• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

11/15 GDT: Red Wings 1 at Blues 2

Rate this topic

Was only able to catch the third and a bit of the 2nd. Not sure what can be done about the inconsistent effort. Babs doesn't seem to be willing to sit players who aren't performing and doesn't seem to reward the people who really put forth the effort.

What I don't understand with this team is the complete lack of effort one night and then another night we look like world beaters. I don't know why when our team is struggling Hank and Franzen dissapear. Expecially Franzen, the guy only scores when were ahead in games and its so tilting to me.

Pav might not be putting up points but at least he is putting in the effort to try and have an impact on the game. As I watched this horrible game I didn't eve notice Hank or mule until Mule turned the puck over for the 2nd goal. Its so frustaring feels like our team just checks out sometimes.

If were going to win our best players have to be our best players and on nights when our team seems to be lacking our stars don't seem to step up and right the ship resulting in a lackluster effort all around. Someone needs to kick Hank and Franzen in the balls and tell them to step up there game because with just our 4th line, Pav and Jimmy working hard this season is looking pretty short.

Cleary has been frustrating, for sure. Last year he was about to break out into a team leader in scoring, then his injury happened, and when he came back he was never the same. It just seems that sometimes the team lacks that killer scoring intellect, though tonight St. Louis did an amazing job at blocking shots.

I really wasn't all that frustrated with Franzen, he did some good things out there. But the powerplay meltdown was embarrassing. It's been weak all year it seems. We really miss Rafalski out there.

All in all, a frustrating loss, but nothing to freak out over. It was a 2-1 defensive battle and sometimes you come out on the losing end.

Well, they beat us, fair and square. I didn't like a few of the calls on both sides, but it didn't matter because the better team won. They outworked us, they created turnovers left and right, and they punished us every time we went to the boards. Same old story - star forwards are invisible (except for Datsyuk); certain defensemen act like they want to be on the 4th pairing. I wouldn't mind if Cleary got sat for a while...I love the guy, but it's not working for him right now.

Hey guys, what's going on in here? ;)

That was one of the worst reffed games I've seen in quite a while. Wings seemed to get all the calls, especially in the 3rd period, Blues only caught a break with 4 minutes to go on another bad call when Steen stepped on the puck and the Blues got a PP.

Not that I am complaining about the outcome, but during the game it was frustrating to watch.

At one point is was something like 15 minutes of PP time to 12 seconds...when it should have been much more even. Crazy.

Exciting game from our end.

Goaltending was excellent at both ends...which was to be expected with the numbers both guys have put up so far this year.

Glad to see Kronwall is ok.

I think Stewart was expecting more of a reverse check from Kronwall and tried to counter it, but ended up launching him into the boards instead. His proximity to the boards was at the right (or wrong) distance to make it very dangerous.

I don't think it was a dirty hit...just an unfortunate hit...and very scary. I don't think Stewart meant for it to turn out that way.

I won't be surprised if he is suspended a couple games for it though.

Hey guys, what's going on in here? ;)

That was one of the worst reffed games I've seen in quite a while. Wings seemed to get all the calls, especially in the 3rd period, Blues only caught a break with 4 minutes to go on another bad call when Steen stepped on the puck and the Blues got a PP.

Not that I am complaining about the outcome, but during the game it was frustrating to watch.

At one point is was something like 15 minutes of PP time to 12 seconds...when it should have been much more even. Crazy.

The blues were clutching and grabbing all night. Those penalties were pretty well deserved. Other than the tripping non call, the Wings played pretty honestly. That was also a testament to how little they worked during the game.

Exciting game from our end.

Goaltending was excellent at both ends...which was to be expected with the numbers both guys have put up so far this year.

Glad to see Kronwall is ok.

I think Stewart was expecting more of a reverse check from Kronwall and tried to counter it, but ended up launching him into the boards instead. His proximity to the boards was at the right (or wrong) distance to make it very dangerous.

I don't think it was a dirty hit...just an unfortunate hit...and very scary. I don't think Stewart meant for it to turn out that way.

I won't be surprised if he is suspended a couple games for it though.

Agreed. Cheers.

The only thing that really concerns me so far is they aren't clearing the lane on shots. When things aren't going well they are firing 10 maybe 15 shots directly off shinpads, sometimes it is unavoidable but when you have more time say on the PP you have to clear the lane.

Last night for some unknown reason they kept trying to take everything into the slot. The Blues knew where they were headed and the wings just kept turning it over there. Perimeter play can suck but sometimes you got to take the slightly longer shot to open the slot up.

Regardless they weren't in this one, super sloppy and alot of nonchalant type play.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that Hudler is getting the majority of the scorn right now considering the performance of Datsyuk and Zetterberg?

I'll admit that Cleary and Hudler have been terrible. But where are the leaders on forward? Franzen seems to be our go to guy now and he takes off nights, so how can this team stay competitive when we have two stars who aren't playing like it and a goal scorer who is taking on a role he shouldn't be taking?

Agreed.

Z and Dats are our star players and used to be the guys who made the players around them better. Babcock would always talk about how he puts a slumping player on a line with Zetterberg or Datsyuk to get that player going. Now we're spending a lot of time talking about their linemates helping them out.

Mule's always been streaky, but his work ethic and turnovers are killing me this season. Last night he threw a backhand clearing attempt to the middle of the blueline in his defensive zone.

Right now the Wings look like a team without a first line. How much scoring has come from the defense now?

Agreed.

Z and Dats are our star players and used to be the guys who made the players around them better. Babcock would always talk about how he puts a slumping player on a line with Zetterberg or Datsyuk to get that player going. Now we're spending a lot of time talking about their linemates helping them out.

Mule's always been streaky, but his work ethic and turnovers are killing me this season. Last night he threw a backhand clearing attempt to the middle of the blueline in his defensive zone.

Right now the Wings look like a team without a first line. How much scoring has come from the defense now?

Detroit's tied with San Jose (I think) in goals scored by defensemen.

Imagine what is going to happen when Lidstrom retires. :ph34r:

The blues were clutching and grabbing all night. Those penalties were pretty well deserved. Other than the tripping non call, the Wings played pretty honestly. That was also a testament to how little they worked during the game.

I don't want to come off as petty, because the Blues did win the game...but that fact aside...

I didn't have a huge problem with most of the calls against the Blues. But some of them were ticky-tack-barely-a-penalty calls...like the supposed hook on Arnott that was really just a stick lift. That was lame.

My main gripe is with all of the penalties that weren't called on Detroit...and it was more than just the no-call on the trip.

Just in the 3rd period alone...

- There was the no-call on the trip when everyone stopped skating, thinking it was a penalty.

- There were at least two blatant interference no-calls that I remember...one where Howard badly interfered with...someone...I forgot who around the net.

- There was the horrible icing call late in the game.

- There was a hook on Oshie (I think it was Oshie) that negated a scoring chance.

And I feel like I'm forgetting another one...anyway...

The fans were pissed...the Blues bench was livid...the announcers were wondering what was going on...mainly because when they are calling the Blues for pretty much everything, and not calling anything on Detroit, especially on what seemed to be blatant penalties. That's where the issue is as far as I am concerned. Call it the same for both teams..or at least close to the same. It was most certainly NOT an evenly called game last night.

I'd be a lot more annoyed today if we had lost and the penalties went down the same way.

And I know this isn't the case, but it was like the refs were trying to give Detroit every opportunity to come back and tie the game. I hate it when people talk like that, but damnit if it didn't seem like that last night.

And it wasn't just bad calls against St. Louis. Detroit got hosed when Steen stepped on the puck with a few minutes to go.

In short...horribly reffed game. One of the worst I've seen in some time.

I'm just glad the Blues were able to overcome the reffing and pull out the 2-1 win in a very exciting game.

Here is my problem with the Wings, and this will ultimately spell their success or failure this season. They a re 8-0 when Franzen and Filpulla get poiints in a game. That should not be the case... the case should be us saying the Wings are successful when Datsyuk and Zetterberg are getting points, leading us to wins. That is not the case, and ultimately, that is the problem. Mike Babcock is just as much to blame for this as Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Zetterberg has at least at linemates to play with this season that have potential (whether its been Pavs, or Franzen and Fil). Meanwhile, Pavs has been stuck with Cleary for way too long, and has not been able to get going. Babcock should have realized, like 5 games ago, that Cleary deserves nothing but a seat in the press box with his play this season, but yet he continues to play with our best forward. If the Red Wings are to be successful this season, it is the job of Mike Babcock to do all he can to do what it takes to get Pavs and Hank going, so changes need to be made. In my opinion, during the slump, even though the Wings were not scoring, Pavs and Hank were still playing well with each other and have since then looked un-interested at times. To get them playing at the level they should be, Babs should put them back together and, in the process, call them out and tell them that they need to be as good as expected. The lines should be:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Homer (For reasons said above, and Homer has played hard and given it his all every game- deserves top line minutes)

Franzen- Filpulla- Hudler (Hudler has played way harder than Cleary all season and has not made even close to the amount of mistakes)

Abdelkator- Helm- Brunnstrom(I love Helmer with Abs, and I think Brunnstrom should be given a good chance to play and I think he could add a nice threat to this line.)

Eaves- Emmerton- Cleary (Cleary probably should be scratched a few games, but I think he would do fine and this would be a good 4th line)

I don't want to come off as petty, because the Blues did win the game...but that fact aside...

I didn't have a huge problem with most of the calls against the Blues. But some of them were ticky-tack-barely-a-penalty calls...like the supposed hook on Arnott that was really just a stick lift. That was lame.

My main gripe is with all of the penalties that weren't called on Detroit...and it was more than just the no-call on the trip.

Just in the 3rd period alone...

- There was the no-call on the trip when everyone stopped skating, thinking it was a penalty.

- There were at least two blatant interference no-calls that I remember...one where Howard badly interfered with...someone...I forgot who around the net.

- There was the horrible icing call late in the game.

- There was a hook on Oshie (I think it was Oshie) that negated a scoring chance.

And I feel like I'm forgetting another one...anyway...

The fans were pissed...the Blues bench was livid...the announcers were wondering what was going on...mainly because when they are calling the Blues for pretty much everything, and not calling anything on Detroit, especially on what seemed to be blatant penalties. That's where the issue is as far as I am concerned. Call it the same for both teams..or at least close to the same. It was most certainly NOT an evenly called game last night.

I'd be a lot more annoyed today if we had lost and the penalties went down the same way.

And I know this isn't the case, but it was like the refs were trying to give Detroit every opportunity to come back and tie the game. I hate it when people talk like that, but damnit if it didn't seem like that last night.

And it wasn't just bad calls against St. Louis. Detroit got hosed when Steen stepped on the puck with a few minutes to go.

In short...horribly reffed game. One of the worst I've seen in some time.

I'm just glad the Blues were able to overcome the reffing and pull out the 2-1 win in a very exciting game.

I think after your player tried to ruin someones career the officials decided to do the right thing and call against your dirty team.