• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

Bleacher Report 50 Best Announcers/Personalities in Hockey History

Rate this topic

It is a 50 pane slideshow, so here are some highlights/low lights. I didn't mark everyone who is popular/not popular, but I highlighted those related to Red Wings and are frequently commentated on. Full list at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805880-doc-emrick-and-the-50-best-announcerstv-personalities-in-hockey-history/page/51

Pierre McGuire #50

Don Cherry #49

Ken Kal #46

Al Michaels #45

Ron MacLean #38

Jack Edwards #34

Gary Thorne/Bill Clement #28

Darren Pang #26

Sid Abel/Bruce Martyn #24

Ken Daniels #19

Mickey Redmond #13

Dave Strader #8

Doc Emerick #1

It is a 50 pane slideshow, so here are some highlights/low lights. I didn't mark everyone who is popular/not popular, but I highlighted those related to Red Wings and are frequently commentated on. Full list at http://bleacherreport.com/articles/805880-doc-emrick-and-the-50-best-announcerstv-personalities-in-hockey-history/page/51

Pierre McGuire #50

Don Cherry #49

Ken Kal #46

Al Michaels #45

Ron MacLean #38

Jack Edwards #34

Gary Thorne/Bill Clement #28

Darren Pang #26

Sid Abel/Bruce Martyn #24

Ken Daniels #19

Mickey Redmond #13

Dave Strader #8

Doc Emerick #1

At least a few of our guys got decent mention, although I think Ken Daniels should higher, even higher than Mickey... also, McGuire shouldn't even be on this list, he's horrible...

BIG DRIVE!!! Seriously, best of all time? Mike Myers from "Mystery, Alaska" should rank higher than him. And why is Cherry so low on the list? His wardrobe alone puts him in the top 10. Gary Thorne and Bill Clement are the guys that are in my head when I fantasize about winning the Cup in OT and they should be higher than Darren Pang.

I miss Strader. He was/is better than Daniels.

Bleacherreport is fun to read, but they recently had an article where Chris Chelios and Mike Vernon were listed as two of the 5 greatest fighters in Wings history! :scared:

Can't take that site for face value, really.

Just for entertainment.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Don Cherry is hilarious. He should have been ranked higher.

Pierre the ****** McGuire should be on "top 10 worst" list, not here. That alone makes the list a joke. Did he run out of names or something? We have a good 70+ years to draw on!

Personally, I would have Jim Hughson in the top 10 at least.

I've always thought he was by far the best announcer because of his tone and inflection.

Bleacherreport is fun to read, but they recently had an article where Chris Chelios and Mike Vernon were listed as two of the 5 greatest fighters in Wings history! :scared:

Can't take that site for face value, really.

Just for entertainment.

I wouldn't rank them as two of the five greatest fighters in the past 15 years of Wings hockey; regulars only. Brad Norton doesn't count. In fact, based just on regulars of the past 15 years, I would say neither makes the top five. For Chelios, he doesn't even make the top five in the past ten years.

In no order:

1996-2011 - Top Ten

Darren McCarty

Jiri Fischer

Aaron Downey

Brendan Shanahan

Bob Rouse

Dallas Drake

Joe Kocur

Martin Lapointe

Stu Grimson

Jamie Macoun

2001-2011 - Top Five

Darren McCarty

Jiri Fischer

Aaron Downey

Brendan Shanahan

Dallas Drake

Chelios I would put as close to both of those lists... but Vernon? Really?

The only top five list I can put Chelios on is one of my design, and even then he'd be at the bottom. Top five fighters in Wings history with a potential HOF resume.

Edited by eva unit zero

I wouldn't rank them as two of the five greatest fighters in the past 15 years of Wings hockey; regulars only. Brad Norton doesn't count. In fact, based just on regulars of the past 15 years, I would say neither makes the top five. For Chelios, he doesn't even make the top five in the past ten years.

In no order:

1996-2011 - Top Ten

Darren McCarty

Jiri Fischer

Aaron Downey

Brendan Shanahan

Bob Rouse

Steve Thomas

Joe Kocur

Martin Lapointe

Stu Grimson

Jamie Macoun

2001-2011 - Top Five

Darren McCarty

Jiri Fischer

Aaron Downey

Brendan Shanahan

Steve Thomas

Chelios I would put as close to both of those lists... but Vernon? Really?

The only top five list I can put Chelios on is one of my design, and even then he'd be at the bottom. Top five fighters in Wings history with a potential HOF resume.

I would put Drake in there as well. Maybe ahead of Thomas.

Gary Thorne "Gretzky had it....lost it"

"Yzerman moving...Blue Line Chance-SCOOOOOOOORE!!!!!!!! STEVE YZERMAN! DETROIT WINS!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist :P

"Do you believe it?! Hat trick! Hat trick! Darren McCarty!" From the 2002 Playoffs :P

God I hope he makes a return to the broadcast booth for the NHL.

That was freaking awesome. Could you imagine doc emrick? Drive by McCarty! ! .....just doesn't work the same huh?

you can't have gary thorne and bill cement-head together like that.

one's a top-notch PBP, and the other tries really hard to do interesting color commentary by saying ridiculous things like "beautimus maximus."

I wonder what it would be like to see Thorne/Redmond?