• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

I've been a fan of Stuart since he got here, but if he didn't re-sign, I don't think it's that bad. He is 32, and we'd probably have to sign him for 4 years to bring him back.

We could get someone who's younger to take his spot.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:03 PM

It wouldn't be a big loss.

He hasn't had a good season so far and surely the great Kenny Holland could find a comparable replacement with so much cap space, especially if Lidstrom retires also.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

I've never seen Tim Gleason as anything more than an average defenseman.

I don't understand this mentality. He grew up in Michigan. Whoopee. What's the big deal?

Well by stay at home, tough defenseman standards he is one of the best.

5th in the league in hits last year, more blocked shots than any wing last season,logs 21 minutes a night 3 mins of which is short handed. Hes one of the most solid stay at home types in the league and was a good enough for the silver medal winning olympic hockey team.

Hes a pretty big upgrade over Stuart, he does everything he does plus fights and is 4 years younger.

As for the Michigan thing, we're talking about a guy who is leaving the most successful franchise of the last 20 years to be near his family most likely, and you dont think being from Michigan could have an effect?

The face of American hockey who had played for one organization for his whole career signed a one year with Detroit because its where hes from and tarnished a great legacy in many people's eyes.

Being from the area has a huge effect for a lot of players its pretty obvious, its obviously a big deal to be near their families and where they grew up

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#24 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,941 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

I wouldn't be upset if Stuart left after this year. I can understand that he wants to be closer to his family, and family ultimately overrides hockey. He's looked sluggish this year. He's been a big part of our defense since he was acquired in '07/'08, but I think there are better options out there. If Lidstrom retires after the season, and Stuart leaves to be closer to his family, and Commodore is let go for another #7 defenseman, the defense will look a lot different. Too early to accurately predict anythingobviously, but I'll throw this out there:

X-Kronwall
X-White
Ericsson-Kindl
X/Smith

Possible replacements for Lidstrom:

Ryan Suter
Shea Weber (Long-shot, but still)

Possible replacements for Stuart:

Tim Gleason
Sheldon Souray
Adrian Aucoin
Willie Mitchell
Cory Sarich

Possible replacements for Commodore:

Jim Vandermeer
Bryan Allen
Sheldon Brookbank
Shane O'Brien

Suter-Kronwall
Gleason-White
Ericsson-Kindl
O'Brien

Why no Smith?
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#25 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Why no Smith?

Do you think they'll have him in GR for another year? Or do you think he'll be a full-time Wing next year? I think they'll give him a few games next year, but they typically wait till they're "Over-ripe".
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:06 PM

Well, I would hope that if he does want to move closer to home next year he does one of two things, A. Tells the Wings early enough of his decision so they can trade him to LA at the deadline for Penner or 2. HE lets them know he wants to finish the year out with the Wings and THEN go home, so after the season he re-signs a sign and trade contract with the Wings that the Kings like and gets's traded to the Kings for Penner (who also does a sign/trade.) Of course there is always option C. I'd like to see him re-sign here and when/if Lidstrom retires and Holland gets Suter (or Weber via deadline trade(yes I am thinking positive)) he will still be part of the NHL's best defensive corps and help bring one or two more Cups here.... (positive thinking feels good this morning!)

Would the neg bandits kindly explain to me what about this post warranted a -2? You wouldn't want Suter or Weber or Penner or 2 more Stanley Cups? Would you rather lose Stuart for nothing? So it wouldn't be a good idea to trade him before he leaves or sign/trade him if his heart is in LA? Do you hate Stuart so much that the mere idea of someone mentioned re-sign him makes you sick? Don't just neg someone, be a man and step up and explain the reason you disagree, instead of hiding...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#27 pockets

pockets

Pockets Smash

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:53 PM

Would the neg bandits kindly explain to me what about this post warranted a -2? You wouldn't want Suter or Weber or Penner or 2 more Stanley Cups? Would you rather lose Stuart for nothing? So it wouldn't be a good idea to trade him before he leaves or sign/trade him if his heart is in LA? Do you hate Stuart so much that the mere idea of someone mentioned re-sign him makes you sick? Don't just neg someone, be a man and step up and explain the reason you disagree, instead of hiding...

If you hate Hudler, youd hate penner. Thats probably why you got negged. I mean seriously penner is probably just as lazy as Hudler and hes is at less of a disadvantage due to his size.

And as for Stewie leaving 2 words Ryan Suter. If hes available i dont see holland passing him up if he can get him.

lets say lids come back next year and we get suter

Lids-White
Suter-Kronwall (let them build chemistry now for when we do lose Lids)
Ericisson-Smith-Kindl

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:02 PM

Wow, I guess saying that we would have the best D in the NHL and being positive about getting Suter or Weber, or suggesting that if Stuart wants to go back to So.Cal then we should trade him before he walks for nothing is definitely -5 worthy. Sometimes I wonder about some people...

Maybe I should say, "When/if Lids retires our defense will suck, screw Stuart let him walk for nothing, he sucks and nah, there is no chance in hell we land Suter or Weber so f*** being positive about it!" Now that post would warrant a -50 if I wrote it that way, but I guess that is what I really meant when I said positive things about Stuart and getting Suter/Weber and winning Stanley Cups.

And to you above, if Lidstrom stays, I don't think Holland will go after Suter or Weber. I hope to be wrong, tho.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

Stuart for Parros and a pick.

Then he can be with his family in California and we can get a pick for the future, plus an enforcer who the ladies love.

Everyone goes home happy :thumbup:

Edited by GMRwings1983, 13 November 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#30 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

Stuart for Parros and a pick.

Then he can be with his family in California and we can get a pick for the future, plus an enforcer who the ladies love.

Everyone goes home happy :thumbup:

That would make sense. Where would we fit him in, though? Parros is out for like a month with a torn retina. Took a puck to the face in practice. Doubt he'll come back with a visor on. Anaheim has a lot of younger, quicker guys coming up in the system. Not sure if the Ducks will reserve a spot for an enforcer, or not.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#31 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

That would make sense. Where would we fit him in, though? Parros is out for like a month with a torn retina. Took a puck to the face in practice. Doubt he'll come back with a visor on. Anaheim has a lot of younger, quicker guys coming up in the system. Not sure if the Ducks will reserve a spot for an enforcer, or not.

You missed the part about the pick as well. Stuart could pull a draft pick.

Parros could fit on our 4th line. We don't have Hall of Famers on that line last I checked.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 13 November 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#32 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:33 PM

You missed the part about the pick as well. Stuart could pull a draft pick.

Parros could fit on our 4th line. We don't have Hall of Famers on that line last I checked.

True. Lubomir Visnovsky is out for a month. Anaheim's defense is awful thin, right now, so that makes a lot of sense.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:37 PM

This board takes me for rides on the LOLercoaster sometimes...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,709 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

True. Lubomir Visnovsky is out for a month. Anaheim's defense is awful thin, right now, so that makes a lot of sense.

Well, it's all settled then.

Let's send this post to Holland for final approval.

#35 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Well, it's all settled then.

Let's send this post to Holland for final approval.

Just title it "Powerplay as our enforcer", otherwise it goes right to the garbage.

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#36 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

from det news today .. damn don't wanna lose him, guess his family is still out in Cali?

Stuart lights lamp for family
After stating publicly this week that considerations of living closer to home will figure prominently in his decision to re-sign with the Red Wings for next season and beyond, Brad Stuart scored his first goal of the season Saturday.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/a...m#ixzz1daf0aV43

I hope we can resign him he has been great here I think he is(my opinion) 2nd best defense man we have
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#37 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Well by stay at home, tough defenseman standards he is one of the best.

5th in the league in hits last year, more blocked shots than any wing last season,logs 21 minutes a night 3 mins of which is short handed. Hes one of the most solid stay at home types in the league and was a good enough for the silver medal winning olympic hockey team.

Hes a pretty big upgrade over Stuart, he does everything he does plus fights and is 4 years younger.

As for the Michigan thing, we're talking about a guy who is leaving the most successful franchise of the last 20 years to be near his family most likely, and you dont think being from Michigan could have an effect?

The face of American hockey who had played for one organization for his whole career signed a one year with Detroit because its where hes from and tarnished a great legacy in many people's eyes.

Being from the area has a huge effect for a lot of players its pretty obvious, its obviously a big deal to be near their families and where they grew up

Aside from being younger, I don't see Gleason as much of an upgrade. Pretty similar players IMO. Really, aside from Suter I don't think any pending UFAs are a real upgrade. There's a handful of guys of a similar level, so I don't think it's a huge worry if we don't re-sign him, especially if Nick comes back again.

Gleason would be a good replacement. Suter obviously. I also like Boychuk, Gorges, Beauchemin, and Zanon. I also like Wideman. Not a physical, stay-at-home guy, but in our system his puck moving and offense might actually produce better results. Plus, if Nick came back that would give us two excellent L/R pairs for the PP points.

#38 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,607 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

I hope he stays.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#39 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Aside from being younger, I don't see Gleason as much of an upgrade. Pretty similar players IMO. Really, aside from Suter I don't think any pending UFAs are a real upgrade. There's a handful of guys of a similar level, so I don't think it's a huge worry if we don't re-sign him, especially if Nick comes back again.

Gleason would be a good replacement. Suter obviously. I also like Boychuk, Gorges, Beauchemin, and Zanon. I also like Wideman. Not a physical, stay-at-home guy, but in our system his puck moving and offense might actually produce better results. Plus, if Nick came back that would give us two excellent L/R pairs for the PP points.

I didnt realize Boychuk was a free agent either.

While Gleason isnt a big upgrade I still think he is one. Hes meaner, more physical and better in his own zone a bit while being younger. Hes not a lot better but I think he is, coupled with his age thats an upgrade nonetheless.

Boychuk would be a good second option and might even be a bit cheaper too.

If Stuarts gone and the wings signa wideman type to replace him, he will be sorely missed. Hes the only bigger, tough dman on the team that can play mean hockey and regular minutes.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#40 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:06 AM

The only problem I have with the post is trading for Penner. I thought this guy was going to be an awesome power forward based on his time in Anaheim, but man was I wrong.

We already have a player like him in Bertuzzi. But Bert actually tries harder. Penner has been demoted to the third and fourth line several times in his short time in LA.

And the Kings don't really need a defenseman like Stuart with Willie Mitchell, Matt Greene, and even Doughty to a degree, all of whom are physical and hard hitting defenseman.