263 replies to this topic

#1 P. Marlowe

P. Marlowe

4th Line Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:01 AM

MLive

Murphy was informed last week by Greg Hammaren, senior vice president and general manager of FSD, that his services were no longer required. Murphy had worked for the station in some capacity since 2002-03.

“I was shocked, didn't see it coming,'' Murphy told MLive.com. “They said they just needed a change, ratings weren't what they were. That was basically it (for an explanation).

“I'm still trying to figure it out.''

“It's disappointing,'' Murphy said. “I really enjoyed the job, working for Fox and covering the Detroit Red Wings.

“I'm going to miss it.''

It's a pity. I've gotten used to him. Ken, Micky and Larry were a nice team.

"Finger-pointing is easy. In some cases, even therapeutic. Fans need to blame something,

because the outcome is so frustratingly out of their control."
-- Mitch Albom

| Terry Sawchuk & Johnny Bower | | Extra Protection | | "Luckies never cut my wind." | | Straight to the Goal | | Dodging Traffic |
| Tom Waits - Get Behind the Mule | | Mikael Samuelsson Forever | | Mike Grier? |

#2 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:24 AM

It was those damn glasses.

#3 arag

arag

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 641 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

Farewell Larry ! Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

#4 Jusek

Jusek

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:30 AM

Woah, I'm shocked. Didn't see that coming. I'll miss you Murph!

"I consider the Detroit Red Wings one of the greatest franchises in any sport. For a player to come in and play, it's so special to wear the jersey."
-Steve Yzerman

#5 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

No!!! The hotdog sales are gonna plummet!

I ask you gentle folks of LGW...who's name are we gonna chant now after home games?

#6 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:37 AM

They said they just needed a change, ratings weren't what they were

And of course, replacing the #2 colour guy will see the ratings shoot up?  I hate it when management give BS excuses to staff.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#7 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,273 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

I do, too. But let's face it, Murphy was not a good commentator or color guy. I like him as a player and hate to see someone fired, but its probably a smart move.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#8 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:14 AM

This is absurd! Who didn't love Murphy, goofy as he was. This is very sad. As Nev said, you blame ratings for a hockey game on the Pierre McGuire of your local broadcast team? "Damn, Larry is on again, can't watch my Wings tonight"... Gimme a break!

LGW should prepare a petition, or at least a thank you/support card.

I do, too. But let's face it, Murphy was not a good commentator or color guy. I like him as a player and hate to see someone fired, but its probably a smart move.

I think he was entertaining. Not exactly the brightest or best, but loveable goof. What more do you want?

#9 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

Whaddya mean I can't beat BOSTON?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

This just in: Surplus of dollar hot dogs and cold Miller Lites expected through the end of the season at JLA.

"With the unexpected departure of Larry, we will be unable to adjust our ordering and inventories until after the end of the season," said an obviously befuddled concession manager. "That dude could eat his weight in dollar hot dogs and [as you could tell from his broadcasts] he LOVED those Miller Lites. Expect many unscheduled 'Dollar Hot Dog Nights' as we try to burn through this excess inventory."

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by Heineken and sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#10 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,709 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:41 AM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hated the glasses, but I loved Murph.  This is very sad news for me.  I enjoyed him immensely.

Money on the board:  Current total: $6

$1 for a goal by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster.  An additional $5 for a series-clinching goal scored by any current Wing after whom I have named a hamster. $5 if the other team fails to score against a current Wing goalie after whom I have named a hamster.

Hamsters I have had:  (current Wings highlighted)

Henrik Pavel Tomas Nicklas Dominik

Niklas Matthew Daniel Robert

Johan Andreas Valtteri Jonathan

Andrew Patrick Ian Todd

Jordin Damien Gustav James

#11 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I don't think he was all that good of a commentator, but yet, I don't see him as really effecting the ratings one way or the other.  I'm thinking that with Daren Eliot there (don't really care for him either), it was just an unnecessary salary being paid out.  I wonder too, if Mickey's health issues have become stable enough where he wants to be on the road now.  That was the original reason for Murphy's hiring was to be the color guy because Mickey would not do extended road trips due to his Celiac disease and cancer.  So if Mick went to management and said he wants to be back on the road full time, it sort of made Larry's job obsolete.  Not the brightest bulb in the box, but seemed like a nice guy.  Wish him well.

#12 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:54 AM

This is really sad and classless. As an out-of-market Wings fan, it's pretty jarring to see how low-quality that broadcast has become. Everything from the 80's era looking studio work to selling out the entire broadcast to an ambulance chaser law firm...and they blame Murph for the ratings. Right. Anyone with a GameCenter Live account who watches other broadcasts can see what i'm talking about. What I hate most is that ex-players on the broadcast (like Mick and Verbeek also) is a way of keeping players "in the family". Murph actually WANTS to live in Detroit and wanted to keep covering the team, and FSD decided they don't need him. Sad. Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

There has got to be more to this than "ratings."

Posted Image

#14 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

I feel bad for Murph.  I had no issues with him....  But, all I can think is - WHY couldn't it have been Pierre McGuire that we are hearing this about?  I have to mute the TV every time that guy is between the benches.  I don't know how he still has a job because I can't imagine that everyone else doesn't loathe him as well.

#15 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Hold on to something, everyone. Holland's starting from the ground up.

Posted Image

#16 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:22 AM

very strange, in terms of timing

#17 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

No!!! The hotdog sales are gonna plummet!

I ask you gentle folks of LGW...who's name are we gonna chant now after home games?

Thought the same thing lol

#18 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

Livid about this. Murph is an institution at Red Wing home games
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 art vandelay

art vandelay

Draftee

• 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

I thought Murphy was entertaining in his role.  I prefer a guy that looks like Clark Kent and at times appears nervous than a pierre maguire type.  Maguire is awful and walks all over Doc "Drive" Emerich and Eddie Active Stick Olczyk with his over the top vocabulary.  I'd rather hear Murphy than Maguire any day.  There is something cool about a guy who is not a proffesional broadcaster calling the games.   Murphy always reminded me of Clark Kent when they would talk between periods, which cracked me up. 

#20 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

This is stupid...he terrible when he started but I think he has come a long way is is actually quite good now. If I'm not mistaken he's done NHL network games and I am almost positive he will be hired by another/team network right away. Someone will eventually have to replace Mickey and I think Larry, while he can't replace Mickey timeless awesomeness, was in line for it. That said, I think he will actually get a bigger job. What a stupid excuse...as if Murphy somehow makes people change the channel. Lame.

Hold on to something, everyone. Holland's starting from the ground up.

Bahaha...