• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#441 cprice12

cprice12

Resident St. Louis Blues Supporter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:04 AM

You are experiencing what is known as confirmation bias syndrome. Don't worry this happens to the best of us, and is a common occurrence when your favorite team loses a game.

You can make that point on my first point...that's rule interpretation...so I'll give you that. But my 2nd point isn't debatable at all. So you wanna try to explain to me how it wasn't textbook interference?
I'd love to hear it.

Edited by cprice12, 24 January 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#442 AceInTheSleeve

AceInTheSleeve

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:19 AM

You can make that point on my first point...that's rule interpretation...so I'll give you that. But my 2nd point isn't debatable at all. So you wanna try to explain to me how it wasn't textbook interference?
I'd love to hear it.

I don't remember the play well enough to give an opinion on whether or not helm's hit was interference. I can't find a replay of the hit.

But what about the play where Holmstrom had his stick slashed out of his hands? That is considered a penalty and there was no call on the play, so perhaps two wrong calls make a right?

But I'd blame the Blues frustration for this loss, not the refs.

#443 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

Petro didn't look like he made contact with Howard when he took a swing, if he did he just grazed his shoulder, maybe the side of his mask...but he wasn't sucker punched.

Oh, so he was only swinging at Howard, but may not have made contact. Well, if he's only TRYING to punch the goalie then that makes everything OK!

#444 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:24 AM

As long as cprice12 isn't an obvious Blues troll (which he isn't), I don't care if he posts. Other opposing team fans SHOULD post here.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#445 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:42 AM

For everyone saying Refs love the Wings, I made this ;)

Wings PP opportunities:
Away: 88. 11th in the league on the road.
Home: 92. 12th in the league at home.
Total: 180. 9th in the league.

Teams like MTL, CBJ, and even the Kings have more PP opps than the Wings. The league must love them, eh?

Wings Times Shorthanded:
Away: 87, 14th fewest in the league at away.
Home: 80, 18th fewest in the league at home.
Total: 167, 15th lowest times shorthanded.

Teams like PHX, NYI, and florida are all near the top of the league for fewest times shorthanded, refs must love them.

Yah...the refs love the Wings

As long as cprice12 isn't an obvious Blues troll (which he isn't), I don't care if he posts. Other opposing team fans SHOULD post here.

CPrice is the s***. He's been here forever and makes great points. He's one poster of an opposite fan base I respect. Him and Duck Guy.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#446 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

I'd love to hear it.

You act like this is the first time ever that a referee has missed a call during a game.

It happens. Suck it up and take your lumps. Stop coming here with excuses and instigating conversations about the officiating when you acknowledge that the Wings were the better team in the match. It comes off as petty.

Posted Image

#447 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:02 AM

I don't mind Howard being scrappy at all. He can stand up for himself and he isn't afraid to do so. He could complain to refs or media about it but instead he gets physical back. With the Joe chanting his name towards the end he was probably pumped up to get the win. He knows the hometown fans like physical goalies too ;)

cprice12, I saw you were saying Howard has a history of "attacking players" on your forum. Such as against Crosby when he was mauling Zetterberg at the end of that game which I'm sure you didn't see from your youtube clips. Or like here when Howard "attacked" Pietrangelo because he didn't like getting socked in the face at the end of a game when they were pushing and shoving back at Howard if not more (grabbing his mask from behind.) Yet you have complaints about Stewart instigating Stuart? :huh: Enough Excuses. We'll see you April 4th. And then maybe a month or so after that if you're lucky.

#448 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:03 AM

I'd love to hear it.

Well then whichever Blue it was that knocked Holmstrom's stick out of his hand's in the 2nd should have been given a slashing penalty, it gets called 9 outta 10 times! So now i disagree with the officiating too... Point is you could nitpick every minute of the game if you wanted too, and I don't think the interference was big enough travesty to make a good argument out of. They never showed the replay of Helms hit, so i couldn't say otherwise, but I disagree with your disagreeing. Only because I see your post as a way to try and have us justify an excuse for why wings won, when there clearly isn't one.

#449 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:07 AM

"They tried to retaliate and took a penalty and we scored," Franzen said. "It was a nice, clean hit. Good for us that they tried to go after (Stuart).

"On Helmer, it was a clean hit again. ... I donít know if they can tell the difference between a good and a bad hit."

In that same sentiment, I'm not sure if any team does, really.

But overall it just seems like a bunch of message sending.

#450 Kerjuxaxaxa

Kerjuxaxaxa

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

It's great to see hockey like this after games against the likes of Coytoes and Blow Jobets. I'm very happy that Blues are finally competitive.

I'm not. I wish they comeback to suck again cos Blues fans are pathetic with their whining. They're convinced that Stuart's hit is illegal hit to the head.

#451 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:20 AM

Some more wise guy talk from Franzen:

"We have to thank the guy who went after Stuie," Franzen said. "It was a good, clean hit, and he decided he wanted to take an instigator. So, thank him, and score a goal."

#452 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:26 AM

I'm not. I wish they comeback to suck again cos Blues fans are pathetic with their whining. They're convinced that Stuart's hit is illegal hit to the head.

Ever been here after a Wings loss? Or better yet: ever listened to yourself?

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#453 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:39 AM

You act like this is the first time ever that a referee has missed a call during a game.

It happens. Suck it up and take your lumps. Stop coming here with excuses and instigating conversations about the officiating when you acknowledge that the Wings were the better team in the match. It comes off as petty.

I agree, but in all honesty, I don't think there was a call to be missed. cprice says that it was textbook interference but it really wasn't. It would have been interference if Helm knocked the guy down, they went after the puck, but it was an even battle for the puck where Helm hit him as they were going for the puck. If the puck weren't right in the feet of the players and was maybe 3-4 feet away, sure it could have been considered interference. No matter what, the Blues lost their cool and took a dumbass roughing penalty that cost them possibly getting a point in OT. Even on the ensuing PP if Halak wasn't trying to Halak and Whack Holmstrom into the stands, he would've been ready and in position to stop Kronwall's shot. Blues lose their cool and lose to Detroit....again...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#454 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,608 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

Overall Detroit was the better team tonight. They deserved to win.

With that said...I had some issues with a couple things.
Detroit's two power play goals probably shouldn't have happened...I'll explain.

1) I don't think Stewart should have gotten an instigator penalty. Yes, he approached Stuart and wanted to fight...that's obvious...but Stuart dropped his gloves first. Stuart was a willing participant. Stewart didn't drop his gloves and jump on Stuart. I disagreed with that call. You see fights start all of the time where one guy goes over to another guy and gives him a shot and says let's go, and the other guy agrees and the gloves come off. That's the way I saw this...Stewart just went a long way to fight Stuart.

2) Helm's hit on Pietrangelo late in the 3rd was textbook interference. Petro was skating for the puck and he seemed to be a good 5 or 6 feet from the puck, hadn't touched it yet, and Helm destroys him. If Petro would have had the puck, it would have been a great hit...but the only problem was he didn't have the puck. Assuming Carlo still retaliates, it should have been 2 minutes on Helm and 2 minutes on Carlo. It should have been 4 on 4 with 3 1/2 minutes left instead of a Detroit PP.

My first point is debatable. I'm sure you can make a case that Stewart should have gotten the instigator and argue that...we could debate that all day since it comes down to rule interpretation. But I don't see the 2nd point being debatable at all. It's clearly interference on Helm, and just not called.

Congrats on the win. Like I said, Detroit was the better team in this game.
Maybe we can even up the season series on the next game in St. Louis...and hopefully we beat Pittsburgh tomorrow to get right back to within 1 pt. of the Wings.

:hysterical:

This is funny stuff... It was textbook instigating AND it was nowhere near interference. The puck was not 5 feet away from the players, it was directly behind the net, exactly where they were. You are just looking for excuses to why you Blues lost their cool and lost the game. If every player in the league that saw their teammate get hit LEGALLY and felt the need to retaliate just because the guy got knocked down didn't do so, then we wouldn't have these roughing penalties. Legal hit, got embarrassed then his teammate lost his cool. This is hockey, not tiddly-winks.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#455 auxlepli

auxlepli

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:54 AM

Really? We've been to the playoffs 21 straight years I believe? Won 4 cups during that span and made the finals 5 times. What the f*** have they done? I'll tell you what they did do, they watched Pronger miss a hit on Stevie Y and separate his shoulder in the process. They watched Stevie Y score in double ot of game 7.

/Endrant

Wings have been to the finals six times in that time span - 1995, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008 and 2009.

Yes, you were right!
If this link works, I believe this is Howard/Crosby (03/22/10)

Thanks for posting that clip. I was deployed then and never seen it before. If I read about it, I forgot. Anyway, Jimmy is the man.
I could say something negative about Crosby, but I'll let it go.

#456 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

Oh, so he was only swinging at Howard, but may not have made contact. Well, if he's only TRYING to punch the goalie then that makes everything OK!

I didn't say it was ok. I just said he didn't sucker punch Howard.

Settle down. ;)

#457 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,608 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

On the radio broadcast of the game on KMOX, colour commentator and Blues "legend" Kelly Chase sounded as if they were going to get the paddles and yell "clear" following the Stuart-Stewart incident. He hollered "joke" so many times it sounded like a Lindy Ruff press conference.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#458 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Oh, I'm sorry. Can we not discuss the game in the game day thread?
Just calling them as I see them my friend.
Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way.

And it's a significant thing to bring up, since both instances I am referring to led to Red Wing power play goals. It directly effected the outcome of the game. So, yes, I'm annoyed by it...you guys would be if it were the other way around. I've seen plenty of bitching in here about the reffing over the years.
If neither call or non-call led to anything on the scoreboard, it wouldn't be as much of an issue...but, unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

But yes, as I said, the Red Wings were the better team overall in the game. The Blues owned the 1st and the Wings took the 2nd and 3rd periods. The Blues got less and less sustained pressure as the game went on. I'm surprised it was only a 2-1 game with a few minutes to go in the game.

Goaltending was strong again, for both teams.

And this game was a bit rougher than most Blues-Wings games. Kind of a throwback of sorts. Fun to watch anyway.

#459 cprice12

cprice12

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Well then whichever Blue it was that knocked Holmstrom's stick out of his hand's in the 2nd should have been given a slashing penalty, it gets called 9 outta 10 times! So now i disagree with the officiating too...

I only saw the replay of that once...and yes, it looked like to me like it should have been a penalty.

Point is you could nitpick every minute of the game if you wanted too,

Isn't that what discussion forums are for? Talking about the details of the game?

and I don't think the interference was big enough travesty to make a good argument out of. They never showed the replay of Helms hit, so i couldn't say otherwise, but I disagree with your disagreeing. Only because I see your post as a way to try and have us justify an excuse for why wings won, when there clearly isn't one.

Ummm...the power play the Wings got from that whole series of events led to their 3rd goal. Huge goal in the game. It most certainly was a big enough travesty to make an argument out of. It's the biggest gripe I have in the game. Probably should have been mathing minors for interference and roughing... and a 4 on 4 as result, not a Wings power play.

#460 spork

spork

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

To all those critical of Babs end-of-game line selection, there was an icing call late in the game bringing a faceoff in our end with no chance to make a line change. 1st in the NHL; I think the coach is doing ok-certainly not a moron.

Edited by spork, 24 January 2012 - 09:03 AM.