• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
edicius

Toronto fires Brian Burke

Rate this topic

The new Leafs GM will have quite the challenge with a roster looking something along the lines of this:

Lupul-Kessel-Bozak

Van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-MacArthur

Komarov(?)-McLement-Kulemin

Brown-Steckel-Frattin

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson

Gardiner-Liles

Komisarek-Holzer

Komisarek better play his ass off. I have a feeling he's on thin ice with the Leafs. He could find himself out of the top 6 D if someone up from the Marlies impresses (Fraser, Gardiner).

I suddenly feel so much better about the Wings this year. Wow that looks rough. Their D is better than ours though :/ Everything else except their first line looks like an AHL team.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2339162" data-time="1357869604"><p>

My guess is that unless Komisarek can play like he had while a Hab - he'll get bought out.</p></blockquote>

Yeah, I agree. He just hasn't been the same kind of player since coming to Toronto. I think when he first signed with the Leafs, he was given too important of a role on defense. He just needs to get back to playing his game- Blocking shots, killing penalties, and clearing the crease. The occasional point would be beneficial, as well. He's only 30 years old. Not like he's an aging vet quite yet.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="F.Michael" data-cid="2339172" data-time="1357875373"><p>

30 years old...Seems like yesterday when he was wearing the "rouge blanc et bleu" for the Canadiens.<br />

<br />

He's a prime example of somebody who should've stayed in Montreal where he was playing well, and generally liked by the fans.</p></blockquote>

"Rouge blanc at bleu pour les Canadiens de Montreal" :lol:

But yeah, I've always admired the way he plays. Sucks that he took the money and ran from Montreal.

commish has to be a diplomat who manages to get all the 30 GMs who seldom represent the very same interest, on the same page. I'm not sure Stevie Y is a good choice, there's no evidence to me.

Burke has an understanding of the game Bettman lacks. he could be an improvement from our, fans, point of view. but the other aspect is being able to float between the 30 GMs and get them to do something no one particularly is fond of, but what serves all the league at the longer distance. Bettman did it quite well I have to say. it's easy to hate him but it's also easy to forget he has to sell same vision to a bunch of guys who try to circumvent rules every way they can with mountains of money (i.e. Holmgren) and at the same time guys who lead decent organization in tough climate (i.e. Poille). can Burke do this? honestly, I don't think so. too hard nosed and not good enough as a diplomate. plus, I have serious concerns about his impartiality and integrity knowing how many of his buddies swerve around the NHL...

I think a good commissioner is someone, who can get the players and owners on board not some former New York Lawyer or people using their position for political agendas. Also a commissioner can't be a loud guy, I think someone like Gretzky or Messier would do wonders for this league.

A guy like Burke is best suited for small markets and with adding the last piece but not for rebuilding teams or media trollhouses like Toronto.

Edited by frankgrimes

LOL yeah I guess I did didn't I? Heh, but really he's a good guy. He's excitable and easy to pick on but he knows the game very, very well.

Ya there's no doubt he knows his stuff, what annoys people I think is that he goes over the top to often.

For those in Canada: Watch Brian Burke newser at noon ET on TSN2 and tsn.ca

This presser is just typical miserable self absorbed Burke, I like that he doesn't take s*** from anyone but his style just doesn't work with the do gooder politically correct squares these days.

How often does a media presser happen for a hockey GM who just got fired?

Anytime I see a clip of Burke saying something I think to myself, "Wow this guy really likes attention." The term "Media *****" comes to mind as well.

If it happens a lot and I just don't know then oh well but man that just seems rather odd to me.

How often does a media presser happen for a hockey GM who just got fired?

Anytime I see a clip of Burke saying something I think to myself, "Wow this guy really likes attention." The term "Media *****" comes to mind as well.

If it happens a lot and I just don't know then oh well but man that just seems rather odd to me.

The thing with Burkie is this:

The guy loves and "thrives" under the celebrity spotlight status as he clearly showed in Toronto. I think a role between Shanahan und Bettman as the mediator for penalties would be perfect for him, he likes a tougher style and wants players having to answer for their actions but please keep that guy away from the media. Also his believes of what a GM should be are false, your job as a GM is build a winner everything else is secondary thought at best.

I've watched an interview between him and Duthie - which I really respect by the way - at one time Burke came off real classy just to be become an absolute arrogant douchbag seconds later. If he learns to keep his political agenda to himself, calm down a lot more and using his IQ instead of his mouth he'll be another GM somewhere, someday soon if not I think he is done as a GM.

Makes you appreciate guys like Holland, Shero and Chiarelli (has to work under a tight budget although his team is making plenty of $) even more they are quiet guys just doing their business and getting the job done :-)

Having said that I think his person 2 person interview was way better than his exit video infront of the almost whole Toronto media.

Edited by frankgrimes