny will probably go after a 'Conklin' type backup and re-sign Draper and Ericsson. I expect to see Kindl and Ericsson and a depth #7 to rotate if one of these guys flounder. Draper or Miller will be the13th man in rotation with one of Mursak/Emmerton. Eaves probably signs another 1 year deal.

Hudler and Filppula will probably anchor the 3rd line with Abdelkader on the wing. And Mursak/Helm/Emmerton(or Draper/Miller in rotation) will probably be the 4th line.

D will proabably look like this::

Kronwall/Stuart
Lidstrom/Kindl
Ericsson/Rafi

(you could switch Kindl and Ericcson).

I doubt Holland does much this off season. He might re-sign Salei (or find another cheap Lilja type guy for depth) and a cheap backup goalie. I doubt he signs any FA forwards.

#15 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:44 AM

The person below me has a better chance of getting laid while they play World of Warcraft in their Mom's basement 30 years from now.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#16 Grayne Wetzky

Grayne Wetzky

Rookie

• Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

The guy I'd really like to see the Wings get NEXT year is Matt Carle from Philidelphia. I'm big on that guy.

#17 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:30 AM

The guy I'd really like to see the Wings get NEXT year is Matt Carle from Philidelphia. I'm big on that guy.

Carle is possible, but only if he comes in as a UFA after next season. Meszaros is the more likely trade acquisition; Stuart and a pick for Mesz would do nicely I think.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#18 Autika

Autika

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

Think Kenny will call up Ville and ask if he's seen the error of his ways?

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:54 AM

Laich, Prospal, Frolov. Any two of these three would be fine by me for forwards if Draper/ Miller/ Modano are all let go.

Babcock dislikes Prospal, Frolov signed with the KHL (and totally sucks), and I think Washington is very unlikely to let Laich go; he's the sort of example-setting guy every team wants.

Carle is possible, but only if he comes in as a UFA after next season. Meszaros is the more likely trade acquisition; Stuart and a pick for Mesz would do nicely I think.

How about we trade Hudler and a pick instead?

#20 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,098 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

weber :thumbup:
gill :thumbup:
parise :thumbup:
doughty :thumbup: