• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Donaldjr2448

Epic Boooing of Bettman

Rate this topic

Eh, the guy is good at running stuff from a business/law perspective and the owners are very pleased with the job he's done. I won't bother knocking his job if his employers are happy with his work.

However, towards fans, he's a condescending son of a ***** and he deserves to get treated just like he treats them with his awful personality. A shame it has to happen during the cup presentation; too bad he rarely shows his face elsewhere. But for good reason. He's just got no charisma at all.

Not everyone can be the "People's Commissioner". Think it is a silly request to begin with.

Not everyone can be the "People's Commissioner". Think it is a silly request to begin with.

Of course not. The commish's primary role is a legal one.

However, public presentation and such tend to be classes in law school. Certainly he took them, and certainly, given his position, he could make an effort to work on his presentation. Alternatively, someone can be appointed as the commish's PR guy. It's understandable he's a busy dude and that speaking isn't his strong point. Not the best excuse for him to get up and act like an ass with no seeming effort to appeal to the fans. Funny how much you can get someone to agree with your stance if you present it nicely.

Of course not. The commish's primary role is a legal one.

However, public presentation and such tend to be classes in law school. Certainly he took them, and certainly, given his position, he could make an effort to work on his presentation. Alternatively, someone can be appointed as the commish's PR guy. It's understandable he's a busy dude and that speaking isn't his strong point. Not the best excuse for him to get up and act like an ass with no seeming effort to appeal to the fans. Funny how much you can get someone to agree with your stance if you present it nicely.

The guy is bad in interviews, and seems to have a nagging condition which doesn't appear to get better when he is put on the spot.

I'll agree the guy isn't a great PR commissioner, but at the same time what has he said (other than little things that may piss off a few fans) that has been a PR nightmare?

With the way people react I doubt even a guy with smooth talking could satisfy the fans of the NHL.

The guy is bad in interviews, and seems to have a nagging condition which doesn't appear to get better when he is put on the spot.

I'll agree the guy isn't a great PR commissioner, but at the same time what has he said (other than little things that may piss off a few fans) that has been a PR nightmare?

With the way people react I doubt even a guy with smooth talking could satisfy the fans of the NHL.

I disagree. The vast majority of people tend to care more about how well someone can dress up a pig than whether or not a product is a pig. Plenty of substantiated research behind that (used in sales and marketing departments the world over).

I disagree. The vast majority of people tend to care more about how well someone can dress up a pig than whether or not a product is a pig. Plenty of substantiated research behind that (used in sales and marketing departments the world over).

Does that same logic carry over to ownership?

Unless you are looking for it (I have no idea who the commissioners of the NBA, NFL, and MLB are and have rarely heard any information regarding them), do you really get a lot of exposure to the guy?

I now have no desire for bacon or Bettman.

I feel sorry for the guys receiving the trophies that he hands out. They have to hear the boos over the cheers. I'm sure they understand.

He got directly asked why he always gets boo'ed when presenting the cup on CNBC before the game.

http://video.cnbc.co...nNlYXJjaCI6IiJ9

It gets good at 2:45. However it's a pretty unsuccessful interview (by bettman) overall.

Wow! Thanks for posting that video. It's incredible how much he danced around the questions from the 2:45 mark on. Then again, what's the P.C. thing to say?

Guest Shoreline

CaliWingsNut in that video Bettman figured that people boo him because he's handed the cup off to an away team over the last few years? Lies. He knows why people boo him. It's much more wise to feign ignorance than try to directly confront why he's so hated by most fans of every NHL team.

Was at in-laws house watching this on a 60 inch on an enormous surround and it the boobirds who booed Bettman have my respect. :thumbup:

f*** Bettman.

I hate it. I realize the majority think he's done a bad job but I think this "tradition" hurts the cup presentation. It might be unpopular opinion but it just seems a little immature to me.

I couldn't agree more. That moment for the players is something they will never forget.... and it was tainted by a bunch of immature hecklers.

Why does he need to present the Cup? Make it like the Masters, have the captain of the previous winning team present it, then it's about the players and not the "league."

It would have been great to see Bobby Orr present the Cup to Boston. Heck, even rolling out Messier for Vancouver would get less boos than Bettman.

Guest stinky fish taco

the fact that the last 4 cup winners have been the away team increases the amount of boos even further, i'm sure.

Get a hooters girl (or whatever) to present it. No speech needed. The guys get to drool over the girl. The girls get to drool over the guy getting the Cup, and since the guys will be distracted by the girl they won't feel inadequate compared to a real live hockey player.

I know directly after the Pens won the cup Bettman went to go shake Illitch's hand and Illitch walked right past him and refused to shake hand. Bettman forget to congratulate the Wings on a good season (Now it is ceremonial for the commissioner to do so). But Ilitch is one of of Bettman's biggest supporters. Ilitch nominated him for President before Gil Stein was hired, and then Ilitch campaigned for Bettman to remain after the lockout.

Don't forget the 2009 All Star game.

he is a lawyer. these species can tolerate humiliation hundred times worse than those boo's when their single paycheck read six-digit number.

That's all bulls***, and your whole knowledge of lawyers has been shaped by TV and fantasy.

Most lawyers coming out of law school nowadays don't make more than $50,000 a year. Actually, most recent grads don't even have jobs. The only ones making 6 figures are those who have great connections and work 60 hours a week.

I should know all this, since I'm one myself and haven't made these six-figures you speak of. At this point, Bettman is as much a lawyer as I am a Blade Runner.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Don't forget the 2009 All Star game.

He can't be mad at Bettman for that, though, because Holland was the GM who proposed that rule a year earlier (which stated if you turn down the ASG, you still must attend in some fashion, that whole myth that they made a Crosby clause is wrong and retarded).

That's all bulls***, and your whole knowledge of lawyers has been shaped by TV and fantasy.

Most lawyers coming out of law school nowadays don't make more than $50,000 a year. Actually, most recent grads don't even have jobs. The only ones making 6 figures are those who have great connections and work 60 hours a week.

I should know all this, since I'm one myself and haven't made these six-figures you speak of. At this point, Bettman is as much a lawyer as I am a Blade Runner.

Well, Bettman is a lawyer so that makes you Rick Deckard or Roy Batty? I'm going with Batty.

He can't be mad at Bettman for that, though, because Holland was the GM who proposed that rule a year earlier (which stated if you turn down the ASG, you still must attend in some fashion, that whole myth that they made a Crosby clause is wrong and retarded).

Crosby should have been suspended under the rule. Bettman changed the ruling and called Crosby (he did not contact Datsyuk or Lidstrom) informing him of the change.

He can absolutely be blamed for that.

But because they played in Detroit's final game before the All-Star break, NHL vice president Colin Campbell is enforcing an unwritten rule that any player who declines to attend after being named to an All-Star team must miss at least one game before or after the break to prove they have legitimate injuries.
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman imposed the policy, established at last year's general managers meetings, to legitimize injury claims and improve All-Star Weekend attendance. The policy states All-Stars who are injured must have missed at least the last game before the All-Star break in order to be excused; otherwise, they must sit out the first regular-season game after the break.

So again, all the players knew the rule, and it was actually Campbell who enforced the rule. Plus, Bettman called Crosby about PR and media relation things since he is/was the face of the NHL.

So again, the rule was there from last year and all players knew the rule. Crosby missed a game prior to the ASG which exempted him from even having to attend the ASG while Lidas and Pasha both played the final game prior to the ASG.

So again, all the players knew the rule, and it was actually Campbell who enforced the rule. Plus, Bettman called Crosby about PR and media relation things since he is/was the face of the NHL.

So again, the rule was there from last year and all players knew the rule. Crosby missed a game prior to the ASG which exempted him from even having to attend the ASG while Lidas and Pasha both played the final game prior to the ASG.

That is incorrect. He played two games prior to the All Star Game.

And I don't care whether Crosby is the face of the league or not. You don't provide exceptions for certain players over others (especially when that exception allows one player to miss a suspension while the others miss out on a game because of the change). It's not like Lidstrom and Datsyuk have never been assets to the NHL before.

That is incorrect. He played two games prior to the All Star Game.

And I don't care whether Crosby is the face of the league or not. You don't provide exceptions for certain players over others (especially when that exception allows one player to miss a suspension while the others miss out on a game because of the change). It's not like Lidstrom and Datsyuk have never been assets to the NHL before.

My apologizes, I thought he did. I know King Henrik missed a game prior and that's why he never had to show up.

And for the third or fourth time, the rule created a year earlier stated if you are named to the ASG and cannot attend (unless you missed at least one game prior to the ASBreak), you must attend the ASG festivities. Call or no call, smoke signal or no smoke signal, the players knew the rules.