• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

I haven't seen a thread for this, but thought that it deserved mention... especially because Babcock got jipped out of a trophy that he truly deserved.

Finalists:

Bruce Boudreau - Ducks

Joel Quenneville - Hawks

Paul MacLean - Sens

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Edited for double chins

Edited by BleedRed&White25, 17 May 2013 - 12:22 PM.

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#2 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

I haven't seen a thread for this, but thought that it deserved mention... especially because Babcock got jipped out of a trophy that he truly deserved.

Finalists:

Both Boudreau - Ducks

Joel Quenneville - Hawks

Paul MacLean - Sens

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

Babs doesn't get mention because the team didn't clinch a spot in the playoffs until the final day of the season (for the Western Conference, anyway). That is pretty hard to overcome. 

I'm surprised that Adam Oates wasn't nominated in place of Bruce. Perhaps someone was angry that there will be no Caps/Pens series. Wonder who that could be...

#3 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm fine with Babs not being nominated, but how the F*** is Quennville on there!?!? If I'm remembering properly, hockey fans were citing Babcock having a stellar team in front him as being the reason for so few nominations. So now Quennville has a juggernaut Blackhawks squad and gets the nod? Unreal.

I feel like MacLean should get it, but Boudreau is deserving, too.

#4 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,984 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

Both Boudreau - Ducks

"Both"?

You must be referring to his chins.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#5 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think MacLean did more with less, so if I had a vote it would be for him.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#6 Jedi

Jedi

Spell Forged - Unparalleled Quality

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 9,807 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:42 PM

MacLean is a lock for this. Boudreau did well coaching a "paper tiger" to the #2 spot, so he'll get some consideration. But there's no doubt that MacLean overcame more challenges to get his team to the playoffs. Should be the Mustachioed Man winning this one.

And I agree, Quenville has a ridiculously loaded team to coach. Babcock was always passed over for that very reason, so it's a head scratcher as to why Q gets the nod.

snyoep.jpg
"I am the sword in the darkness... I am the watcher on the walls...
I am the shield that guards the realms of men..."

#7 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:45 PM

I would put MacLean first, then Babcock, then Todd Richards or jack Capuano

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#8 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:07 PM

Babs doesn't get mention because the team didn't clinch a spot in the playoffs until the final day of the season (for the Western Conference, anyway). That is pretty hard to overcome. 

Normally that's the easiest way to get yourself a Jack Adams (cf Boudreau).  Agree with all the others, Babs produces a juggernaught in 2008 and gets diddly squat for it.

Then again, I've always said that the Adams is the biggest joke of all the NHL trophies.  That Scotty Bowman only has 2 of them, after 35 years of coaching winning, dominant teams, shows what a joke it is.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#9 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

Normally that's the easiest way to get yourself a Jack Adams (cf Boudreau).  Agree with all the others, Babs produces a juggernaught in 2008 and gets diddly squat for it.

Then again, I've always said that the Adams is the biggest joke of all the NHL trophies.  That Scotty Bowman only has 2 of them, after 35 years of coaching winning, dominant teams, shows what a joke it is.

9 (or more?) Stanley cups, coached the Candiens' team and the Wings team that hold the regular season records for wins and points I believe? 

#10 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

Considering the turnaround of the Capitals from how they were playing when Boudreau was gone and Oates took over, he should be on this list. 

As the nominees sit, the walrus should take it home. 

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#11 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Q on that list is a joke. I herd experts saying at the start of the year that if the Wings made the playoffs that Babs should get a nomination for coach of the year because of how much their roster downgraded in the past couple years especially with the defense but I don't really mind the other two nominations.

#12 Resetti

Resetti

Rookie

• Pip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

It's got to be MacLean.  His team was competitive despite losing their top forward, top defender, and top goalie for long stretches of the year.  That is a kind of adversity that neither of the other finalists really faced.

I'm somewhat surprised that Michel Therrien wasn't nominated.  He took a Montreal Canadiens team from dead last to second place in the East.  That's an immediate impact that deserves some recognition, in spite of the end-of-season implosion.

#13 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:36 PM

Has to be MacLean and it shouldn't even be a question. How can you justify Q on that list? Guy has done nothing other than let an overloadedd Hawks team go out and play. I think instead of him, Babcock and Capuano should have been on that list, what a joke.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#14 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

I thought the same seeing Q on that list.....wut?

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#15 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm surprised that Adam Oates wasn't nominated in place of Bruce. Perhaps someone was angry that there will be no Caps/Pens series. Wonder who that could be...

You're incorrect on the first point. Bruce Boudreau's 2008 Capitals made the playoffs at the very end of the season, too. As for your second point, also untrue. All voting for awards is done before the playoffs begin.

Babcock will be forever jipped out of this award. It is something commonly remarked upon by hockey commentators. Blowing away every other team in 2007-2008 didn't get it for him, and making the playoff this season despite a substantial transition and a ton of injuries didn't even get him into the top three.

It's a joke.

#16 sean

sean

Rookie

• Pip
  • 171 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

I don't mind Q getting the nomination.  He's a great coach, and has been, for a long time. When a team can attain that record in today's parity-happy context, the coach does deserve some credit.

I think BB was the worst of the nominees.  I've never been too high on him.  He had every chance to make it happen with the Caps, and couldn't.  In game seven vs. Detroit, Babs manhandled him, in the coaching department, and BB even admitted during the series that Babs was an excellent (read: superior to me) coach.

what

#17 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:38 AM

With those three nominees, MacLean is the obvious choice, followed by MacLean's moustache for 2nd, & the Paul MacLean look alike for 3rd.

senators21.jpg?w=620

#18 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:08 AM

While MacLean definitely has this award locked up, Babcock definitely should have received a nomination. Losing the best defenseman to ever play the game, and another rock solid defender and still leading this team to their 22 consecutive playoff appearance. That warrants a nomination in my books.