• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Tim.D

Nyquist in game 2

Rate this topic

Homer is at his best when he is with the Eurotwins and both hank and pavs always say they prefer to have homer playing with them because he retrieves pucks along the boards and hands it off to them and then goes to his office and makes it easier for the Big guns to get it done.

I don't think Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom is going to work out as well. I'd rather Bertuzzi or Hudler on instead of Homer.

Bert was completely useless on that line, anyone..and i mean anyone would serve more purpose at this point.

Why does it matter if Emmerton can play center if he's hardly getting any icetime anyway? He's not exactly taking big faceoffs in his 5 total minutes out there.

We can put together a 4th line with all wingers, and the center would be someone like Cleary or Miller, who are defensively responsible.

Get Emmerton out of the lineup.

Guest Crymson

Why does it matter if Emmerton can play center if he's hardly getting any icetime anyway? He's not exactly taking big faceoffs in his 5 total minutes out there.

We can put together a 4th line with all wingers, and the center would be someone like Cleary or Miller, who are defensively responsible.

Get Emmerton out of the lineup.

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but taking a winger who has no experience at playing center and putting him in that position will mean a very hard time for him. There's more to playing center than just taking faceoffs.

Edited by Crymson

Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, but taking a winger who has no experience at playing center and putting him in that position will mean a very hard time for him. There's more to playing center than just taking faceoffs.

Playing center is not really rocket science, the centerman is responsible for the middle of the ice and is to help out the defense down low and to pick up the extra guy in the slot.

Faceoffs are actually really important for a center to be good at or whats the point of playing center if you can't win a faceoff. It scares me to think of Cleary or Miller trying to take a faceoff at a crucial point in the game if they get stuck out on the ice.

I'd actually like to see Sheahan instead of Emmerton as the 4th line center. Bigger body who can throw some hits on the Nashville defense and he can't be any worse on faceoffs than Emmerton.

Playing center is not really rocket science, the centerman is responsible for the middle of the ice and is to help out the defense down low and to pick up the extra guy in the slot.

Faceoffs are actually really important for a center to be good at or whats the point of playing center if you can't win a faceoff. It scares me to think of Cleary or Miller trying to take a faceoff at a crucial point in the game if they get stuck out on the ice.

I'd actually like to see Sheahan instead of Emmerton as the 4th line center. Bigger body who can throw some hits on the Nashville defense and he can't be any worse on faceoffs than Emmerton.

Cleary has taken faceoffs for us in the past. Besides, like I said, Emmerton didn't take too many faceoffs last night. He hardly got on the freaking ice.

You can't dress a guy just because he's a center, and then not play him, especially in a game where another center got injured. I don't understand what Babcock is doing with Emmerton.

Cleary has taken faceoffs for us in the past. Besides, like I said, Emmerton didn't take too many faceoffs last night. He hardly got on the freaking ice.

You can't dress a guy just because he's a center, and then not play him, especially in a game where another center got injured. I don't understand what Babcock is doing with Emmerton.

I agree with you on the whole, but you're forgetting one thing:

Emmerton is a center.

Guest Crymson

He didn't play Emmerton much because Helm's injury made Emmerton pointless. Emmerton was in the lineup so that Abdelkader could play on the wing. When Abdelkader was moved up to center the 3rd line, Emmerton became irrelevant.

Sheahan isn't ready for the NHL yet. Andersson would fit better.

He didn't play Emmerton much because Helm's injury made Emmerton pointless. Emmerton was in the lineup so that Abdelkader could play on the wing. When Abdelkader was moved up to center the 3rd line, Emmerton became irrelevant.

Not trying to be argumentative, but why would they bring Sheahan in on the last game of the season if they figured he wasn't ready? That's not very "Detroit-esque" if you know what I mean. I get giving him a taste, but like another poster said, he brings size and the willingness to play the grinder hockey that Emmerton may not be capable of doing.

I do agree Andersson may be a better fit also.

Edited by jthiel86

Guest Crymson

Not trying to be argumentative, but why would they bring Sheahan in on the last game of the season if they figured he wasn't ready? That's not very "Detroit-esque" if you know what I mean. I get giving him a taste, but like another poster said, he brings size and the willingness to play the grinder hockey that Emmerton may not be capable of doing.

I do agree Andersson may be a better fit also.

I imagine Babcock wanted to see what he was made of. And yes, I agree that Sheahan is a far better grinder, but his defensive abilities may be mediocre and he's a terrible skater.

i'm really upset about helm but nyquist did look promising when he was up. its nyq's time to prove himself and I'm sure he'll do just that. go wings!

lol...how so? he had his 7 points in like 9 or 10 games in the top 6! and then he got plugged on the 4th line with Emmerton and Homer. Let's see you produce with those 2 and with 4th line minutes. Your post is laughable. Nyquist is gonna win the Calder next year if he's in the top 6. Save this post. Babcock will ultimately decide whether or not he wants a Wing to win that trophy for the first time since.....who exactly???

Emmerton is terrible and yes we do have someone else who has played center before in his career... DREW MILLER!!!

Here are what I think the lines should be:

Datsyuk- Zetty- Homer

Franzen-Fil-Hudler

Cleary-Abdelkator-Bertuzzi

Conner-Miller-Nyqust

- Solid top line and pavel can't win faceoffs because his wrist is injured and him playing with hank is way better then useless Franzen. Also Homer was fantastic last game and the Wings top 2 lines were lacking consistent net front presence all game- - Homer will provide that

- Solid 2nd line that has worked magic in the past

- solid 3rd line checking line that was amazing last year in the playoffs. The addition of Bert really solidifies the line imo

- Miller can center the 4th line and he would have 2 speedy Wingers to work with... this could be a really good energetic line for Mike Babcock

I think these lines would be our best.

At first glance, I scoffed and said, "yeah, and his brother is a goalie, put him in there too."

But then I read and I find your logic and reasoning to be good. If I weren't out of plusses, I'd plus you.

I wouldn't use that setup during the playoffs, but given that this is the post-season and everyone is playing (or should be playing) a new game, I say "bring it!"

Some common misconceptions need to be cleared up in this thread (I think):

1. Sheahan is absolutely eligible to play in the playoffs because the Wings already owned his rights. It is similar to how the Rangers signed Chris Kreider (who spent the season with boston College) to an ELC. In fact, Kreider signed the contract after the last regular season games had been played. Both Kreider and Sheahan are eligible.

2. It is true that there is a lot more to playing centre than just taking face-offs. However, all three forwards (in the defensive zone) will rotate depending on how the other team is cycling the puck. At any given time you may see Zetterberg switch off with either Filppula or Hudler. The only difference is that a more concerted effort will be made to get the true centre back down low when a switch with a lesser capable winger has been made (i.e. hudler). If Zetterberg rotates with Filppula then they more often not don't even try to switch back.

So a fourth line all all wingers is definitely possible. I don't think it will happen but in tonight's game watch and see how many times Miller and Emmerton rotate positions in the D-zone. Most coaches stay away from an all winger 4th line because in today's NHL with the no change icing it is far too easy to get caught on the ice.

3. Emmerton was not in the line up (Game 1) so that Abdelkader could play the wing. Abdelkader started as the fourth line centre with Emmerton and Holmstrom as his wingers. Emmerton was in the line up in case Helm reaggrevated his knee. Then the rest is history.

Edited by mmamolo

I would love to see Emmerton sit. Sheahan would be my number one choice to replace him. I dont know why Emmerton has remained in the lineup. He doesnt play center very well.

This is the problem with the Wings' "overripe" approach. Emmerton has shown enough that they want to hang on to him, but they waited until he was completely out of minors eligibility to find out. They need to let a prospect go thru his rookie growing pains while they've still got options. Otherwise, you discover a kid's a borderline NHLer but you're stuck keeping him on the big league roster because you'll lose him on waivers.

All the potential line combinations make me dizzy. BUT, Isn't Hudler a "natural center" also? Could he center a third line with Abdelkader on the wing?

Hudler is WAY too slow to play centre. But if it meant that Nyquist jumped on the Z-Flip line and Hudler quit bogging it down with his slowness and lack of creativity, i'd be all for it. Gus should be in the top 6, he's speedy and creative.

All the potential line combinations make me dizzy. BUT, Isn't Hudler a "natural center" also? Could he center a third line with Abdelkader on the wing?

Abby has been good on faceoffs, but he isn't as effective physically when he has to have a defense first mentality. With that said, I think he would be good centering a more skilled line that is more puck control and less dump-and-chase.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Nyquist-Filppula-Franzen

Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Hudler

Miller-Emmerton-Cleary

I think this gives the best possible spread with Helm out. Here's why:

-Loading up on the first line completely occupies the Weber/Suter pairing, and by throwing Holmstrom in there you KNOW one of them is tied up out front of the net and screening Rinne even more.

-The second line has all kinds of skill and can score-Franzen and Nyquist have shown that they work well and that line will be hard to match.

-The third line gives you some grit and skill - Hudler can be effective down here on the third line as he will have more time and space and he's with two big bodied guys - this line depends on Hudler elevating his game and being the go to guy with the puck.

-The fourth line is pretty solid considering Cleary played like a man possessed last night and looked great. This line gives you a good grinding line that will be responsible with the puck. Its not anchored anymore by Holmstrom and can crash and bang as needed.

A lot of people are saying that it makes sense to have Franzen or Fil play 3rd line center, but I think this gives you the most bang for your buck. Emmerton can handle 4th line duties-albeit he won't win you games but I think that fourth line won't lose you any either.

This. Followed by a game 2 and eventual series win.