• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

I think Wings nation would collectively kill themselves if they had to play the Sharks first round and the Sharks have home ice. Heck, that would be a travel nightmare too. Nashville would mean that at least the travel would be easier.

Nothing really scares me about this year's SJ Sharks unless you believe in the boogy man and that they have some sort of voodoo spell over us. If we did have to meet them, I'm pretty confident that we could get the job done this year, 1st or 2nd round. Only :thumbdown: is the travel but that's moot if we take care of them in 4 :cool: .

#42 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Nothing really scares me about this year's SJ Sharks unless you believe in the boogy man and that they have some sort of voodoo spell over us. If we did have to meet them, I'm pretty confident that we could get the job done this year, 1st or 2nd round. Only :thumbdown: is the travel but that's moot if we take care of them in 4 :cool: .

I agree with you, but many Wings fans have this fear of them after getting knocked out by them in the last two playoffs. Heck Colorado gave us our fits back in 1996 and then again in 1997 in the regular season before the brawl and the playoffs when we beat them 4-2. Seems that these things go in cycles. :)
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#43 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

Some teams just matchup better with others. Even having a down regular season, I still think the Sharks would give the Red Wings fits in the first round. That's not a series I want any part of between the travel and the history of the past two meetings.

San Jose plays a very similar game/style to the Red Wings and for whatever reason, they have done it better head-to-head lately. The 1-2-1 record against the Sharks this season is just another indicator that the Sharks have the Red Wings number. With Havlat healthy again, their top six is as good as any in the league. They have the size and speed combination to forecheck hard and that has given the Red Wings all kinds of trouble before. Niemi has been their weak link compared to obviously a potential series with someone like Rinne instead.

I look at the Sharks as a team that if they just find a way into the playoffs, they could turn out to be very dangerous. I don't think they are destined to win the West, but I would rather Chicago deal with them in the first round and get one of those two out of the playoffs immediately.

I guess with the West being as strong as it is, you can come up with pros/cons of any potential opponent. I still strongly prefer the Red Wings to finish 4th and get home ice advantage in the first round. They are a different team at the Joe and with a tough draw likely looming against Nashville, that extra game on home ice could be the deciding factor.

Edited by GoWings1905, 27 March 2012 - 04:40 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#44 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

I agree with you, but many Wings fans have this fear of them after getting knocked out by them in the last two playoffs. Heck Colorado gave us our fits back in 1996 and then again in 1997 in the regular season before the brawl and the playoffs when we beat them 4-2. Seems that these things go in cycles. :)

Bad example really. Colorado beat us in 1999 and 2000 (we didn't have to go through them in 98). Thank God for Ilitch giving out cash to Hasek, Hull and Robitaille to put us over the top in 2002.

However, we haven't done anything in the offseason to improve our chances against San Jose. They made a few changes in the offseason to their roster, but we still had a hard time against them this regular season. I don't fancy our chances in that series. Just seems to be a bad matchup for Detroit. And if I'm not mistaken, they'd get home ice over us just because they finished as a higher seed. So we'd have to travel for the first two games again.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 27 March 2012 - 06:24 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#45 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Last night or the current standings shows exactly why wishing or choosing your teams isn't necessary.

I get the 6th argument, I get they've played well against the Stars this year, I get the Sharks are probably not the Sharks of the past two years, but you can easily flip the other side of the coin and say the Sharks still have the Red Wings number in the postseason (and yes you can just as easily say they nearly blew a 3-0 series lead last year etc.).

You play who you are going to play. Throwing games just to get a possible favorable matchup when that matchup isn't a guarnatee is silly.

And given how the Wings have been so dominant at home when healthy, I'd think finishing 1st or likely/hopefully 4th in this case is pretty darn important.

Just win and win as much as possible is the simple motto here.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 27 March 2012 - 06:52 PM.

#46 Sentell

Sentell

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:57 PM

Posted Image

#47 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:32 PM

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=39245

For those watching the standings every day (like I know we all are) TSN.ca has the above Stretch Drive standings page. It allows you to see not only where each team sits, but also who their remaining games are against, as well as which are home or away.

#48 Sentell

Sentell

Jr. Prospect

• 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

It would not be good if Wings finish 6th cause they are legit ally 4th now and if they play San Jose they are f***ed. They are only western Season they lost to (3-1 for sharks) and last year wings played a crap team in first round and had a long break and they played poorly there first games against sharks. If they play Preds or Hawks they will probably win and get a good series out of it. And they would have to finish season off s***ty to finish 6th.

#49 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I don't think it's going to matter once the playoffs start, it's a completely different monster. Whatever team wants it the most is going to take it, regardless of who we face in the first round both teams will be playing to win and it's anyone's game. We are fans of a sport where the lower seed knocking out the higher seed isn't all that uncommon, the playoffs are unpredictable so i'm just leaving it in the hands of the hockey gods and continue to cheer on my boys in the meantime.

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#50 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Not too concerned about any team in particular, and I'm too superstitious to pick poison for the team.

I will say, however, that a series against Nashville will probably be a snorefest, one way or the other. No matter how good that team gets I just find all the games against them dull.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#51 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,886 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

The West seems more diluted this year compared to the past decade or so. I'm not overwhelmed by any team over here, Vancouver and Detroit included. I can see any seed getting to the Finals this year, and frankly I think every seed has about an equal chance of getting there.

#52 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:40 AM

Never, ever, ever wish for a specific opponent, because it will come back to bite you in the ass. The Wings will play whoever they end up playing, and we can worry about how we'll fare against them once we know who they are. I'm not going to start wishing and hoping for any specific team. The Wings are in the playoffs, which is all that matters.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#53 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

This. I was surprised to see we're only 6 points behind. We could still take #1 if we start getting hot.

Even now, with just 6 games left it's possible. Obviously the Wings would need some help and they'd have to run the table but it is by no means impossible since the Wings and blues square off once more.

Personally, the only downside I ever really see for the Wings in the playoffs is travel. I hate to see them start the playoffs with a west coast team because I think it sets the tone for the entire drive. That alone (not to mention pride, building good habits, entering the playoffs on a roll etc.) is enough reason not to want to drop to 6th. That being said, I almost hope the Wings end up against SJ at some point in these playoffs. I think both of the series the last two years were not nearly as bad as some like to think. In my mind SJ was lucky to be up 3-0 to start last year (hell, even the year before) and I think the Wings dominated games 4-6 with 7 being a toss up. Add in a healthy Franzen and things may have been different. I would relish the opportunity for the Wings to put SJ down.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#54 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:54 AM

Yes, let's lose on purpose so we can start on the road where we absolutely suck.

Great thread. A+ really.

Posted Image

#55 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Alright, after thisf****** game tonight. I have to believe more people want them to tank now. Nashville looks like they are ready to beat us silly if we draw them in the first round.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#56 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

I swear to you, sixth is better. If it ends up being SJ, then we let them in by handing them a win, and it will be no better than fifth. There is no way we go into Nashville and beat them in the first round. Maybe in the third round when there are injuries as an xfactor.

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#57 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I swear to you, sixth is better. If it ends up being SJ, then we let them in by handing them a win, and it will be no better than fifth. There is no way we go into Nashville and beat them in the first round. Maybe in the third round when there are injuries as an xfactor.

I wouldn't mind another crack at SJ. Let Nashville-Chicago play each other 1st round.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#58 Ray1905

Ray1905

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:56 PM

I feel it doesn't really matters where the Wings finish, the way they play right now they couldn't beat the Habs, Leafs or Islanders...
Read less, more TV.

#59 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Yes, let's lose on purpose so we can start on the road where we absolutely suck.

Great thread. A+ really.

I am going to go out on a limb with a really crazy idea. That the team you face, the way systems and players match up... means more than road/home. I actually don't mind the idea of starting on the road, because it is far more likely that the first two games are split historically than the home team takes both. With that it isn't that big of a deal. I really think it just helps for games five and seven.

The thread is about us being able to actually beat Nashville. I don't think we can do it right now. I think in the third round, if they are still in it... we would do better.

#60 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

At this point:

1st choice - 4th
2nd choice - 6th
3rd choice - 5th

So in short, try your best to win every game but if you're sitting in 5th, just try your best to rest Lids, Dats, Z in the last few games *wink wink* :cool:

I have a feeling the league would accuse us of cheating and take a draft pick away from us or something stupid like that. I would just limit their ice time. Maybe play that killer fourth line more and get Gustav some ice.