• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Din758

Hometown discount for Nick next year?

Rate this topic

Mr I don't believe in no internal budget. Kenny just waited too long and couldn't find a deal that appealed to him at the deadline.

Kenny just thought that his team was better than what it was...he thought people would step up, he just knew Franzen would "return." Hudler would "appear," Bertuzzi would "impact," the list will go on and on. He "liked" this team and felt that trading someone that he feels is the heart of this team was not worth the risk. Well, IMO, the heart of this team starts at Datsyuk & Zetterberg and ends with Helm & Abby. Franzen & Cleary are not part of that. Not that anyone inquired about those two, but I would really like to see what some of the offers were out there. Just to find out what Holland passed up on. He definitely overpaid for Quincey, I really would love to see what Columbus wanted for Nash. What Anaheim was wanting for Perry...etc...prices were probably very high, but just to know what Holland actually passed on would be very interesting...

Is he not killing penalties right now because of his injury or because of his age/speed?

It's because his ankle still isn't 100%. On the PK, he's putting that bad foot forward as a shot-blocking foot and they don't want to risk him being out of the lineup entirely.

So Lidstrom would be making less money than Ericsson?

It would be only for one last season and it would be to acquire REAL talent for this team...if he signs for more, then all we'll see is more of this crap we've seen since Feb. Retire or $2M....only options to make this team back into a contender...

Discount with Suter and Parise? Ummm, yes? Of freaking course!!!!!!

Would be nice if he'd want 3,but Ericsson earns 3.25 mil.ffs :lol:

If this the only argument people are bringing to the table then I think you are all totally missing the point. It's a business, people, do you want another Cup? Nick has made 93 mill in his career, take one for the greatest organization in the world for 1 season to hoist Lord Stanley 1 more time.

Guest irishock

5.5 is my guess. We can't afford to lose him this offseason because of financial reasons, which would be the stupidest possible way to let Nick walk into the sunset. He can play until he's 45 if we limit him to maybe 62 games a season (not playing on second night of back to backs), then he wouldn't suffer injuries like the one he has this year.

He's been taking hometown discounts for years.

If he decided to ride off into the sunrise (since he's headed to Sweden), I wish him the best and thank him for his service.

If he comes back, I'm not going to let an ankle injury to a guy who rarely ever gets injured colour my view of his worth.

Any hometown discount will be appreciated, as they have been in the past. I really, really hope he returns.

I have never been on the Lidstrom discount train. I'm not even screaming 'discount or retire' this year as some people here are. That being said, this is the first time that I actually see it as a possibility.

If the Wings get bounced tonight the Wings and Lidstrom are going to discuss their plans for next year as Lidstrom will be contemplating his return. Lidstrom has long said that he wants to keep playing if (1) he can physically play at a level he deems acceptable, and (2) if the Wings are contenders. Last season the Wings had cap space but not an overwelming need to add an impact player through a weak UFA class. This summer, however, the need for a scoring forward and a Stuart replacement are glaring. Lidstrom may view his potential discount as a serious feather in the Wings' cap (no pun intended) in terms of appealing to UFAs.

Imagine the Wings being able to say to either Suter or Parise, come sign with us for a chance to win and look at the dedication one of the greatest defenseman of all time is willing to do in order to create the best possible chance to win. Plus, I could definitely see Lidstrom taking a page out of Yzerman's book by doing anything he could in order to usher in the next generation

If he's still the best defenseman on the team then he'll probably be paid like it. Kronwall's cap hit is what, around 4 mil? Then let's hope they can re-sign Nick for 4.5 mil if he doesn't retire.

EDIT: Okay Kronner's cap hit is 4.75 mil. Then let's hope for a 5 mil cap hit for Nick if he decides to play one more year.

Edited by Red Wings Addict