• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest RedWingsDad

Which players will get bought out?

Rate this topic

Guest The Axe

Franzens contract is good on the back end, isnt it? Didnt they pay him heavier upfront?

Franzens contract is good on the back end, isnt it? Didnt they pay him heavier upfront?
yes but the cap hit is the same for each year. Pus it's another roster spot that could be used to develop a younger player

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...

Wow, it's been a long time since I have posted here. All that I am going to say is that I stopped reading on this forum because of the lockout thread, of which the mods finally locked down, that thread really left a bad taste; no matter what the outcome comes to be.

Having fun reading this thread though. Almost like a FA thread with a few unknowns still hanging out there.

Guest RedWingsDad

I think the players most likely to get bought out are Sammy, Colliacovo, or Tootoo. I think all three of these players were not ideal signings for Holland, but rather him taking the 'best available' options. If there are more ideal players available that Holland wants to go after, I can see two of them getting bought out - though I think Tootoo is the least likely to go of the three.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Holland overpaid for Tootoo, but, honestly, I think the guy's gonna be even more important now, with the shortened season, than he would've been with the full 82. Why? Because we're insanely soft and insanely injury-prone - and that's under normal, non-post-lockout circumstances, when everyone's (supposed to be) in top shape. I'm fully expecting at least half of our top-sixers to go down within the first five games.

Off-topic, but...is the site formatting all screwed up for anyone else? Edited by Dabura

Guest RedWingsDad
Holland overpaid for Tootoo, but, honestly, I think the guy's gonna be even more important now, with the shortened season, than he would've been with the full 82. Why? Because we're insanely soft and insanely injury-prone - and that's under normal, non-post-lockout circumstances, when everyone's (supposed to be) in top shape. I'm fully expecting at least half of our top-sixers to go down within the first five games.

Yeah, very true. I agree he is valuable to our team. I just wonder what Holland would do if an even more 'ideal' enforcer / agitator became available in the off-season through FA or buyout. For the record, if that happened and it was up to me, I would keep Tootoo AND add another like player. I love the Wings, but they are waaay too soft...

Off-topic, but...is the site formatting all screwed up for anyone else?

It is screwed up for me too,, has been for a bit now. I do not agree Holland overpaid in comparison to the deals being shelled out this off season. This summer every player was worth more money and in order to aquire them they had to pay the going rate. Supply and demand. I like Tootoo, and I think he will do a good job for us. Only thing I dont like is that now I'm going to have to hear Mick and Murph's Tootoo jokes wayyyy more.

I think the players most likely to get bought out are Sammy, Colliacovo, or Tootoo. I think all three of these players were not ideal signings for Holland, but rather him taking the 'best available' options. If there are more ideal players available that Holland wants to go after, I can see two of them getting bought out - though I think Tootoo is the least likely to go of the three.

Yeah I think Toot's is a very interesting pickup. I really want to get a chance to see him play with the wings. Players just seem to be different when playing with the wings. You never know. Like you said in the other post would love to see another tough guy picked up. The wings will need it in this short season.

Edited by hillbillywingsfan

Guest RedWingsDad
I agree with ya on Sammy - however IMHO we need Cola on D to help replace what we lost, and Tootoo for that much needed grit/tuff guy presence the Wings have lacked for oh so long...

I'd rather see guys like Bert, and or Miller let go before Cola/Tootoo.

I totally agree with you about Cola being needed on D at present, I should have clarified that I think we will buy him out if we can find a more suitable alternative through FA or buyout in the off-season.

Buy-outs can't be done until after the 2013 season. At that point, both Sammy & Colaiacovo will be in the last year of their deals at $3m & $2.5m respectively. Tootoo will have 2 years left at $1.9. Given the years remaining, buying out Tootoo makes more sense but it's not like he's costing the Wings a whole lot at $1.9.

Personally, the only possible buy-outs I see are The Todd and/or Carlo if their health goes south this year. From a long-term cap flexibility standpoint though, the ones that would really make sense are Hank, Mule, & Kronner actually, but I don't think any of those (including Franzen) will happen.

Guest RedWingsDad
Buy-outs can't be done until after the 2013 season. At that point, both Sammy & Colaiacovo will be in the last year of their deals at $3m & $2.5m respectively. Tootoo will have 2 years left at $1.9. Given the years remaining, buying out Tootoo makes more sense but it's not like he's costing the Wings a whole lot at $1.9.

Personally, the only possible buy-outs I see are The Todd and/or Carlo if their health goes south this year. From a long-term cap flexibility standpoint though, the ones that would really make sense are Hank, Mule, & Kronner actually, but I don't think any of those (including Franzen) will happen.

The angle I am looking at is that Holland would buy out Sammy, Col, or whomever to free up cap space to go after a more desirable FA during this off-season. I don't think long-term cap hit would be his primary concern... partly because I don't think he will want to dump any of our longer term contracts.

I think GMs like Holland should be rewarded for being cap compliant right now. Something needs to be done to give responsible GMs some leverage over the crappy ones. It really sucks that some of these teams that have signed players to HORRIBLE contracts are going to be given a "get out of jail free" card.

Holland JUST signed Colaiacovo, Tootoo, Sammy, Monster, Brunner, and re-signed Bert. If Brunner doesn't pan out his contract will be done at years end anyways. Bertuzzi won't be bought out unless he completely tanks this season. Sammy and Colaiacovo would really have to screw up to get bought out right after being signed, along with Monster. Tootoo just needs to get under the other teams skin to stay on our team.

My choice would be Quincey (if we can pick up a decent d-man and a #1-3 dman) and Abdelkader. I like that Mursak and Kindl will be done after this year assuming they do not re-sign him, and I like Colaicovo. He is a solid d-man in his own end works hard and does his job, if (and thats a big IF) he can stay healthy for the majority of the season he could definately be a #3-4 dman for us.

The angle I am looking at is that Holland would buy out Sammy, Col, or whomever to free up cap space to go after a more desirable FA during this off-season. I don't think long-term cap hit would be his primary concern... partly because I don't think he will want to dump any of our longer term contracts.

Might all depend on whether Kenny gets Flip, Howie, & Brunner resigned & who gets bought out from other teams but I don't see Kenny being a big UFA player, especially when it comes to the forward ranks. The need is going to be on D if White & Kindl aren't re-signed. Looking through the UFA list for after this season, I don't see any names that should take big money to sign, that is again unless a big name gets bought out. As it stands now, the Wings aren't looking bad at all with roughly $20m in cap space going into this next offseason.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2338073" data-time="1357536482"><p>

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...</p></blockquote>

This is my sentiment. Im not a huge fan, but the contract for Franzen is fair.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2338073" data-time="1357536482"><p>

All of you proposing, or suggesting, Franzen be bought out have lost your damn minds. He STILL scored 29 goals last year and led the team, on a down year, AND his cap hit is less than 4m a year... Take a look around the league at comparable contracts... Kenny would be certifiably INSANE to buy out his contract and just give him a TON of money to NOT play here... this isn't just cap space, this is real money and this is still a business... Furthermore, I GUARANTEE teams would trade for him, if for nothing more that a low draft pick (and even that is an insane suggestion) if we truly just wanted him gone, so why in the hell would we buy him out?!? Suggestions like this really make me think some people on this board have been enjoying recreational drugs WAYYYY too much...</p></blockquote>

This is my sentiment. Im not a huge fan, but the contract for Franzen is fair.

Franzen would have been worth about 6mil in free agency this off season, I stand by the fact that anyone who can score 30+ goals for us is worth 4mil.

Why are there so many people on here guessing that players that just signed with teams will be bought out? What kind of sense would that make? Hey....we just signed you to fill a deficiency, but we changed our mind cause our GM knows not what he's doing. Why waste the time in the first place signing a guy then? And in many cases, with the fact that there's been 12 out of 30 teams allegedly recording profits, some teams may not be able to afford to buy out contracts and sign others under the newer cap. Depending on how deep teams can reach into revenue sharting to bandage their mistakes.

Franzen would have been worth about 6mil in free agency this off season, I stand by the fact that anyone who can score 30+ goals for us is worth 4mil.

I'm by no means a big Franzen fan, but if you have 2 quick defensively responsible forwards like Dats and Nyquist on with him then he should earn his 4 mil with about 25 goals in 48 games. He just needs to get his fat ass in shooting position and then it won't seem so bad when he waits for his linemates to do the rest.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Euro_Twins" data-cid="2338210" data-time="1357582097"><p>

<br />

Franzen would have been worth about 6mil in free agency this off season, I stand by the fact that anyone who can score 30+ goals for us is worth 4mil.</p></blockquote>

Agreed.

Overpaying defiitely is the norm now, but I still think Holland paid a bit too much for Tootoo. Beyond that, though, I've loved the signing from the moment I learned of it. And yeah - no one (certainly not Holland) is going to buy out a player acquired right before the lockout. And even if Holland were keen on the idea, I think he'd dig into his own piggy bank if it meant keeping Our Lord and Savior, Mikael Samuelsson.

Colaiacovo is always injured. Alllllllways. I think that's worth considering.

If Holland wants to send a message, shake things up, he ships Franzen. Regular season production means nothing in the postseason. I'm fairly certain he'll be a Wing for life, though. For better or for worse.

Bertuzzi's one of my favorites on this team, but, admittedly, that has more to do with his character 'n' such than the stuff that really matters re: winning in the playoffs.

Going into 13/14, the Wings have 10 forwards under contract: Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Samuelsson, Helm, Bertuzzi, Tootoo, Abdelkader, Eaves, and Emmerton. Who knows what's going to happen with Eaves (health) and Emmerton (numbers game), they may not be here by then. RFAs are Nyquist and Mursak. I'd expect Nyquist back, and maybe Mursak depending on what he does this season (if he even plays here). UFAs are Filppula, Cleary, Brunner, and Miller. They've said they want to re-sign Filppula, I imagine Brunner would be back if he plays well, they could let Cleary walk, and Miller's situation would depend on numbers. I would also expect most or all of Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Ferraro, and Andersson (RFA) to challenge for roster spots. That's a lot of guys going for 13 or 14 spots. Either a few guys would have to be dealt or Holland could use the buyouts. IMO, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi are the perfect candidates. Both would be old (Samuelsson 37 and Bertuzzi 38), no better than 3rd line players, and it would free up just over $5M in cap space to help retain Filppula, Howard, Smith, and shore up the defense.

As for buying out guys who were just signed... the Wings had signed Ray Whitney and Derian Hatcher to contracts in the summer of 2003. Both were bought out at the conclusion of the last lockout.

On the topic of buy-outs but from other teams, wonder if this will force the Islander's hands:

#Isles news: L. Visnovsky has decided to stay in Slovakia for the rest of the season, via his agent. Statement to come.

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday/status/288408359785345024

Edited by ogreslayer

I doubt Luongo gets bought out, he's likely to be traded to Toronto or maybe Florida. I think this bail out-er-buyout clause is to help teams get rid of guys like Gomez, Redden, Dipietro, etc. Players no one would trade for that their current team also wouldn't want to keep. At least realistically. It could also be to keep players from signing and getting lazy (or at least trying enough to be the third worst contract on the team).

As for us, I think if Franzen doesn't smarten up he could find himself bought out. Other than that, I don't see many bad contracts. Holland's played his cards pretty well. We'd have to really reach to start calling guys like E, Quincey or Sammy bad deals. Almost every team has those type of contracts.