• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Shea Weber fined for Zetterberg "headslam"

Rate this topic

Be honest yourself. There is a huge difference between going hard into the corner and grabbing another player's head and punching it into the glass.

Please, I was at this game & Weber put no mustard on that "head smash" as everyone in red keeps referring to it as.

I'm sure Weber didn't appreciate being run at high against the boards with merely a few seconds left when he has already been out this season from a concussion.

I guess you have an excuse for Bertuzzi coming over to Gaustad and delivering a vicious shot to his face as well? I guess punching someone in the face 30 seconds after the final horn is perfectly acceptable?

It's the principle. You can't do what Weber did. It's not a hockey play, no matter how hard he did it or how serious it could've been. If someone on the Wings pulled a stunt like this, I would expect a suspension, no doubt. Imagine being the aggressor in this situation. Throw a full angst punch (landed or not) and then two hand grab a guy and slam his head into the glass....I'm not half assing this, I'm gonna put his head through the mother f**king glass. If you watch the video, Z put his hands over his face, which stopped total carnage. Weber could have initiated a fight, he could have kept throwing punches, but no, he chose to make an unnatural hockey play. I just miss the old days when a guy like Weber would have to answer to someone who knew how to fight. I don't care if he gets suspended or not, I just hope the Wings can win the series, or have someone match up with Weber and beat him. Hey, I'll even enjoy a Kronwall lunging his rear side into Weber. Unfortunately, it seems as though Weber will get off scotch free and end up losing in the second round to some muck muck squad that wont be in the playoffs next year. In the end, it's classless and I'm sick and tired of seeing our beloved Wings getting punked out by s***ty people, who have potential to be really good hockey players.

At the final buzzer, Nashville's All-Star defenseman and captain Shea Weber received a roughing penalty for a series of hits on Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg. Replays showed the 6-foot-4, 232-poundWeber grabbing the head of the 5-foot-11, 195-pound Zetterberg and slamming it into the glass.

Weber was asked if he thought he would need to worry about any possible further supplementary discipline.

"I don't know. He hit me from behind, so we'll see," he said. "I don't know."

Asked what sparked the incident, Weber simply said, "It's playoffs. It's playoffs."

Trotz defended his player and said he also did not think it would warrant supplementary discipline.

"Zetterberg hit him in the head first," Trotz said. "There wasn't much there. I mean, I was watching the scrum right after that with [Todd] Bertuzzi and Gaustad and Bertuzzi comes in with a big-time, you know, haymaker, so I just think Zetterberg was tired at the end and he knew Webs was there and the game was over."

For his part, Babcock seemed to reserve judgment until he got a better look at it on replay. Asked if he saw the play, he said, "Well, yeah, but I was a 180 feet away."

The whole point of NHL discipline is to prevent serious injuries to players BEFORE they actually happen and someone has to get reconstructive surgery right? Then how does that goal get achieved when players are only suspended if the result is that they other person is injured? The NHL makes absolutely no sense with it's discipline and I doubt that Weber will get anything because Z is "fine." And suspensions also depend on the player being targeted. If Weber had smashed Crosby's head into the glass, he would be out for a loooong time. But it's Zetterberg so there will be nothing.

This is just going to prove that league discipline will continue to be ineffective and inconsistent as long as Bettman is in charge. As much as I like Shanny, he's under Bettman's thumb and I highly doubt he's able to do anything without Bettman's say so.

Can you imagine if someone from Philly grabbed Crosby's head with both hands and drove his head into the boards after the game already ended? Whether Zetterberg is dead or wasn't even hurt it was still intent to injure and a blow to the head which warrants a suspension. Zetterberg is not a "diver" and he's a key player on our team that should be protected. I don't think he "sold" anything.

Edited by GoWings!

If Hank were Crosby, Weber would be suspended for the remainder of the Preds' run.

But, as it is, I'll be amazed if he gets even one game.

My feeling is that anything cheap that happens after the final horn should be punishable with at least a fine if you want to put an end to the gooning BS when the game is over. Gaustad got a big chop in on the legs of Datsyuk during that same sequence.

You are completely right, if you put Crosby in Hank's position there would be levied a suspension to end all suspensions. The media would be calling for blood, and everyone on Pittsburgh would be interviewed two or three times so they can squeeze in buzz words like "no respect" or "gutless. Then again, if it happened to Sid he would milk it for all it was worth, sit a few games and pout.

To everyone in the media I've heard, the intent was clear and the act was terrible, but since Zetterberg didn't appear injured and the league only cares about the results, no suspension for Weber. Basically, his act was heinous but he executed it poorly because he didn't succeed in injuring Zetterberg... I'll let that sink in for a second.

And the cherry on top is the actual "hockey play" that occurred - Hank went into a scrum and bumped Weber to get the puck as Weber turned to put himself in the position to protect it - is the subject of the counter-whining from Trotz and Weber, even being called a "hit to the head". What a smart league would say is "average play results in extraordinary retaliation", using it to prove intent. What this league will do is take the easy route of doing nothing because Zetterberg was not injured, Weber has no "history" to my knowledge, and will say the turnbuckle headshot Zata took was simply a ***-for-tat in post-game chippiness (which it was not).

Prepare to be sickened yet again, Red Wings' fans

Edited by b.shanafan14

Please, I was at this game & Weber put no mustard on that "head smash" as everyone in red keeps referring to it as.

I'm sure Weber didn't appreciate being run at high against the boards with merely a few seconds left when he has already been out this season from a concussion.

I guess you have an excuse for Bertuzzi coming over to Gaustad and delivering a vicious shot to his face as well? I guess punching someone in the face 30 seconds after the final horn is perfectly acceptable?

A punch is a (relatively) normal hockey play. Grabbing a players head and forcing it into the glass is not. The punch by Weber was okay, but the following act was not.

Gaustad had slashed Dats in the back of leg and then tried to engage him. Gaustad wanted to engage a player after the game. Bert obliged and Gausted predictably calmed down.

1) Please, I was at this game & Weber put no didn't get enough mustard on that "head smash" as everyone in red keeps referring to it as.

2) I'm sure Weber didn't appreciate being run at high against the boards with merely a few seconds left when he has already been out this season from a concussion.

3) I guess you have an excuse for Bertuzzi coming over to Gaustad and delivering a vicious shot to his face as well? I guess punching someone in the face 30 seconds after the final horn is perfectly acceptable?

1) Fixed. The fact that Weber didn't succeed in injuring Zetterberg doesn't change the act or the intent. He didn't get "mustard" on it because its pretty difficult to grab a man's head and slam it into a surface without a good grip; Zetterberg was protected by his helmet and the lack of grip in Weber's glove.

2) "Run high with a few seconds left"? Bumped from behind in a position he put himself in to protect the puck from a player trying to tie the game late. That's a hockey play, happens at least 30 times a game and isn't called as boarding or anything. And despite the counter-complaining Trotz and Weber, Zetterberg didn't "hit him in the head".

3) Have you watched the replay? After the faceoff, Datsyuk is standing there, watching the play in the corner, Gaustad, 4th liner, took several chops to the legs of the Wings' best player who missed time with leg injuries, after the whistle and then proceeded to get in his face. Big tough guy. When Bertuzzi went over to give him someone his own size to start crap with, Gaustad predictably hid behind the officials and continued to talk. So yes, it is perfectly acceptable.

Edited by b.shanafan14

Filth... That crap needs suspension. We are lucky Z wasn't injured AND with seconds left in the game AND with Bettman in attendance?! 2 games for being a Roid-Raging Thug! I want to hear Gary Bettman deliver that speach as to why Weber is being suspended.

It's sad when Shanahan is still our only enforcer.

Hilarious! Good one.

What's the deadline for try-out contracts like the one we signed Sheahan for?

In other news, D-Mac isn't under contract with anyone.

I hope Weber gets

1) suspended

2) fined

3) Kronwalled

4) beaten down

5) sent golfing in about, oh, say... a week, give or take a day or two.

ooh well, if you were there then everything is fine. This indeed changes everything. No suspension.

Not sure if I want Weber on the Wings if he's gonna pull s*** like that.

Whether we all like Weber's actions last night or not the fact is Weber is a player who straddles the line of dirty within the rules or a cheapshot artist who deserves repeated suspensions. Weber is the new age Chris Pronger. The fact that he is so big, and so mean, is a huge factor in making him as good as he is. To me, I may not like certain individual plays he makes but I haven't seen him do something so absolutely outrageous that I wouldn't want him on the Wings. I would still take him in a heartbeat.

McKenzie has it perfect. I absolutely guarantee there will be NO suspension. The worst part about the play is that it happened with no time on the clock (essentially) and Preds fans and the league will just hide behind the fact Webere received a roughing minor while the Wings didn't even get a chance to take advantage of that fact.

ooh well, if you were there then everything is fine. This indeed changes everything. No suspension.

ha if anything the fact that he/she was there would just make it even harder for him/her to have seen the play. When you go to a game how much crap in the scrums do you really see?

It would have been an unbelievably weak boarding call, even for this game.

Z comes up behind Weber and rolls off the hit. That kind of thing happens every game. Weber's reaction was ridiculously disproportionate to Zetterberg's hit, especially considering he just won the game.

It's technically boarding. He hit Weber from behind while Weber was facing the boards, and Weber's head hit the glass.

I'm not sure why it matters that Zetterberg "rolled off" Weber. It's still boarding. I'm sure all Weber cared about was the fact he felt he got boarded, and he said as much in the paper.

I'm not condoning Weber's actions at all, it was a classless play. But it's obvious by watching the replay that is why he was upset. I'm surprised you guys didn't mention that sooner (well, not really surprised). Like I said, Weber should have dropped the gloves, that would have been the way to go. It would have put an exclamation point on the game...instead, he did something stupid.

If he doesn't get suspended...that will be a shame. I think he deserves a game for that.

If Franzen didn't get suspended for clocking Montador at the end of that Hawks game I can't see how this is suspendable.

That is an excellent point.

I was shocked Franzen didn't get a game for that.

Here's my take; is this incident really that much different then the Burt , Moore punch other then the outcome ? A player punches another player from behind when he defenseless ( with webber adding the turn buckle move for good measure ) . I know this type of play happens often but really if the NHL wants to send a msg that these type of plays wont be tolerated then they need to suspend webber and for more then one game, does it take an injury That ends a career for the league to take notice. I know a lot of people won't agree with me and I accept that but what if z had been seriously injured ( a fact that we still don't know ) would the league then step in ? I wan't an NHL that is proactive in protecting players, not reactive.

Edited by saven

Wow. Just wow....Take another look....Zetty is fighting for the puck and trying to check Weber off the puck....he didn't initiate a fight...he made contact with him.

Lastly, Bert did go after Weber but there was a linesman to break it up. You are neutered.

No, Zetterberg came in a little high and from behind, and Weber took exception. But yes, Weber's reaction was unacceptable and I am not excusing it, but it was not as baseless and as dirty as some are trying to make it out to be. Take off your rose-colored glasses.

Will Weber be suspended? I don't know? It did not look as bad to me as some of you are making it out to be, and I just watched it several times. When I played hockey, stuff like that happened every shift, and if you wanted retribution you got with your fists. Red Wings fans have become soft, as have the Red Wings, as we all know. And yes, blows to the head are absolutely unacceptable, but lets keep things in perspective. Zetterberg's hit was not much, but it was probably enough to get the ire of most red-blooded defensemen. Not excusing what Weber did, and he may be suspended and I will have not problem with that, but just don't act like Zetterberg was without fault. I love the Wings, but I also like to keep things in perspective. Suspend him, don't suspend him, Bowman would of just sent out Kocur, McCarty, Lapointe, Shananhan or Rouse, or whoever, in game 2.

This team has no 4th line, that is the problem.

Oh, and it looked to me like Bert was after Gaustad, not Weber.

hmm, so weber's kind of an idiot, eh?

This is what I am starting to think.... unfortunately no one on our squad other then Bert has much of a chance against this guy, so Id perfer they explode offensively instead and light up Rinne and get this series going.