• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Majsheppard

What can be done to go East?

Rate this topic

I swear to god if after the dust settles the Wings don't get to the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League I am going to turn into Homer Simpson as Angry Dad and walk over to the NHL offices and choke Bettman like he does Bart.

Well I spent my free time today tweeting, writing, and organizing. It is a real shame no one seems to want to join and actually speak up to improve the Red Wings chances. Instead you would rather complain that it isn't going to happen. I just don't see how you can't think you can influence things.

Bus Boycotts ended segregation!

Twitter took out governments!

Grassroot campaigns have affected politics!

Why do you refuse to think you can get a team to change conferences???

Well I spent my free time today tweeting, writing, and organizing. It is a real shame no one seems to want to join and actually speak up to improve the Red Wings chances. Instead you would rather complain that it isn't going to happen. I just don't see how you can't think you can influence things.

Bus Boycotts ended segregation!

Twitter took out governments!

Grassroot campaigns have affected politics!

Why do you refuse to think you can get a team to change conferences???

Ummm Brown V. Board overturned Plessy v. Ferguson.

A bunch of pissed off people took out the Egyptian government, some of them just so happened to have Twitter.

Grassroots campaigns do sometimes do something, just ask President Ralph Nader.

I refuse to believe that we can force them to move Detroit to the east for the same reasons why I believe that the bankers that screwed us all just got a slap on the wrist. Money talks and bulls*** walks. The NHL is in business to make money, and it would be more lucrative for them to keep Detroit in the West, no matter what you and your buddies on here think.

I think what the NHL is going to do is move Nashville east, then slide Minnesota into the Norris. It is just the easiest way for them to do it. Detroit is too much of a cash cow, and the NHL needs that in the Campbell when you have teams there like Phoenix, Anaheim, Edmonton and Dallas that really don't make as much as say New York, Boston, and Montreal.

Just my opinion on it.

If Phoenix gets moved some where east, it all is moot. That is one reason why they are waiting the year.

If Phoenix gets moved some where east, it all is moot. That is one reason why they are waiting the year.

And even if someone comes out west and they have to move someone they still have Columbus in addition to Nashville like I said prior to move over us. I don't think we are high on the list to go at all, we are really good, and make tons of money. So we have to stay to help out the entire Western half of the NHL.

:lol:

I hope it never happens. Eastern conference is weaker; don't want our players to pick up bad habits.

I will happily stay up late for games. Much rather do that than have to watch game after game after game of playing the Penguins.

:thumbdown:

detroit going to the east is not whats best for hockey. so i dont see it happening nor do i want it to happen. preds to southeast and wild to norris makes the most sense. i know the late starts suck, but thats life.

No kidding, I think it is because we are bringing reality to their dreams, and the two are like oil and vinegar. They just don't mix at this juncture.

Yea I think this from the link I provided says it all:

But if the Wings do get to go, this is how Stubits sees it shaking out:

You likely aren't going to send (the Wings) to the Southeast, so some shuffling will be needed. Most likely scenario would be putting the Wings in the Northeast with Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa and Buffalo, dropping Boston into the Atlantic and moving either Pittsburgh or Philadelphia to the Southeast. Surely you see the downsides in that. Bruins-Habs in separate divisions? Breaking up the Keystone State rivals? Really, there's no way that makes much sense to put the Wings in the East while keeping important battles going without just dropping them in the Southeast -- which, again, makes little sense. So it might still happen, but I'm thinking sorry Detroit, you're stuck where you are.

Edit: Moving the Wings East means way to much change in the Divisions, and makes one conference rich, the other one poor. However, I won't try and stop anyone trying to voice their opinion to Bettman.

Edited by Barrie

I haven't read this whole discussion so maybe some agree with me on this, but I doubt it. I'm one of the few people who doesn't like a move to the East. People justifiably worry about the wear and tear and travel time for the Wings during the regular season, but I think it actually serves them well in the playoffs when there's no way to avoid a gruelling schedule. For the Wings to be successful in the Western conference means they absolutely must be successful on the road, and that is exactly the same in the playoffs no matter what conference you're in. Over the last decade the Wings have been hockey's most successful organization, regular and post season, and I really feel like the fact that we MUST win on the road and DO win on the road is a huge part of that success. I think teams in the East are often unprepared for the gruel of the playoffs because they don't have much of a taste of it throughout the season. If I had a vote, I'd say Columbus to the East, Minnesota into the central division west.

I have always been screaming the West is better than the East, and we should play with the big boys. Yet many on here seem to think otherwise.

I agree with both of the last two posts, and so does the vast majority of sports writers who are all saying "west is best". You don't get ready for the playoffs against the Atlanta's, Florida's, or even Ottawa's of the league.

You most certainly do not.

Jesus Mr. Literal, the point was that it's not good to play a steady schedule of lower quality teams and then try to make a playoff run. Switch Altanta with Toronto if it will help avoid further nit picking.

Couple things

1) If you have not noticed the Vancouver games since the last round and this one have been aired a lot earlier for the east coast. 5pm PST start time today.

2) Your calling for fans of Detroit to boycot west games so they can move east. Hello those fans who could boycot are in the west why would they boycot so the team they love starts games when they are all at work still?

Edited by Nhurdi