• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Majsheppard

Hurricanes a blowing?

Rate this topic

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gleason is the only one I'd want, but they're gonna want more than I'd be willing to part with to get him... Also, I don't think we really need any of them... The only thing I'd like to see us get is a bonafide scorer, none of which any of them are...

I wouldn't mind Jokinen but I don't think we need another borderline top 6 player. If we could get rid of Bertuzzi for him it might be worth it. A trade for Gleason AND Jokinen might be worth it. Though I haven't seen them play much at all so it's hard to give a solid opinion.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Guest Crymson

I wouldn't mind Jokinen but I don't think we need another borderline top 6 player. If we could get rid of Bertuzzi for him it might be worth it. A trade for Gleason AND Jokinen might be worth it. Though I haven't seen them play much at all so it's hard to give a solid opinion.

I'm still not understanding why people think that teams out of the playoff hunt would trade for players who will be UFAs in the summer.

Please explain how Jokinen wouldn't be a downgrade from Bert, please

I'm still not understanding why people think that teams out of the playoff hunt would trade for players who will be UFAs in the summer.

Only reason I could think of is if they need to stay over the floor yet want to be under the floor at FA period to make big signings...

The first part fits their bill, but not the second. I doubt they will want any UFA's.

I'm not saying it's a realistic trade. I'm only saying when I think it'd be worth it.

Please explain how Jokinen wouldn't be a downgrade from Bert, please

Isn't 800 years old. Played at a 60 point pace last season on a s***ty team. Currently about on pace with Bertuzzi while most likely not playing with Datsyuk. And while I'm not an expert on Jokinen, it'd be hard to be lazier and take more stupid penalties than Bertuzzi.

I'm not saying it's a realistic trade. I'm only saying when I think it'd be worth it.

Isn't 800 years old. Played at a 60 point pace last season on a s***ty team. Currently about on pace with Bertuzzi while most likely not playing with Datsyuk. And while I'm not an expert on Jokinen, it'd be hard to be lazier and take more stupid penalties than Bertuzzi.

Smaller, less sandpaper to his game, often injured, 3m a year on his contact, for the next 2 years after this one... AND isn't very good defensively...

Oh yea, and although it isn't Datsyuk, he's had some pretty good line mates... Also, as is OFTEN overlooked, Bert is liked by teammates and chemistry can NOT be discounted...

No thanks.

Edited by stevkrause

Several possible reasons.

As stated, a need to stay over the floor while also clearing cap space for the summer. Could be a player they want and are willing to pay for the exclusive negotiation time. Desire to dump salary and/or a player they are unahappy with, with little concern for the long-term return. Marketing ploy. Or it could just be that the pending UFA is only a piece in a package deal.

As to the OP question, Ruutu is an easy choice for me. He'd add a physical element we could really use in our top 6, and he's having a pretty good year in terms of goal scoring. I don't think Jokinen adds anything we don't already have, and adding a defenseman to play on the 3rd pair (or bump Stuart down) wouldn't help as much.

Guest Crymson

Several possible reasons.

As stated, a need to stay over the floor while also clearing cap space for the summer. Could be a player they want and are willing to pay for the exclusive negotiation time. Desire to dump salary and/or a player they are unahappy with, with little concern for the long-term return. Marketing ploy. Or it could just be that the pending UFA is only a piece in a package deal.

... none of which are likely in deadline deals for significant players. I rest my case.

... none of which are likely in deadline deals for significant players. I rest my case.

Depends on what you consider "significant", and who the pending UFA is. I think any of the players in the OP would be significant, and I could see Carolina moving them for mainly picks, with a pending UFA added in. Maybe not any of ours, but the point stands.

of those four, I picked none. Since we really don't need those borderline players. Jokinen could've been had for nothing in the off season and although Gleason would be a solid, abrasive defenseman, he doesn't really address our need this season or next season. We already have very capable defensemen right now with the 7 we have and we need a #1 guy to replace Lidstrom IF he retires. The other guys are borderline top 6 and we have a handful of guys like that already.

why is there still so much hate for Bert on this damn board? We all know that he never will be the same player he was in Van, but the guy plays his ass off. I woul rather have 1 todd bertuzzi that 5 drew millers. Love drew but hes soft. While our team has shown they can be "physical" lately we need a big body that can score 20-25 goals a yr and check the s*** outta ppl. But sadly, these days those players are a rare breed. unless ur VAN or SJ who has like ALL OF THEM it seems.....lol

The more I think about it, Ruutu might be a good fit. He's their leading goal scorer, yeah, but their top four or five are all pretty consistently similar. They might be willing to part with him for two solid guys or a player and a pick. I can't imagine a whole lot of teams are looking at him and offering anything. But I'm not familiar with his game, whether he's lazy or not.

EDIT: Then again, he's not even a consistent 20 goal scorer. It's amazing how hyped some players get on these boards.

Edited by VM1138

The more I think about it, Ruutu might be a good fit. He's their leading goal scorer, yeah, but their top four or five are all pretty consistently similar. They might be willing to part with him for two solid guys or a player and a pick. I can't imagine a whole lot of teams are looking at him and offering anything. But I'm not familiar with his game, whether he's lazy or not.

EDIT: Then again, he's not even a consistent 20 goal scorer. It's amazing how hyped some players get on these boards.

But he's European man, that automatically makes him amazing and the next big thing......

I like Ruutu but he always seems to be banged up and the price Kenny would have to pay wouldn't be worth it.

I would take Gleason over Kindl, Commie, and E if one of them could be swapped for him.

Again, I live in Carolina so I know these guys.

A. In case we all forgot, Peter Karmanos and Mike Illich are not friends so I fail to see how we are going to trade with carolina period. Did we forget it was carolina who signed Feds to an offer sheet in 98'?

B. Carolina is going to have a lot of trade offers and someone (flyers cough, gleason cough) is going to give way more than ken holland is willing to give.

All that said the only guys i'm interested in is joks and Rutuu. Jokinen is of mild intrest because he can play all three forward positions but mainly because he's clutch as snot. Seriously google the 09 canes playoff rush to see "cardiac" jussi in action.

Rutuu is my guy though. He's my favorite canes player because he does things hockey fans love. Hit, score and hit some more. He's totally what we always say we want, but don't have. A euro who plays like a NA guy.

i wouldn't mind having jokinen. though as mentioned, there doesn't seem to be a slot for him right now. he has produced really well for carolina, especially considering they got him for basically scraps. he was great that year they got him for the playoffs. i remember thinking how much better he played down the stretch compared to when calgary made the splashier move and got olli jokinen but jussi ended up being the much more valuable jokinen that got moved that year at the deadline.