• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

News From Around the NHL *Mod warning page 75*

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

:lol:

Imagine having 40% of your cap tied up in 3 forwards lol

Reports a few months back were that Johnsson turned down offers for 2 and 2.5 AAV as well. He and Kapanen will both like likely want something in at least the 3-4 range. Plus Gardiner will be aiming around 4-5.

So they basically have $8.8 to sign an $11 mil forward, a $5 mil Dman, and two $4 mil forwards. Azmazing that the "brain trust" f***ed things up this quickly lmao.

Fun part is there should be some interesting deals this offseason.

12 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Reports a few months back were that Johnsson turned down offers for 2 and 2.5 AAV as well. He and Kapanen will both like likely want something in at least the 3-4 range. Plus Gardiner will be aiming around 4-5.

So they basically have $8.8 to sign an $11 mil forward, a $5 mil Dman, and two $4 mil forwards. Azmazing that the "brain trust" f***ed things up this quickly lmao.

Imagine what they could have done if they hadn't signed Marleau or JT and kept that money to pay their young core and supplemented them with more selective vet signings instead of expensive UFAs.

6 minutes ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Imagine what they could have done if they hadn't signed Marleau or JT and kept that money to pay their young core and supplemented them with more selective vet signings instead of expensive UFAs.

Without Marleau and Johnny T

Hyman - Matthews -Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Nylander
Brown - Gauthier - Kapanen

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Muzzin

Anderssen
Sparks

Cap space $6.5... 5-7 roster spots to fill

With Marleau and Johnny T (Marner re-signed)

Marleau - Matthews - Marner
Hyman - Tavares - Nylander
Brown - Kadri - Gauthier

Rielly - Zaitsev
Muzzin

Anderssen
Sparks

Cap space: $2 mill... 6-8 roster spots to fill

both look like ok teams, but one's a lot more financially healthy.

I think TO will be fine.  Chicago showed you can have all your cap tied up in a handful of players so long as those players are really good.   Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Reilly is a pretty good core.  You can fill in around those guys with bargains and entry level deals and still field a really competitive team. 

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And not getting out of first round!!!

1 hour ago, kipwinger said:

I think TO will be fine.  Chicago showed you can have all your cap tied up in a handful of players so long as those players are really good.   Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Reilly is a pretty good core.  You can fill in around those guys with bargains and entry level deals and still field a really competitive team. 

Chicago's depth on their Cup teams were vastly superior to what Toronto could ever hope to have...Toronto won't win the Cup for a long time..

Scotty Bowman can.  Shanny ans Slapcock cant.

I'm just happy they're already hemorrhaging multiple good young players. Chicago already had their first cup when that started for them.

51 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Chicago's depth on their Cup teams were vastly superior to what Toronto could ever hope to have...Toronto won't win the Cup for a long time..

Might wanna check the stats on that one bud.  Assuming Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, and Marner are Toronto's core forward group, that's probably a more productive group than Chicago's Kane, Toews, Hossa, and Sharp were during Chicago's run.  Then TO has Kadri, Kapanen, Johnsson, and Hyman, all of whom were 40+ point players and three of whom scored 20 or more goals.  None of them individually are better than a Saad or Panarin, but they're more productive collectively. Morgan Reilly just put up 72 points, which is better than any season in Duncan Keith's career, the difference offensively between Jake Gardiner and Seabrook or Hjalmarsson are laughable, and Muzzin is certainly their equal defensively.  The only obvious place Chicago was better was in goal. 

But regardless of how you value individual players (or even if you conclude that Chicago was better) the gap is pretty slim.  The hard part for TO will be losing guys like Johnsson, Kapanen, Kadri, Gardiner, etc. and replacing them with comparable talent.  Chicago essentially did that twice.

41 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I'm just happy they're already hemorrhaging multiple good young players. Chicago already had their first cup when that started for them.

Guys like Big Buff, HJarlmalsson, Campbell, Sharp, Versteeg, Panarin (not on a Cup winner), Saad (prodigal son), and even Shaw all were solid players...Just think if there wasn't a cap how many more Cups they might've won?

Toronto won't have this depth once Marner gets his $$$.

Edited by F.Michael

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The 2009/10 Hawks team was pretty insane looking back. They were bursting at the gills with talent, which was why they had the crazy exodus right after the cup win.

They willed Niemi to a cup win. That's saying something.

They were loaded with guys who were ABOUT to become really good players, but none of them were quite there yet.  If you check out their regular seasons stats you'll notice two things, A) almost all of them later became household names, B) almost none of them were highly productive individually.  Kane was the only player with 30 goals. Toews wouldn't have been considered a top 5 center (and maybe never will be). None of Byfulgien, Ladd, Seabrook, or Campbell topped 40 pts.  Hjalmarsson didn't even crack 20 pts. Troy Brouwer and Kris Versteeg were their 6th and 7th most productive players. 

I think it's a matter of hindsight.  We know now that all of those guys went on to win more Cups, and be more productive throughout their careers.  But if you looked at that one season on paper you likely wouldn't conclude (at the time) that they were about to be a powerhouse.  Definitely not more impressive than Toronto or Tampa were this season (again, on paper).

Edited by kipwinger

They were loaded with guys who were ABOUT to become really good players, but none of them were quite there yet.  If you check out their regular seasons stats you'll notice two things, A) almost all of them later became household names, B) almost none of them were highly productive individually.  Kane was the only player with 30 goals. Toews wouldn't have been considered a top 5 center (and maybe never will be). None of Byfulgien, Ladd, Seabrook, or Campbell topped 40 pts.  Hjalmarsson didn't even crack 20 pts. Troy Brouwer and Kris Versteeg were their 6th and 7th most productive players. 

I think it's a matter of hindsight.  We know now that all of those guys went on to win more Cups, and be more productive throughout their careers.  But if you looked at that one season on paper you likely wouldn't conclude (at the time) that they were about to be a powerhouse.  Definitely not more impressive than Toronto or Tampa were this season (again, on paper).

I don't disagree, I'm certainly looking back in hindsight. I think it's saying something that a lot of those player went on to become really good.

Toews and Sharp really cranked it up during that playoff run. Byflugien really turned it on in the playoffs too, especially in the finals when they tasked him with handling Chrissy Pronger. I think most realized he was gonna be a really good player during that series.

Tronna's got a good foundation. Looking back I think they would take a do over on Marleau and Zaitsev though. Of course those aren't Dubas's fault though.

6 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

It was Zaitsev's idea, sureeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm gonna pissed at whatever team is dumb enough to take Zaitsev's contract

Funny thing tho'bout former Leafs Dmen...Over the years quite a few actually go on, and have good careers.