• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:18 AM

***I have been around this website long enough to know that if we start throwing current Wings around that this thread will fall into chaos. So limit replies to players not currently on the Wings.***

So I have been watching highlight videos on YouTube the last few days (especially awoods') and I have noticed that a lot of key players from the Wings' most dominant past (95-99) are still around. I was wondering who do you think is playing in the NHL now that maybe should have stopped a while ago before their career went from "legendary" to "ordinary."

My top choice is Martin Brodeur. I think he should have stopped playing the day after he broke the wins record. The Devils haven't been a real contender in a while and I think now that the organization needs to grow beyond his legend.

Anyone else come to mind?

Edited by Wings_Dynasty, 05 January 2012 - 09:23 AM.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy.

#2 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Not that Rick DiPietro has ever been "legendary" (other than in the injury department) but he needs to retire.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#3 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Apparently the NHL thinks Lidstrom needs to. Their new poll on who should win the Norris doesn't even include him as an option. Shocking.

On a serious note, Brodeur and DiPietro should. I can't beleive DiPietro got hurt again yesterday off-ice? How does any human get hurt that much, especially an athlete? Makes me wonder if he really gets hurt or he just can't play through any kind of discomfort. I hope someone writes a book about how dysfunctional the Islanders are.

I can tell you who shouldn't retire: Selanne. The guy just keeps playing at a high level.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#4 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Scott Gomez should retire. He's useless and makes way too much money.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams

#5 Sprsquirt7

Sprsquirt7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

I think that having someone retire simply because they aren't super elite anymore is complete bs. I for one know that if I made it to the nhl and was able to play there id play as long as I possibly could. The idea that their legacy is getting tarnished is a fan created dilemma that shouldn't even come into the picture when someones personal choice to retire is on the table. Of course if that is something the player feels its a totally different story.

#6 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

I think that having someone retire simply because they aren't super elite anymore is complete bs. I for one know that if I made it to the nhl and was able to play there id play as long as I possibly could. The idea that their legacy is getting tarnished is a fan created dilemma that shouldn't even come into the picture when someones personal choice to retire is on the table. Of course if that is something the player feels its a totally different story.

Agreed. Think about when Steve Y. would have retired and everything we would have missed if this had been his criteria for defining his career... Certainly there are players out there that can't adjust their game to a different role on the ice and they shouldn't handcuff teams by pretending they're something they aren't anymore.

Count me as one of the many who thought that Jagr coming back was a big question mark that wasn't going to pan out, but he certainly seems to understand his role and is playing quite well. Is he the super elite forward of yesteryear... No, but he's making an impact and isn't a distraction.
(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#7 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

I have to go along with DiPietro. That guy has had more bad luck than a bar has bottles of booze. Rick, for the sake of your body, give it up.
Posted Image

#8 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I have to go along with DiPietro. That guy has had more bad luck than a bar has bottles of booze. Rick, for the sake of your body, give it up.

Yup, he's had some terrible luck, but not sure I'd go with retirment, especially since he can collect on his contract for many years to come.

It's pretty funny though, at 30 years old, he's played about the same amount of games as 21 year old Stamkos. I know goalies play less games and wouldn't have come in as a starter the same time Stamkos started, but it still looks crazy. My guess is that if he was healthy, his games played would be double.

#9 dats13owns

dats13owns

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

Jonathan Ericcson

#10 malts85

malts85

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:09 PM

Andrei Markov is another player who seems to be constantly injured and usually the same problem, his knee. Whether he should retire I don't know but I don't think the Canadiens should be using him as a building block for their team.

#11 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

Corey Perry, Sidney Crosby, Logan Couture, Joe Thornton, and Ryan Kesler.

I just don't ever want to see their faces ever again. Perry, Crosby, and Couture faces are like splinters in my eyes that just have to go away.

#12 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

it took 10 posts to come up with right names. too long, i hoped for about 3-5...

#13 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Definitely Fatso.

He hasn't looked good since the lockout and since Stevens, Rafalski and Niedermayer left. You can also throw the trap in there, which made him look better than what he really was.

He's been especially underwhelming in the playoffs since the lockout. I figured after last season's no-playoffs disaster, he'd retire, but he's still around.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#14 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,447 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Definitely Fatso.

He hasn't looked good since the lockout and since Stevens, Rafalski and Niedermayer left. You can also throw the trap in there, which made him look better than what he really was.

He's been especially underwhelming in the playoffs since the lockout. I figured after last season's no-playoffs disaster, he'd retire, but he's still around.

I agree that he has reached the point where he should retire at the end of the year, but to say he hasn't looked good since the lockout is a bit off. I mean, he had seasons of 43, 44, 45 and 48 wins, he's had 41 shutouts since the lockout and he's won 2 vezina trophies.

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,647 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

I agree that he has reached the point where he should retire at the end of the year, but to say he hasn't looked good since the lockout is a bit off. I mean, he had seasons of 43, 44, 45 and 48 wins, he's had 41 shutouts since the lockout and he's won 2 vezina trophies.

The Vezina trophies were mostly reputational wins (especially 2008), and I'm talking about his playoff performances in those years more than anything else.

Without "the trap" and those three defensemen who left, he's been exposed in big games.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 05 January 2012 - 04:35 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

Marty's later years are hard to gauge, hes still a top 3 goalie of all time, however not all hall of famers have enjoyed the great ends to their career like lidstrom and teemu. However, while Marty;s numbers have dipped, the defense New jersey ahs put on the rink in the past couple years has been terrible. The defense this year make Ericssons mistakes look good. They cant defend and are constantly turning the puck over, its been this way since theyve lost their great core of dmen. His game shows that being the wokrhorse all those years has taken an effect on his body. Hes been burnt out for much of the devils latest playoffs appearances, highlighting the need for a good backup in todays league.

Edited by cnot19, 05 January 2012 - 05:10 PM.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#17 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

I think John Madden, Adrian Aucoin, Andrew Burnette, Hal Gill, Khabibulin, Gonchar, Ray Whitney, Andy Sutton, Pandolfo, Sellanne, and Jody Shelley (cause he is irrelevant.) all need to call it a career.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#18 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:12 PM

Apparently the NHL thinks Lidstrom needs to. Their new poll on who should win the Norris doesn't even include him as an option. Shocking.

Lmao, and the leading vote getter in the poll was "other". I think we all know who the fans mean by "other".

Crosby should retire. That guy will never be the same with his fear for big hits. He'll just come back and get another concussion.

bringit.jpg

#19 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

I think HWSNBN should retire, but not for the reasons some of you may think. Yes, I can't stand him, yes I think he's overexposed and over-hyped (in terms of marketing exposure), and yes I think he's basically a chickens*** douchecanoe. However, none of those are valid reasons to hang 'em up.

What is, in my opinion, is the fact that he's only played 8 games this season and missed a huge chunk of time last season, all due to concussions. I'm sorry, but your health should come before personal athletic accolades. He's got a Stanley Cup, he won an Olympic gold medal.....he's basically got nothing left to prove career-wise. He did in a shorter length of time, what some players never achieve in a 20 year career. Continuing to play when your brain is one good hit away from turning into runny scrambled eggs is not only stupid, it's suicidal. Eric Lindros played long after he should have quit, same with Pat LaFontaine, and both suffered from similar problems.

For the record, I'd say the same if we were talking about Hank, Pavs, Nick, or any Red Wing. So I'd put the same metrics on someone from my own team. I really, really, don't like the guy.......but I don't dislike him enough to want to see him keep playing and potentially turn himself into a vegetable. My hatred can only go so far before my line in the sand is reached.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#20 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think it's quite cocky for fans to have opinions on when players should retire. I find it disrespectful. Many of the veterans mentioned here have played over 15 years the game we all love in the best league in the world. It's not our business when they decide to quit. It always made my blood boil when I read other teams fans writing that Chelios, Hasek, Osgood, Draper etc. should retire when they still were productive players.

Some veterans are forced to retire when they can't get a roster spot anymore but Ray Whitney, Teemu Selšnne and Nikolai Khabibulin are having great seasons. They are in no hurry to quit.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |