Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

So Holland knows what he's doing?

#22 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:34 AM

He's been playing very well this season. If he'd finally learn to use that cannon of a slapshot, he'd really be roaring.

I think the problem is it takes him so damn long to get it away.  There was a situation yesterday when he got the puck and was wide open, by the time he wound up and got it away the lane was gone.

I've been impressed by his snarl as much as anything. Giving guys a little cross-check, shoving them to the ice when the puck has gone etc.  I've been crying out for someone to do this for years.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#23 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I think the problem is it takes him so damn long to get it away.  There was a situation yesterday when he got the puck and was wide open, by the time he wound up and got it away the lane was gone.

I'm pretty sure that the issue is lack of confidence.

#24 UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

UP Wings Fan

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm gonna go against the flow and say I just am not seeing the dramatic improvement.  At best, I'll say he's cut down on the bone headed plays.  But he still makes them and there are way too many of them.

I think one of the reasons he seems to be improving in the eyes of some fans is because the rest of the defensive corps has collectively taken such a huge drop off in the last few years.

Basically, I still can't stop from cringing when it's a tight game and he's got the puck deep in the Wings zone and someone is bearing down on him and he has to make a quick decision.  When I can stop cringing in those situations - I'll start singing a different tune.

I agree with you here! E should look better than he has in years past, the comparison now is to guys like Quincey, who has been terrible, and then to the young guys Smith, Lashoff, Kindl!  E has been around for 5 years, I expect more than we get from him, especially at 3.25 million!  He is often out of position, obviously doesn't think the game well, and definitely is not using his size to his advantage.  Personally, I have been most impressed with Lashoff this season.  A young guy we hadn't heard much of before this season, stepping in and playing a very steady defense! A nice addition!

#25 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

He's better than Kronwall

#26 shoobiedoobin

shoobiedoobin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

He's been oru best defenseman, both in the obvious aspects of defense and in the little things most people don't notice. If he keeps this up a lot of people (yet again) owe Ken Holland an apology.

#27 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

He played well today. Played physical. Wired that game winner.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#28 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,897 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

He played well today. Played physical. Wired that game winner.

He had a great game today, even without the last second goal.  He looks poised out there.  Taking his time and making great outlet passes, playing physical.  He's likely never going to be a top pairing guy so there will be mistakes, but he's a solid middle pair and great on the PK. 

#29 AusWing40

AusWing40

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

I've defended him on my short time here and elsewhere around the internet. I even defended the contract when everyone cried we over paid.

He's looked damn good so far this season, I hope he continues improving, and playing consistently

#30 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

I'm pretty sure that the issue is lack of confidence.

Hopefully today's game winner sparks a little confidence. 

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#31 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Yep Ericcson was really good at the end of last season when he came back and awesome this year. He finishes all his checks anow and actually manhandles guys in the corners. I think being physical keeps his head in it more and maybe causes less mental mistakes

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#32 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

I think he's now for Wings what Brad Stuart used to be and he's being paid less.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#33 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th (whatever order I'm in), on how well Big E has been playing. Kindl has been playing well too, along with Quincey. I haven't noticed anything negative from Quincey for a few games. Our D seems to be coming into their own. I figured it would take 10 games or so for everyone to step into their new roles with Lidstrom gone.

I've defended him on my short time here and elsewhere around the internet. I even defended the contract when everyone cried we over paid.

He's looked damn good so far this season, I hope he continues improving, and playing consistently

You and me both, E's contract was based on market value.

There was a few times today during the game I said, "Nice play E". A few years ago I was saying, "Man, it's always an adventure when he has the puck".

Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#34 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Didn't see it, but listening on the radio, Kal/Woods had several good things to say about him today. E is 28 just gtting to the point where he is comfortable and experienced.

For those that complain about his contraxct now, wait untill after next season when he is a UFA. can you say 5 million? At this rate and level of play, yup. get ready.

#35 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

#36 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,216 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:25 PM

He's been real solid.

I'd love to see him shoot the puck more.

Posted Image

#37 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Its called dumb luck. There was no reason to expect Big E's resurgence. Unless holland legit has a crystal ball then there is no way he could have predicted this.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#38 The Greek

The Greek

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

Its called dumb luck. There was no reason to expect Big E's resurgence. Unless holland legit has a crystal ball then there is no way he could have predicted this.

How not? Holland and the coaching staff have far more and much more intimate knowledge about E than any of us will be able to gather from watching one hour of play per week. We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

#39 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

Any criticism Big E, or any other player for that matter (kindl, flip, franzen, etc), received at the time was deserved.  When players play like crap there's gonna be complaining and griping, and rightfully so.  Case in point, Cleary.  Cleary has served us well in the past but looks like dog turd right now.  He will continue to be the focal point of criticism until he improves his game.  So spare us all the ridiculous "told ya so" comments  when a player has a good game or stretch because it just makes the person saying it look childish.

esteef

• Ram likes this
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#40 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:24 PM

Ericssons criticism was not warranted. He was a young developing player on the 3rd pairing and people were acting like the wings weren't winning because Ericsson was on the team.

Immature whining is what I call it