Photo
- - - - -

What is happening to the league/sport I love?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

The NHL doesn't care about how good the team is, it cares about how much revenue it can bring in.  When you say "parity" do you think they are talking about the competition? No. They are talking about revenue and salary parity.  The NHL wanted a cap so the Detroit's of the league can not sign all the big names anymore.  They wanted the smaller markets to be the only ones who can sign the big names so they can generate more revenue with those names.  Why do you think Minnesota was able to sign the Olsen Twins over the summer? Do you think for a minute that id there was no salary cap that those guys would have gone to Minnesota? You make it so the successful franchises cannot sign the big names, now the small markets get to give them $14M a year and people buy the Parise and Suter jersey's.  But when it comes down to it, the team is so mismanaged that they still aren't as good as the same top 6 teams that are always there. Now Minnesota is probably going to be forced to buyout a top player and all of a sudden the team isn't even as good as it was this past season.

If we had league parity on a talent scale, then there would be different teams in the final 4 every year. (at least more than there is now.) But no, the 5 remaining teams where the last 5 Stanley Cup winners.

It's all about generating a couple years of profits in a city, its not about winning. At least to the NHL.  To the fans, once they realize their team still sucks, even with the superstar on their team, they stop going to the games...especially in places like Nashville, Florida, Phoenix and Carolina. You see how well it did for the Preds when they signed Weber to that huge contract... Sure, fans will go for a couple of seasons to see if the teams gets better around Weber, but it won't and they will stop coming....again.

This is what I meant.

#22 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 07:12 AM

Why make teams play back to back in the conference finals, when if you schedule the eastern conf to start on Friday you could have had a game every night with no back to back games?

There was a scheduling conflict; a bunch of old guys had first dibs on renting the United Center.

More teams in the playoffs?! Why! over half of the teams already make the playoffs? The way they are talking all but 10 teams would make the playoffs.

Mo' playoffs = Mo' money...mostly for the owners.

Uncle Gary's main objective is to make the most money for the owners as possible.

Crappy television coverage on what is basically a second-rate network? He doesn't care because he makes more money.

Questionable calls by on-ice officials? He doesn't care because games are called the same from the first game through the last game of the season. At least that's what he's spouted and what he's always wanted people to believe.

Having the support of the "greatest sports fans in the world"? He doesn't care, it's just a label. He's more concerned with building up the "war chest' for all of the upcoming lockouts, on the backs and out of the pockets of the "fans" he claims to love so dearly.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 04 June 2013 - 07:13 AM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#23 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:26 AM

There was a scheduling conflict; a bunch of old guys had first dibs on renting the United Center.

Mo' playoffs = Mo' money...mostly for the owners.

Uncle Gary's main objective is to make the most money for the owners as possible.

Crappy television coverage on what is basically a second-rate network? He doesn't care because he makes more money.

Questionable calls by on-ice officials? He doesn't care because games are called the same from the first game through the last game of the season. At least that's what he's spouted and what he's always wanted people to believe.

Having the support of the "greatest sports fans in the world"? He doesn't care, it's just a label. He's more concerned with building up the "war chest' for all of the upcoming lockouts, on the backs and out of the pockets of the "fans" he claims to love so dearly.

Mark my words, Pens and Kings will win game 3 even if they don't deserve to.  The refs will immediately kill the B's and Hawks momentum with a fluffy call and Bettman will sit in the crowd with that smug s***eating look on his face thinking to himself, some players make more than me now, more game 7's could get me a raise.  Hurr durr skippety derp Go Bettman!

He should be on the cover of NHL 14 with the players, owners and the NHL logo on puppet strings.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.