• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

I call BS, if this happened to a team mate of mine I would throw gloves no doubt! I say f*** Weber and I hope to see retribution in this series. Whether or not he gets a suspension for this he better have a target for this series. A dirty no-class act IMO withe 5 sec left. :ranting:

That's what I'm saying. Of course we aren't pro athletes, but that also means we don't travel 6/7 months with our teamates either. But never in my life would I let s*** like that go down against one of my friends

Edited by ben_usmc

Your making it sound acceptable and we should just accept it as playoff hockey. People are mad cause is a star player that doesnt play dirty, so it kinda translates to a major cheapshot, but thats just my opinion.

No I am saying it isn't as bad as people are making it out to be, not acceptable. Nobody is saying it is acceptable.

Zetterberg hit Weber high against the boards, could have been a boarding call...which is why Weber was upset.

But yeah, Weber overreacted and should probably get a 1 game suspension.

If this were the regular season he would probably get 2 games.

I'm not sure what he was thinking. If he was upset, he should have just dropped the gloves and said, "let's go". Zetterberg of course would skate away, but at least Weber would have made his point. But instead, he did something stupid.

Zetterberg hit Weber high against the boards, could have been a boarding call...which is why Weber was upset.

I'm not sure what he was thinking. If he was upset, he should have just dropped the gloves and said, "let's go". Zetterberg of course would skate away, but at least Weber would have made his point. But instead, he did something stupid.

It would have been an unbelievably weak boarding call, even for this game.

Z comes up behind Weber and rolls off the hit. That kind of thing happens every game. Weber's reaction was ridiculously disproportionate to Zetterberg's hit, especially considering he just won the game.

Not trying to get into another argument on here just saying weber was eating the clock in the corner so Z was trying to get the puck loose with the hit. There was never any danger in my opinion its a play that happens in most scrums. Weber should have just accepted the hit and took the win knowing he was going to need to take contact in that situation.

It would have been an unbelievably weak boarding call, even for this game.

Z comes up behind Weber and rolls off the hit. That kind of thing happens every game. Weber's reaction was ridiculously disproportionate to Zetterberg's hit, especially considering he just won the game.

you are talking to a blues fan now. them and Nashville fans pretty much see the game the same. big bad wings getting what they deserved. would love to see what cprice said on his blues board. I use to look but the dude makes me sick every time I do.

Article from mlive...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz defended Shea Weber for his actions near the end of Wednesday's game, an incident that could land the big defenseman in hot water with the NHL.

Weber punched Detroit Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg in the back of the head and then slammed his head into the glass as time expired.

"Zetterberg hit him in the head first,'' Trotz said. "It wasn't much there. I mean, I was watching the scrum right after that with (Todd) Bertuzzi and (Paul) Gaustad and Bertuzzi comes in with a big-time haymaker. "I watched the first the one, I just think Zetterberg was getting tired at the end and knew Webs was there and the game was over.''

Asked what led to the sparks, Weber said, "It's playoffs.''

Does he think he'll be disciplined by the NHL?

"I don't know,'' Weber said. "He hit me from behind. So we'll see. I don't know.''

Zetterberg did not address the media. Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said he was "180 feet away'' and didn't get a good look at it and didn't see it on video.

At the bolded parts...all I can say is, really? <_<

Sure, Zetterberg technically gave him a little cross-check from behind. But, he rolled off Weber anyways. And Z made the pass on the play too. If Weber did that every time a player checks him like that, then he'd be head-slamming guys at least 5-6 times a game.

Edited by Nevermind

s***....

UPDATE: From Sportsnet's very plugged in John Shannon: "Suspect the hit by Weber on Zetterberg will be reviewed, but big #6 won't miss any time."

Edited by ShanahanMan

Wrong. There have been several incidents this season in which no penalty was called and a player ended up getting Shanabanned.

I'm not quite sure how anyone could argue that what Weber did wasn't an intent to injure. Seriously? Weber first punches Z in the back of the head and then grabs the back of his head and slams it into the glass. I’d have to say that I’d be very disappointed if Weber doesn’t get at the least a game, but with the way the game was called, and with Bettman in attendance; I wouldn’t be surprised.

The League Office does not have to suspend in no match penalty was called. That is true.

During the season they step in a lot. Not as much in any playoffs I can remember. Now if it was a match penalty their hands are tied.

The Refs didnt call it an attempt to injure. Now with the media jumping all over this and the hit that happened in Vancouver, It's a pretty safe bet he will get a game.

We shall see.

Edited by NHLrules?

s***....

UPDATE: From Sportsnet's very plugged in John Shannon: "Suspect the hit by Weber on Zetterberg will be reviewed, but big #6 won't miss any time."

This is what I meant about the League not being bound unless the refs call a match penalty. We will see if its true but.... it comes down to how the refs call it.

Bob McKenzie twitter

At this point, there has been no mention to NSH about disciplinary hearing for Shea Weber pushing Zetterberg's head into boards/glass.I would be shocked if Weber is suspended. Whether we like it or not, and many don't, outcome or result of hit usually trumps intent.Weber's vicious first punch was glancing blow, turnbuckle move looked worse but wasn't as forceful. Worse part for me: time of game. Over.

I don't disagree with McKenzie's assessment of the likelihood of suspension. But letting the lack of injury so heavily influence suspension is the major flaw in the NHL discipline.

So Weber won't get suspended because he mostly whiffed on his suckerpunch to the back of the head of a player, and didn't ram his face into the turnbuckle that hard?

It means the league is content to wait until there's a sever injury to suspend things like this, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me if you're trying to protect players' brains.

Zetterberg looked like he was fine overall, but that shouldn't be the judge in the end.

Milbury and Jones just reported on it saying they don't think that Weber will be suspended, but they both thought it probably should have been suspendable.

Stayed up just to hear what they would say about it. They said it should have been a major. I'll be happy with a one gamer.

Edited by Vladiator

What does the playoffs have to do with anything? I thought the whole point of the Shanabans were to take the headshots out of the game to try and reduce the amount of concussions that are going on? So pre-season, or the Stanley Cup finals, if you're serious about protecting the players the penalty should be the same. You can get a career ending concussion just as easily from a headshot in the playoffs as the regular season.

Let's be honest here. Did Weber get a little unnecessary by trying to take Z's head into the glass (I say trying because it wasn't as bad as it looked/could've really been)? Yes. But Z did make an unnecessary run at Weber in the corner, coming a little high the elbow towards the head with the game all but over. That's is undoubtedly what sparked the fracas.

I don't think there will be a suspension here, but in all fairness if there is then Bertuzzi better be riding the pine along with Weber because his hay maker to a defenseless Gaustad was really no better than Weber's actions. It was a chippy game between two heated rivals & ITS THE PLAYOFFS!

I get tired of seeing people crying bloody mary over this, throwing the word "safety" & "prevention" out there concerning concussions but being the same people who cheer when the NHL allows the gloves to be dropped and two players go bare knuckle at each other til one is damn near knocked out.

Let's be honest here. Did Weber get a little unnecessary by trying to take Z's head into the glass (I say trying because it wasn't as bad as it looked/could've really been)? Yes. But Z did make an unnecessary run at Weber in the corner, coming a little high the elbow towards the head with the game all but over. That's is undoubtedly what sparked the fracas.

Be honest yourself. There is a huge difference between going hard into the corner and grabbing another player's head and punching it into the glass.

Edited by RusDRW