• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest RedWingsDad

Which players will get bought out?

Rate this topic

Guest RedWingsDad

I thought this discussion deserves it's own topic. Which players will get bought out if buying out a players contract is a provision in the next CBA?

I'll start with what I think is an obvious one:

Luongo (Vancouver)

_

Well documented that Luongo is willing to leave Vancouver and that they are also willing to part with him.

Guest The Axe

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2337449" data-time="1357233145"><p>

Doesn't Dipietro still have something like 7 or 8 years left on his contract? <br />

<br />

The islanders could finally get out of yet another awful deal they made. <br />

<br />

The funny part is they'll still be paying for the Yashin buyout through 2015. </p></blockquote>

Yikes. Forgot about Yashin.

Franzen on our side?

Guest Johnz96
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="haroldsnepsts" data-cid="2337449" data-time="1357233145"><p>

Doesn't Dipietro still have something like 7 or 8 years left on his contract? <br />

<br />

The islanders could finally get out of yet another awful deal they made. <br />

<br />

The funny part is they'll still be paying for the Yashin buyout through 2015. </p></blockquote>

Yikes. Forgot about Yashin.

Franzen on our side?

Franzen is one of our best.

I can see the "******* All-Star" being bought out, along with Seto....isn't it ironic? :lol:

I am also willing to bet Tim Thomas gets bought out as well...They'd still be over the cap, but maybe with his concussion issues Marc Savard can also be bought out of Boston.

Luongo is a good candidate along with Edler...

This could be the year that Iginla leaves Calgary...or maybe just J. Bo. I can see them buying out Hudler too (just as long as he does NOT return to Detroit!)

In Philly it may be a given that Pronger gets bought out, they'd still have to drop about $2M, but they could shave that pretty easily...

I think San Jose finally says goodbye to Marleau

Chicago will dump Hossa which will pave his way back to Detroit!

I believe Lieno gets the Heevho out of Buffalo!

Say goodbye to 1 goal Gomez in Montreal!

Hamrlik and Wolski could be done in Washington!

Toronto is a hard one, it all depends what the pick up Luongo for....

I could see Brewer, Salo or Ohlund out of Tampa

All that young talent in Edmonton, could Smyth be done?

Penner or Mitchell may be sent packing in LA LA Land...

In the Motor City, such a pity, but because of nagging injuries, Eaves will bid adieu and just to clear some more space, Emmerton and Kindl, for a possilble pick up or two...Could big Bert be done?

Last team over the $60M cap, but not by much, I can see Pittsburgh setting free, Pasqal DuPuis...

I could see Holland not buying anyone out, but I'd hope it would be Franzen.

Maybe 4/5th now, with how lazy he plays. But for 10 more years (or whatever it is)? No thanks.

I bit my tongue on Franzen just so I wouldn't get flamed because of my well known hatred for that puke...Buy out Eaves, Franzen, Emmy and Kindl...Pick up Hossa and Mitchell

Question is, will Holland be man enough to cowboy up and admit his mistake by buying out Franzine and picking up Hossa? If he has ANY integrity, he will!

Edited by LeftWinger

I just had a question regarding guys like Pronger, and Savard because I can't remember how it works at the moment.

Since these guys are out with concussions aren't they on the long term injured reserve and don't count against the cap?

Penner really redeemed himself in the playoffs for LA but has not earned his contract otherwise, so it'll be interesting to see what they do with him. And Mitchell was probably their best D-man in the playoffs.

Honestly Penner only has one more year on his deal so I'd be surprised if the Kings did anything with either of those two. I'd think they'd just let them play out their contracts.

Though if they wanted to wiggle out of their Richards or Carter deals, this would be the time. That seems unlikely though too. Maybe Carter.

I bit my tongue on Franzen just so I wouldn't get flamed because of my well known hatred for that puke...Buy out Eaves, Franzen, Emmy and Kindl...Pick up Hossa and Mitchell

Question is, will Holland be man enough to cowboy up and admit his mistake by buying out Franzine and picking up Hossa? If he has ANY integrity, he will!

At the moment, the NHL is only proposing allowing 2 buyouts penalty free. So the Wings could (theoretically) buy out Eaves, Franzen, Emmerton and Kindl, they would still be on the hook cap-wise for 2 of their salaries.

Guest RedWingsDad

Buy out monster, pick up Thomas to challenge Howard. Winning.

(unrealistic, I know)

Can someone please explain how these buyouts would work on a timeline basis?

Say a deal was signed in 8 days. Does this mean:

- buyouts happen right away?

- no bought out players can be picked up by a new team until that team has reached cap compliance (ie- bought out their 2 players)?

- when do these transactions happen?

Basically, last time the new CBA allowed buyouts in 06, teams had plenty of time to do this, and sign new players. This time, it would be approx. one week between the signing of a new CBA, and puck drop.

Guest Crymson
Doesn't Dipietro still have something like 7 or 8 years left on his contract?

The islanders could finally get out of yet another awful deal they made.

The funny part is they'll still be paying for the Yashin buyout through 2015.

They also lost Chara and a pick that ended up being Spezza in return for useless Yashin. He was a disaster for that organization.

Boston: Savard & Thomas
Rangers: Redden
Buffalo: Leino & Ehrhoff

Islanders: Dipietro

Vancouver: Luongo & Ballard

Montreal: Gomez

Philly: Pronger & Bryzgalov

Chicago: Hossa

Los Angeles: Carter

Tampa Bay: Lecavalier

Toronto: Komisarek

Pittsburgh: Martin

Edmonton: Horcoff

Would like to see wings go after Hossa, Ehrhoff, and Horcoff (good friends with helmer) if those buyouts happen

Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)

Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...

I'm not sure some of you guys are aware that those long term deals that were signed by younger players don't actually mean the team has to pay those guys until their mid forties. Once they retired those contracts are off the books. And since most guys don't play that long, their contracts aren't likely to be a big issue. Erhoff, Carter, Franzen, come to mind. All good contracts for their production, and none of them are likely to play until the end of the contract itself.

Edited by kipwinger

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2337527" data-time="1357262563"><p>

Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)<br />

<br />

Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...</p></blockquote>

How does a team with 68M on the books get down to 60M without buying out one massive contract or two modest ones. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Edited by rick zombo

i believe buy outs can only happen to active players....Savard /Pronger/ Eaves are on long term, therefore disconnected from the cap and on insurance protection.

once the are cleared a good bill of health, they would then be put on waivers, or roster space be made for said player.

i dont believe they can be released, per union rules of disability.

its like being fired while injured. i dont even think that Uwe Krupp got fired for "bad back=dogsled injury". ( lawyered up)

i believe buy outs can only happen to active players....Savard /Pronger/ Eaves are on long term, therefore disconnected from the cap and on insurance protection.

once the are cleared a good bill of health, they would then be put on waivers, or roster space be made for said player.

i dont believe they can be released, per union rules of disability.

its like being fired while injured. i dont even think that Uwe Krupp got fired for "bad back=dogsled injury". ( lawyered up)

If this is true that sucks for Philly and Boston. Savard and Pronger seemed like two of the most obvious buyouts

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2337533" data-time="1357266210"><p>

So - outta curiosity - which suggestions are in the "make believe world"?</p></blockquote>

Franzen - relatively small hit for 30+ goal scorer, PLUS the fact it's a massive amount of money out of pocket, real money, not just cap hit, to make said 30+ goal scorer go away

Hossa - see Franzen reasons

Penner - contract expires before cap goes down AND he would likely take less to stay in LA, coming of a very solid playoff

Luongo, Bryzgalov, Carter and Ehrhoff would all be a TON of money to just eat, REAL money, and all would likely be traded before bought out... Also, Break up Carter and Richards and they don't perform (they may die of coke od together, but that's a separate topic), and as for Bryz, they traded a bit to get his rights, then gave him a big deal, I'm sure they're not willing to eat that, at least not while they have the same GM...

Edited by stevkrause

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="rick zombo" data-cid="2337536" data-time="1357266650"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="stevkrause" data-cid="2337527" data-time="1357262563"><p><br />

Some of these suggestions are clear indications that a LOT of posters here live in make believe world... No team eats a MASSIVE amount of money, JUST to get under the cap, wastes their buyout on a guy who has an expiring contact before the cap goes down, or a guy that has a modest contract... the only obvious ones are Gomez, Thomas or DiPietro (if he were on a normal team, but it's the NYI, so they'll probably give him a bonus)<br /><br />

<br /><br />

Honorable mention to Leino, Redden, Jagr...</p></blockquote><br />

<br />

How does a team with 68M on the books get down to 60M without buying out one massive contract or two modest ones. Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what your thoughts are on this.</p></blockquote>

I should have been clearer when I said massive contact... I meant total dollars owed, not just per year, a guy with a shorter deal of big money is a perfect option, not a guy with 6+ years left, as that's real money paid to make a guy go away...

As for modest deals, I'm referring to the 2m or less guys... You buy a guy like that out just because you don't want him anymore, not for cap relief... So the Eaves, Emmerton, etc suggestions are ridiculous, and that's aside from the LTIR restrictions...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="LeftWinger" data-cid="2337453" data-time="1357235280"><p>

This could be the year that Iginla leaves Calgary...or maybe just J. Bo. I can see them buying out Hudler too (just as long as he does NOT return to Detroit!)<br />

<br />

<br />

Chicago will dump Hossa which will pave his way back to Detroit!<br />

</p></blockquote>

I would absolutely love for hossa to come back here!! ....but that's not going to happen. Also, I was thinking the flames might buy out jbo too with that ridiculous contract. I could see us trying to pick him up at least for a year if they do. I don't think they'd buy out a player they just signed tho lol (huds) but if we could find a way to get jbo just for the money it takes to sign him, I say do it.

Also, why are the quotes always messed up when I reply from my phone?