• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

OP: Why, exactly, are you outraged at the words of some random blogger?

#22 kook_10

kook_10

I Like Our Team

• Gold Booster
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

The Dead Things played a lot of games in front of a lot of empty seats.  That said, the Joe filled to capacity well before any cup appearances and has stayed there.

Edited by kook_10, 10 January 2013 - 05:20 PM.

works every time

#23 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Well I think there's some in every successful fan base.  I don't think we're any better or worse.  However, if my time here at LGW has taught me anything it's that there's more of it than you think.  Just wait until we lose a few too many games in a row this season and watch how many people either swear on our impending doom, or else swear off the team entirely only to turn around on the next hot streak and talk up the organization.  It happens, but again, probably no more than anywhere else.

I agree.

That kind of negative attitudes aren't shared by people who supported the team through thick and thin.  I know a lot of people who supported the Wings back in the 80s when they were considered to be the "Dead Things".  They don't have the same negative attitudes that many others today have when the Wings hit the skids and go on a 4-5 game losing streak.

As you said though, this happens no more than anyone else.

The author has it right though.  The Wings have been riding a huge wave of bandwagon fans because of all the success in the last 20 years.  When the Wings decline and don't make the playoffs for a couple seasons, the bandwagon fans will be gone.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#24 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

I didn't even bother to read the blog. Garbage. Detroit fans are the best state-side. 

#25 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I guess I still don't get why it's a bad thing to have bandwagon fans. They are more likely to do the impulsive buying of Red wings gear, tickets, $10 beers and merch from the games then most elitist fans that care that we even have bandwagon fans. New fans have to start somewhere right?

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 10 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#26 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

here in michigan when the tigers pistons and lions are good people will show up but when they are bad people will disappear. red wings are a constant, partially because they are always good, but most of all because this is hockey town and michigan loves hockey.

#27 ZachPariseisMyDaddy

ZachPariseisMyDaddy

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

A few things:

1. What is his team?  I bet he believes they have the most passionate fan base.

2. If you are going to write an article, what is your goal?  Getting traffic.  Attack the large fan bases and you'll get more views.

By looking at his archives, I think he's a Canucks fan...

OP: Why, exactly, are you outraged at the words of some random blogger?

I don't know... because I'm a passionate fan? Haha, who knows. 

#28 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

We may have a lot of bandwagon fans, but you have to admit, our wagon IS pretty pimp.

#29 ZachPariseisMyDaddy

ZachPariseisMyDaddy

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

We may have a lot of bandwagon fans, but you have to admit, our wagon IS pretty pimp.

Of course. Everyone loves winners. Can't complain! 

#30 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

here in michigan when the tigers pistons and lions are good people will show up but when they are bad people will disappear. red wings are a constant, partially because they are always good, but most of all because this is hockey town and michigan loves hockey.

I dunno, dude, the Lions have been about as consistently terrible as you can get, and they're still maintaining a pretty strong fan-base.

#31 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,243 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Honestly, I think a big part of this is that the Wings have been so successful for so long.  People my age generally aren't doing message boards - I just happen to be more hip than most.  :)  My generation is the die hard generation; no one dares question us.  Anyone born after 1980 is going to be hard pressed to not be called a bandwagoner.  

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#32 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

When people call me "bandwagon" for supporting the Wings, I point out that I have also supported the Lions for 4.5 decades.  No one ever accuses a Lions fan of being a bandwagoner.

I live in an area where there aren't a lot of pro hockey fans.  If I see someone in Wings gear, I talk to them.  Most are actual Wings fans, but some are just "oh, I got the coat for free" or "oh, it just looks cool".  I just want to smack them. 

I get excited when I meet someone who actually knows their stuff, but I'll settle for "ooooh, Zetterberg's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!"

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,140 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

I dunno, dude, the Lions have been about as consistently terrible as you can get, and they're still maintaining a pretty strong fan-base.

That's what I've always said.  

Detroit is a great hockey market but it's not really Hockeytown (any more than other great hockey cities).  It's definitely footballtown though because the Lions have been awful for decades and fans still faithfully go to games and watch them on tv.  

Whereas when the Wings were awful long long ago, Joe Louis was empty. 

#34 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

I've consistently hated the Lions for as long as I can remember.  Hence, I don't watch any football ever.  Not sure what that makes me, but I certainly didn't tune in last season when they looked impressive.  That said, I did have partial season tickets the year the Tigers set the record for most losses.  Ugh.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#35 BigWillieStyle

BigWillieStyle

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Another article article that fails to look into the reason that Detroit has so many fans around the country. He surely wasn't born before the first great migration in the early to mid 70's. Probably not born before the large migration that took place from 79-83. Maybe was in diapers during the 86-92 movement of jobs out of the state and subsequent economic downturn. Probably not even familiar with the all of the economic issues in the Detroit area that drove more people out of the state looking for work elsewhere during the 2000's. I can't for the life of me, see how there could be so many Wings fans across the country? :rolleyes:

Every team has "bandwagon" fans using this guys reasoning. Put Vancouver at the bottom of the standings for a few years, and his team will help show how dedicated their fans are, too. Outside of Toronto, Montreal, and The Rangers, every team will have empty seats if they don't put a competitive team on the ice.

#36 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

yes the lions do have very very loyal fans but when they finished 10-6 many people came out of no where to support them

#37 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I don't see how Detroit isn't a bandwagon team. That's not saying you are a bandwagon fan. It's just a lot of Red Wings fans are fans because of their success since the 90s. Teams like Pittsburgh may be bigger bandwagon teams right now, but Detroit is still one of the top ones. It's amazing how many of the fans down here in the South are either Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, etc. fans.

#38 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I don't see how Detroit isn't a bandwagon team. That's not saying you are a bandwagon fan. It's just a lot of Red Wings fans are fans because of their success since the 90s. Teams like Pittsburgh may be bigger bandwagon teams right now, but Detroit is still one of the top ones. It's amazing how many of the fans down here in the South are either Pittsburgh, Detroit, Chicago, Montreal, etc. fans.

You're not accounting for Michigan's massive outbound rate. The vast majority of Wings fans I know who live outside of Michigan are either folks who moved away from Michigan or the children of people who moved away from Michigan. More, I don't think that one refer to any longer as 'bandwagon fans' people who became fans of the Wings in the mid or late 90s and are still big fans today.

Your post is, in sum, very much assumptive.

Edited by Crymson, 10 January 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#39 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I get excited when I meet someone who actually knows their stuff, but I'll settle for "ooooh, Zetterberg's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute!"

Well.........  ;)

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#40 pvilleguru

pvilleguru

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

You're not accounting for Michigan's massive outbound rate. The vast majority of Wings fans I know who live outside of Michigan are either folks who moved away from Michigan or the children of people who moved away from Michigan. More, I don't think that one refer to any longer as 'bandwagon fans' people who became fans of the Wings in the mid or late 90s and are still big fans today.

Your post is, in sum, very much assumptive.

I live in Alabama and went to the Wings game in Atlanta a few years ago and a playoff game this year in Nashville. There were a ton of wings fans at both games. I'd wager a large sum of money that most of those people have no affiliation with Detroit or Michigan. Many people in the 90s AND EVEN TODAY are became and are becoming Red Wing fans simply because they are winning. I know a lot of people that have recently started watching the NHL and are choosing to become fans of other teams because they DON'T want to be viewed as bandwagon fans. Having bandwagon fans is NOT a bad thing. It simply means you are doing something right.