• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DangleDangleBeach

Red Wings / Griffins sign Exelby, Pyett

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2011/07/red_wings_sign_defensemen_garn.html

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings have signed a pair of defensemen, agreeing to one-year deals with unrestricted free-agent Garnet Exelby and their own restricted free agent, Logan Pyett.

Both are slated to play for the Grand Rapids Griffins next season.

Exelby, who turns 30 on Aug. 16, is a good-sized, scrappy defender (6-foot-1, 215 pounds) with 408 games of NHL experience with Atlanta and Toronto. He spent all of last season with the Rockford IceHogs (AHL), picking up three goals, 10 assists and 128 penalty minutes in 77 games.

He played for the Maple Leafs in 2009-10, picking up a goal, three assists and 73 penalty minutes in 51 games.

The 23-year-old Pyett (5-10, 200) has spent the past three seasons with Grand Rapids, where he's collected 21 goals, 45 assists and a minus-2 rating in 215 games.

Guest 13GoWings40

Always good to have another depth defenseman that we know can step up if need be. I would think he is now first in line ahead of janik if we need to call someone up, right?

I just had the stragest deja-vu, like this has already had a thread created for it a few time, but I don't see any on the main page, so I must be imagining things... it couldn't be that someone got a little move happy and moved the threads before they even got a chance to materialize and have a more "credible" source :P

As I said in the other threads, Exelby is a good depth pick up and will be good for GR, but I can't see him seeing any time with the Wings, unless there is a trade involving Kindl and he comes into camp and TAKES the 7th d spot, which I don't see as very likely if he couldn't even work into Chicago's roster...

Always good to have another depth defenseman that we know can step up if need be. I would think he is now first in line ahead of janik if we need to call someone up, right?

I would actually expect Janik to be ahead of him, just because he's already been a part of the organization and paid his dues, so unless Exelby comes into camp like a beast and TAKES said spot, I have to imagine that Janik would remain above him on the depth chart

It's very possible.

Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl get injured while Smith is also injured in the AHL.

Lidstrom-Stuart

Janik-White

Exelby-Commodore

:scared:

With six million likely in excess cap, odds are that if we lost all of them prior to the deadline we would make an addition via trade.

Janik - Smith

Exelby - Pyett

Amadio - Ehrhardt

(Piche)

Not the worst AHL defence going around, on paper at least...

It's unfortunate that only half of them are legit NHL prospects (and realistically only one is a guy who will play on the top two pairings in the NHL). Good thing Almqvist will be ready for AHL time soon. I'm interested to see what Jensen and Fournier can do too.

I guess why Holland went D heavy in the draft his year. :lol:

personally i see exelby filling the same role janik has the last 2 years. he has lots more nhl experience, produced in the nhl at a slightly better rate, and is even 18 months younger. so if there are injuries he is a guy that can slot in pretty easily. and to me, someone with that much nhl experience can at least fill in as a top 4 guy for a short period.

No!!! Not Amadio! :(

Amadio is a good dude. Was the Griffins representative for AHL's Man of the Year award for his efforts within the community.

Video on DRW.com of Kenny talking about their acquisitions featured this most-excellent picture of Exelby.

Screen-shot-2011-07-06-at-315.jpg